X ray Hooves and $?

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by kathera, Jan 21, 2010.

1. kathera

kathera Active Member

I am having constant lameness problems with my boy and to really find out what is going on, want to take him in for xray of front hooves as i think it is rotated peddal bone.
    Has anyone done this recently, had much info from the results, and what did it cost?
    Fingers crossed for some good news tomorrow with xrays, my horse has gone from a successful year to the last three months of poor soundness.....

2. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

i havent done hooves but did fetlocks.

at belvior its $50 per plate so for both front feet would probably be $200 as you would need a front and side of each hoof

3. kathera

kathera Active Member

ok thanks, i didnt know whether 200 0r 2000! and hoped not the latter. I will give chris a call in the am.
    Last time i went there my last horse PTS, i hope i get a better result this time!!

4. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

theres a $95 consultation fee then the plates and sedatives or nerve blocks if needed. most of the time sedatives arent needed. (i did work experiance there)

doesnt work out to expensive and i had plates, nerve blocks, joint block, stable fee (for the day) etc and wasnt even $1000 so definatly couldnt complain and i learnt alot and got to help with it

5. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

If the horse is lame they generally want to do nerve blocks before xraying to make sure they are xraying the part of the horse that the lameness is coming from ;) Mainly because changes on xrays do not necessarily indicate lameness so they want to be able to correlate the two.

Good luck getting to the bottom of your boy's lameness issues.

6. pso

pso Gold Member

ok- one foot, 2 nerve blocks, 2 xrays, sedative, consult fee= $285 (same place)

7. kathera

kathera Active Member

ok thanks guys
    I have booked him in today so hopefully all goes well!

8. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

ascot is cheaper than belvoir for x-rays ;)

9. kathera

kathera Active Member

i have actually booked at ascot, not belvoir just from past experiences... but thought i would leave vet names out :)

10. Jump Off

Jump Off Well-known Member

I had a horse go in at ascot for the same thing and it cost me around $200 (a few years ago now) plus they were able to fix the issue with corrective shoeing - which was very expensive but worth it. Good Luck!! **)

11. kathera

kathera Active Member

yeah my current farrier reckons not much can be done as bone too low to cut back and then i had another guy look at him and say he just needs the heels lowered and the sole cut back to remove the convex-ness (!? is that a word!)
    I guess to really know whats going on we need an xray, then can consider whether any corrective shoeing is worth while...

12. Claireb

Claireb Well-known Member

Hmmm

Sole should never be removed unless it comes out easily with a hoof pick/wire brush. There is often excessive sole due to lack of structure elsewhere, when removed the horse goes sore.

Rotation can happen both ways and the xray will tell you the position of P3. Rotated forwards will be as a result of laminitis and this is due to a problem with the attachment of the pedal bone to the hoof wall.

This will improve in time with good trimming and a rehab plan.

Rotation the other way or 'ground parralel' or 'reverse angle' pedal bone is very common and its due to lack of structure in the back of the foot i.e. poor digital cushion.

Again can be recitified but not in the way thats been suggested. Also, IMO corrective shoeing isn't a long term solution either.

You can tell a lot from your horses foot fall as to if its the foot and a lot by just looking at the foot and all the components.

Watch your horse walk on a loose rein, you should not be able to tell if the heel or toe is landing first. Also, tight circles, if they are struggling they will often have a weak back part of the foot.

If you have any pics of the feet then feel free to send them to me or post them.

Cx

13. kathera

kathera Active Member

thanks C
    i can certainly post photos for those interested, soon as photobucket will let me load more that one photo!

I think we are talking rotate forward, thing is he is getting worse with trimming, not better. I think more time factor though as in the horse isnt getting any younger, not the trimming being done.
    I do use a reputable farrier (leaving names out here) and his feet look better on the outside - used to be very flat - but the last 2 times shod (done at 4 week intervals) he has gone lame straight after

14. kathera

kathera Active Member

oh yeah also as to foot fall - he wears the toe off his shoes very quickly. we tried straight front shoes to help as he tripped a bit, but not much difference so back to normal

15. Claireb

Claireb Well-known Member

HI

Its no criticism of the person you use, its difficult to treat a horse without knowing whats going on so you farrier is doing the best with the info they have.

By all means post a pic, if you can get one looking from the side at ground level thats best.

Cx

16. Double Helix

Double Helix Well-known Member

I've had two horses at Ascot vets on different occasions for foot related lameness issues (different problems). Both bills came in just under $300 for consultation, x-rays (one foot) and nerve block.

One horse was a reverse angle pedal bone as Claireb described which was at the time treated with corrective shoeing (I am now attempting to correct this issue with barefoot trimming). This horse has only just startted on the barefoot path but after one trim seems to be pretty good walking on my gravelly soil (before he was very "ouchy" with no shoes on). He used to be very lame on a circle but he is on spell at the moment so I am not sure if there is improvement yet in that regard.

The other horse they couldn't really isolate the lameness and put it down to inflammation of the coffin joint. He had an intra-articular cortisone injection and some rest and has been fine since (approx. a year ago now).

17. EVP

EVP Gold Member

My old mare has rotation of pedal bone. We keep her trimmed very regularily and toes squared. She needs the least resistance to break over. She is a paddocked broodmare (not finished her duties).

We watch her weight and never allow her to over graze lush pasture. She is never fed grains either. She has one monthly injection of Pentasan and this helped her feet enormously.....plus her other achy bits and pieces. She's 22 and had a life of performance before breeding.

We have done 3 lots of xrays over 5 years. Just to see its degeneration ect. The Pentasan has slowed down things and she is happy and comfortable. During periods of ground dryness here she will get Bute from time to time. She likes to stand in wet patches if they are around the water trough.....lolol A classic sign of 'hot foot soreness'.

Xrays will give you a CLEAR diagnosis and a plan for maintenance.

Good luck!!:)*

18. Jonty3

Jonty3 Guest

Sorry you got the answer you werent looking for today Kathera....!

19. kathera

kathera Active Member

yeah today did not get me a happy outcome from the vet, which i thought would be, but maybe we have got to a "solution" for both Dom and i

Soo - severe rotation (front) and dropping of pedal bone. A slight chance with corrective shoeing, but hes never going to continue as dressage or full work.

2 or more bottles of champers, some tears and some laughs and Dom has a retirement home chasing alpacas in Bullsbrook with a lady who wants a pet and a ride once a month or so.

I miss my boy already but 2 hours earlier the story was much worse for him, as a 15yoTB (they all thought he was a warmblood!) heavyweight, corrective shoes prob not going get him to where i want to be and my best hope was to give him away or PTS if he continued to be in pain.

Fingers crossed that he retires happily! and i can visit him.
    Some good trimming, basic diet and heaps of rest and i hope he will have a happy few years yet.

Happy Retirement Dom!!!!

[​IMG]

20. JustJam

JustJam Well-known Member

Oh! That's such a shame, kathera!

However, I tip my hat at your pro-active approach and your care and concern for your horses welfare!

All the best for your future and Doms retirement.

:))