www.showphotos.com.au

Discussion in 'Forum Management and Operation' started by Murray, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Reigate

Reigate Well-known Member

Ok its showing now! :) Gotta remember to hit Refresh.... lol......

Dont mind me, day 21 of chronic headache/migraine in a row......... Not really functioning that well........ plus I nearly busted me leg last night.... lol.... not having a good run! lol

2. balletprincess

balletprincess Well-known Member

Sorry to be such a pain Admin, but I'm still having trouble uploading photos.

Have tried adding one by one, and even doing one in Batch Upload, then importing, but still having no luck :( Have even tried three different computers at different homes.

Is there something wrong with my photos maybe? When trying to "Add Photos", I get this error message :

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 13824 bytes) in /home/sho50035/public_html/functions.php on line 1321

Warning: Unknown: Your script possibly relies on a session side-effect which existed until PHP 4.2.3. Please be advised that the session extension does not consider global variables as a source of data, unless register_globals is enabled. You can disable this functionality and this warning by setting session.bug_compat_42 or session.bug_compat_warn to off, respectively. in Unknown on line 0

3. Murray

Murray Well-known Member Staff Member

balletprincess, please email me(admin@stockyard.net) one of your photos so I can check out the file for you. That error is saying that the server has ran out of memory which shouldn't be happening if you are uploading relatively small files (<5m).

Are you using a broadband connection?

cheers...admin

4. Reigate

Mine was doing that today too, but went back to uploading files under 2mb and that was better......... didnt get the error message at just under 2mb, found with all but one or two over 2mb though i got that message........

5. balletprincess

I would like to say a HUGE thankyou to Admin for all of his help. What a great guy to run not only this forum, and showphotos.com.au, but also deal with me going through a stage of total computer and photo illiteracy *#)

Who would've thought resizing the pictures slightly, and voila!

Thanks again Murray for all of your help :))

6. Murray

My pleasure balletprincess, I am pleased that you had some success!**)

I think showphotos.com.au | Horse Show and Event Photos is going to be a great hit amongst the equestrian community. My son wants to buy it from me and he has an eye for these things.:)

cheers...admin

7. Murray

Photographers or anyone with experience,

Would this be a good horse show camera? Would like more info on the lens and will it suit taking photos from a distance. For example, the outside dressage arena at the sec.

Canon EOS-40D
    Digital Camera Type: SLR, Professional
    Resolution: 10.1 Megapixel
    [​IMG]
    Lens: Canon EF-S 17-85MM f4-5.6 IS USM
    Compact, lightweight design with a 5x zoom ratio -- 28 to 135mm equivalent
    [​IMG]

cheers

8. Reigate

Hey there Admin,

Yep that camera will do the trick - get yourself a longer lens though.....

I find that anything under 100mm can distort a horse, and actually prefer to be a bit further back and use at least 200 mm on horses ...........

Get a GOOD quality lens though..........

I have the EOS 400D, and LOVE it....... want to get another lens though, but have to save my pennies before I do so! :) I have two lenses and they do reasonably well - one is about the same as the one above - actually, probably a bit longer - and then I have a 100 - 300 as well.........

9. Murray

[imgleft]http://www.stockyard.net/lens_300_comp.jpg[/imgleft]

Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Thanks for that Ariella.**) On what I have read it would seem that this one is the go. It is an ideal "walking around" lens for nature, travel and sports photographers and is reasonably priced.

cheers

10. Andhi

Andhi Gold Member

The Canon 40D is what I use with the longer lense, and it is fantastic!
    I can't recommend it enough.

11. Reigate

Yep Admin, that would be the lens to grab! :)

Im waiting for a lotto win cos Ive seen some lenses I want but they are MEGA $$$.......... lol...... I cant justify buying them.......

12. Murray

Thankyou Ariella and Andhi. I held the 40D at Harvey Norman yesterday and it certainly had a great feel about it.

cheers

13. Andhi

Andhi Gold Member

No Problems Admin!
    I am more than happy to pop into show you my camera and you can try it out with the lens. **)

14. balletprincess

Sorry to hijack the thread, but on the topic of cameras..

I have a Canon EOS 350D with two lenses (17-55mm and 75-300mm), and it takes beautiful photos outside.

But can anyone give me some advice on taking photos inside? I fiddled with every setting possible yesterday at the SEC indoor arena, and only about 20% of the photos were in focus. I was a bit upset, because they all looked perfect on the LCD screen, but horrible on the computer #(

If anyone can give me some tips, it would be very much appreciated. Feeling quite disheartened at the moment.

(Will get around to loading the ones that did turn out on showphotos.com.au when I get home and resize them so they'll upload)

15. balletprincess

Just thought of something - even though I am not a paying advertiser (like on the top of the page), am I still allowed to announce when I have uploaded photos of an event on Showphotos?

16. Andhi

Andhi Gold Member

Fiddle with the ISO Setting - ramp it right up. I set mine to some huge amount when i was photographing at the Summer series and got some fairly decent shots inside [​IMG]

17. Murray

Sorry balletprincess, unless you are a paid advertiser you should not make announcements in this regard on the forums. This would undermine the integrity of our service to photographers who are paid advertisers.

cheers...admin

18. balletprincess

No probs at all admin, completely understand. Just thought I'd double check though **)

19. Smiley n Me

Smiley n Me Gold Member

Hey Admin! I bought the 40D yesterday - but from a fab store and got it cheaper than Harveys sale! If you want any details let me know ;)

20. Darume

Darume Well-known Member

I have the 40D and I normally use my 70-200 F4 L glass with it and I find it the perfect pair!!.. I usually use my nifty fifty for my portrait shots.. I am in the process of finding a replacement for the good old "kit" lens that I got many moons ago with my 350D (18-55) but for now hooked up with the 40D the landscape pics don't turn out too bad..

I definitely wouldn't buy from HN.. I deal with an online shop that are FANTASTIC and a LOT cheaper than I have found any camera store in town..Fast, efficient and very helpful.. PM me admin if you want details.. :)

Balletprincess, bump that ISO up as high as you can go and open your aperture as far as your lens will let you.. Use a tri/monopod if you have one and invest in an external flash if you can.. I have a 430ex and it works a treat with the 350D, haven't tried it on my 40D yet. Unfortunately you will get noise with your ISO high but just run the pic through a program such as Noise Ninja or the like and it should clean them up pretty nicely.. Camera shake is your worst enemy at night time so a tri/monopod becomes an invaluable piece of equipment..

Cheers