Wounds - treatment suggestions ????

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Yarraman, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Yarraman

Yarraman Well-known Member

Duke our 8yo TB gelding, while bucking out at another horse in his stable (who bites him ) :mad: got his legs caught in the rungs and in the process of removing them has skinned a section of his rear leg (approx 30cm) while its ugly and hairless not bloody, we have been using pink spray it does not seem to be bothering him.

But he also appears to have a small puncture wound just above the larger skinned area. Tiny in size but today has a clear discharge coming from it and feels warm to touch. :(

All the fellow agistees say there is nothing we can do except keep it clean and run cold water over it. We have also been using a green antibiotic paste on this wound on their advice. How long should this take to clear up and what signs should I worry about. Also any suggestions on pain relief for horses (that dont need a vet).

He is eating heaps of hay, but off his chaff.

All feedback welcome.

2. iheartdash

iheartdash New Member

aw poor duke! um yeh apart from keeping it clean and putting on purple spray/ sea minerals/ betadine (which il give to you tomorow lol) i dont know what to do! hopefully it should heal well, it already looks better on the big scrape but yeh just keep and eye on the puncture wounds! i'll try to find some of this mud thing that Roxanne had that draws the puss stuff out of absesses for you because that works like magic!

hope he heals soon!

3. mylittlepony

mylittlepony Well-known Member

apart from what ur already doing, there not much else to do, just keep a very close eye on it, punctures are the worst kind of wound, if u see any frothy looking stuff coming out of it, ring the vet straight away!
    good luck, hope it heals quickly**)

4. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

I am a big fan of Potties White Ointment for a bit of "bark", it is very soothing (and antiseptic) but the puncture might need a bit more than that. Just keep an eye on it and call vet if anything out of the ordinary happens, excessive swelling, weeping etc. Best of luck**).... when Good caught in a fence a while back, I got this great cold compress gel pad that just adhere to the hair and come off when you want to remove them easily. Found that they were really good for reducing any swelling and taking any heat out:)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  5. Yarraman

Yarraman Well-known Member

Thanks for all your help and kind words. Its so damn frustrating seeing him in pain and he has been so patient.

Gee what did I do with myself before I had horses to worry about. :D

6. caitie

caitie Well-known Member

poor duke :( just do what your doing with the wound, i hope hes not out of action for too long..

7. samm

samm Gold Member

I wouldnt worry about the scrape the worry is the puncture wound.Infection travels up so if he is getting any swelling above or around the puncture wound then I'd be looking at infection in which case he'll need antibiotics.Check for heat and swelling in the area.
    Puncture wounds are also fantastic sites for tetanus spores to enter so I hope you gave him a tetanus anti-toxin.An anti-toxin will give you immediate coverage and a toxoid is for long term coverage but takes time to develop tetanus antibodies.So anti-toxin now and then you can give a toxoid in 10 days to give him long term coverage if you dont know the horses vaccination status.
    Keep the puncture wound clean ,dont fill it full of goop.Most times people interfere with wounds too much and this can inhibit the healing process not help it.A decent wound bed needs to be established if its to heal via second intention.A puncture wound needs to be able to drain prior to the skin layer closing over.
    So keep it clean,let it drain and keep an eye for infection starting and make sure the horses tetanus is up to date is my suggestion.
    Good Luck.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
  8. MegPJ

MegPJ New Member

I had this happen to my horse last week, it looked like a small scrap, buton closer inspection there was a puncture, so i hoses and cleaned for a few days but by friday the whole leg from hock to hoof was swollen and extremly hot I bit the bullet and took her to the vet sat morning, where she got injection (antibiotic and anti inflams) and was put on a course of antibiotics and bute the swelling is gone and there is only a smal amount of heat left in the wound.

It was expensive but was told it could have been worse if left longer. I would rater spend the money now and avoid an even bigger vet bill later down the track.

9. b and w

b and w New Member

When my old horse had a puncture wound, I was told to not let it scabover before it had filled from the inside (by fill i mean flesh must grow and you must not see any hole when looking in)
    So keep it clean and remove any layer which tries to cover over the wound preferably in the morning and also at night.
    He had no scar at all when I used this method. I used betadine diluted in water to wash it.
    Hope it heals well :)

10. Bushmanwatts

Bushmanwatts Well-known Member

:( Poor duke sorry to hear that injury of any kind is not a good thing!

I recomend you give him a tetinus booster and penicillon shot, and yellow lotion for the wond.

I recently well a few weeks ago had a horse Gash his leg with these things I got the swelling down and the wound has closed up quite well not completely but it's still healing.
    running cold water over it is not a bad thig but never never NEVER use detol on a cut as it seals the edges and they an not join together.

hope this helps a bit