wound that will not stop pussing...

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by milzenzab, Aug 11, 2011.

1. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Sharaway as per usual I think you've voiced what a lot of people are thinking but too scared to say it.

Harsh but true words.:}

2. Sharaway

Sharaway Well-known Member

Yes, wins me few friends though being that honest and sets the bunny huggers off everytime lol.

But I would say it to the op's face also, that's the difference. Actually I tend to have even less tact in person lol.

Milz, you need to ask if enough is enough, but at the end of he day it's your horse, your time, your $$$, your choice, but I think you need to call this one a day.

3. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

It would be an option if it was swamp cancer, but I don't think thats our call to make. We can't see the wound first hand, and no point jumping to conclusions with only half the info (remember ppl that did that GR??? - and your horse is fine now!!)

Milzenarab I would consult your vet on the best options for this horse. Look at the option that if this is swamp cancer and will need to be cut, how much would need to be removed and how would the horse fare afterwards. Also how much would it cost and how much are you willing to pay. Don't let your heart get in the way - you have done everything you can for this horse.

4. milzenzab

milzenzab Active Member

This horse came to me skinny, shy, un touchable and so on. 4 weeks in my care she now weighs 876 kg, I can walk up and catch her and do anything to her. She runs around and is happy!!!Nothing has been confirmed. Do you just shot your horses when things go pear shaped???? If a horse has changed in behaving from a dangerous horse to a calm and friendly horse, is this not saying that this mare is some what happy!!! Come on.....

5. Coda Cowgirl

Coda Cowgirl Well-known Member

6. Sharaway

Sharaway Well-known Member

If the problem is incurable yes.

But if you are happy to let a horse live out it's days with an open wound that's your choice.

And how happy can the horse really be with that wound and the constant treatment required now and still required.

Milz it's only my opinion, I'm not there, not you, could be very wrong, I can only go on the information you have provided, and summing all that up yes I would get the vet back, give it 4 more weeks, then I would in deed shoot the horse based on sheer economics and compassion for horses condition.

Again only my opinion.

7. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

Hi Coda,

Swamp cancer is fairly common up here, I have only heard of a couple of cases where they have used regular injections of 'something' to try and attack it. None have worked and all have had to be removed via surgery. It is worth asking the vet though about these options.

But quite often I find that we all google our little heart away to find answers and half the time when I ask the vet about those options they are either experimental/ too expensive or not available in Aus.

Worth asking though - you never know. Milzenarab, good luck with the horse. The best I can suggest is a good long hard and realistic talk with your vet.

8. Coda Cowgirl

Coda Cowgirl Well-known Member

Oh i totally agree with you Troppo but it is totally worth the asking of your vet!

9. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

Definately! It was a good pick up! Just letting the OP know that while it is a good idea, be prepared for it to maybe not be an option

10. milzenzab

milzenzab Active Member

Thank you. I will read it. Shouldn't we be shooting the people that just kept on passing this mare around!!!! She is a 6 year old shire. I am not going to just shot her because she needs fixing.

11. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Yes Troppo I do remember people who jumped to conclusions hence my post earlier was rather diplomatic and encouraging.

12. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Absolutely we should!

Look I do admire your dedication and yes Troppo is right, my horse came good and a lot of people jumped to the wrong conclusions about him but I did go through the emotions and reality that hey, I may have to put a bullet in/green dream him. The night before I got xrays done on his foot I barely got a wink of sleep (and it wasn't because Troppos dogs were scratching at the door either!). For the 2 weeks leading up to that x-ray I was preparing myself for the worst because I knew it was a distinct possibility.

I got upset with the way my threads went because deep down I knew that everything that was being said could happen.

Onto this horse though :}

Absolutely, try everything you can to save her and get this wound healed, it will be very rewarding if you can and you will learn lots along the way (as I'm sure you've already learnt bucket loads already). However, I do have to agree with Sharaway in some respects. Sometimes you can just not do enough and you need to make that call if and when the time comes. You have given this horse a wonderful few weeks/months and I commend you on that, you sound like you've done a great job in her emotional rehab and no one will ever be able to take that away from you.

I know what it feels like to be at your wits end as to what more to do because I was there only too recently, those emotional wounds are still raw. It's a b***h of a place to be in. The green dream/bullet may not be the answer for this case but I think it would be wise to enrol in the possibility that it could be, I'm not saying that it is, but just saying that it's possible.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  13. milzenzab

milzenzab Active Member

I am not at my wits end. Just wonderinh as to why her wound is not healing.

14. kp

kp Well-known Member

milzenzab, call your vet. Tell them to get there butts out to you and biopsy the wound. There are a number of things it could be. Only way to know for sure is to test it. It may well be easily treated. And maybe not. But at least you will know for sure. A whole lot cheaper than trying a bunch of treatments or continuing with something that isn't working.

15. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

I just had a look at the pics and farque!!!

You need to make some informed, unemotional decisions now. Stop dillydallying - if you are not prepared to spend the money on this horse, end this suffering.

And it does boil down to money and my bet is on lots of it. You want to fix her?? Then do it and stop procrastinating.

16. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Only your vet will be able to tell you that.

Sure, we can give you options, what we think it could be, what we would try but at the end of the day we're on the other end of a computer going off 3 photos. We can't poke and prod the wound like you and your vet can.

Stockies is a wonderful resource of ideas and information, absolutely damn straight true blue it is but it will never be as good as someone who can poke and prod that wound and see it in the flesh.

17. milzenzab

milzenzab Active Member

The vet is coming back at the end of 4 weeks. Money is not a issue at all. I am going off my vets advice. Maybe I was lied to about how this horse ended up like this, maybe I wasn't. Who knows. I am just trying to research as much as I can about healing wounds. I have only dealt with 1 wound in 20 years. As all my 18 horses live in steel cattle rail fences and I never have had 1 hurt itself. So how about you all stop bullying me......... I took her on because I wanted to. Do I go and bullet myself because I have cancer? Put me out of my pain and suffering!!!!!!

18. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

I'm not questioning why you took her on, hell I may have done the same thing myself, and I commended you on your obviously good job on her emotional rehab.

When is that 4 weeks up?

19. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

See, I wouldn't be waiting the 4 weeks. Is this time not up already? When is the vet booked to come back. Yes booked. That shows a plan.
    I would have that horse on a float to a different vet for another opinion.
    You cannot honestly believe that this horse is not suffering - "Going by those pics."
    This has been dragging on for how long??

Bullying??? All I see if advice from some very respectable people, which is what you asked for.

Research? Well google is your friend - it is all out there for you to read. With no nasty opinions.

And bringing your own medical problems into it just proves the emotional arguement instead of the impartial.

20. milzenzab

milzenzab Active Member

I do not have cancer. The 4 weeks is up on Monday. I am in QLD and my vet is one of the leading cancer vets in QLD. Would you like there phone number.