wound that will not stop pussing...

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by milzenzab, Aug 11, 2011.

1. milzenzab

milzenzab Active Member

my mares wound is still pussing after 4 weeks of treatment. She has been on sulprium for this. But still pus. I have just decided to try a new method and not hose it everyday now. But to leave it to scab and treat it with the debisol and honey. Why is it still pussing for???? any help is taken very thankfully.

2. shadowkat

shadowkat Well-known Member

Foreign object still in the wound?

3. Blackbat

Blackbat Well-known Member

Is it really pus, or could it be a healing wound exudate? Have you been using moist wound healing with dressings or leaving it open and dry? Did you complete the whole course of Abs? Did the wound seem to heal, then later break back down? Vets the best source of answers.

4. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

I know 2 of the horses that got attacked by crocs out here, their wounds were still pussy after 2 weeks of twice daily hosing and flints oil whereas the other 3 were healing up brilliantly. They had to fly the vet out to cut the wound back and corterise (sp) it with a branding iron from memory or something along those lines. Once that was done the wounds healed up fine, think they said it was some sort of fungal infection or something like that.

Probably wouldn't hurt to get the vet out just for a double check or maybe even send some photos to the vet to see what they reckon, could save a consult fee then.

5. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Maybe the antibiotics were not specific for this wound......sometimes a combination of antibiotics are needed for gram neg and gram pos "germies".

If there is a foreign object in there it won't heal (as has been said).......and the only way you can find that out is to have a very gentle look...if you are not very comfortable doing this then you will need to get your horse vet out.

Once a wound is cleaned up and does not contain foreign bodies it will heal with moist wound treatment (Manuka or Medi Honey with clean non-stick gauge dressing and a good bandage).

You could try a gentle flushing with sterile saline in a 30ml syringe to see if debris is flushed out and you can see a bit better. Good light and a magnifying glass is also helpful. I'd say once you clean it up and bandage with good sterile technique it will heal quickly.

But if you are at all worried then its horse vet time.

6. milzenzab

milzenzab Active Member

this mare was a dogger horse. she went 18 weeks with no treatment until i got her. i have had teh vet out straight away to power float her teeth and look at the wound. he said to give it 4 weeks first before he comes back

7. whitepantheress

whitepantheress Well-known Member

Then it's time :)

8. Sharaway

Sharaway Well-known Member

Where is the wound located, do you know what caused the wound, a spider bite could also explain why it hadn't healed, but it does sound like more aggressive treatment might be needed.

I would look to poltice the wound for 3 days, reassess then poltice again for another 3 days then reassess. If it's still looking really pussy then you have to get the vet back.

In the mean time I would also give her a course of vitamin injections or paste and put her on protexin to boost her immune and digestive system.

9. Sharaway

If the infection gets into the bone or blood you've lost the horse anyway, she's the walking dead if it has gone to bone.

10. Marlee

Marlee Well-known Member

Personally, I believe it is disgusting of a vet to leave a huge open wound like that for 4 weeks with an inexpereinced person to cope with (no offence meant) without some sort of consultation, even just over the email sending photos and advice.

It is possible that the puss you are seeing is the wound itself, usually when you take a bandage off there can be a yellowy substance that you clean off while cleaning the wound, this isn't puss as Blackbat has said, it is part of the healing process. With this being an undressed wound though I wouldn't expect that so much so it could be puss in this case. I personally would ring your vet with your concerns and get him out now, the longer this goes on the worse it will get. If he can't come out send him photos. He needs to take a swob of the infection and treat with the right anti-biotics if possible or as EVP has stated chance to another concoction.

Is the wound getting smaller in size, is it the very deep bit that is not healing? Are there any improvements at all??

11. milzenzab

milzenzab Active Member

There is photos posted in another thread with photos of her wound. It is on her face. Very deep. Almost through the check. She was found with her head stuck in a steel cattle feeder. The person kept for for 4 weeks until the sent her to the sales. She was saved brought by doggers, but saved by someone just in time. They have her for about 16 weeks. But could not catch her. So they sent her back to the sales. Where she was brought by doggers. I heard about her and brought her... Confused?????
    My vet said let's wait 1 mth to see what happens. If it has not had some amount of healing, than we look at cancer, mainly swamp cancer. It was full of pus holes, which he thought could be caused by worms. So she had to have a intense worming program to see if that caused the pudding to stop. I have wormed her every 6 days. When I hose it. It is lovely and clean. Than it starts to scab and pus. I was hosing it twice a day. But have decided to not hose now and allow the scabs to form. I still spray with debrisol, wound Klense, and honey. I have only ever had 1 horse that has ever hurt himself. That was to the bone and healed in about 3 mths. I am very inexperienced in wound management in horses.

12. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

Is there a link to the pics?

I would say something is in there. I have seen horses with deep wounds that clean up lovely but a week later end up pussy and yuk again. It was caused by debris in the wound, and the wound healing over the top of it.

13. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

So let me get this straight................this horse has had this wound for 24 weeks now and it's still not healed?

I'm thinking one of two things.............something is definitely still in there for it to still be an open wound after that long

or

it's just not going to heal ';'

I'm not sure about the Swamp Cancer route, generally, from what I've read and interpreted it as that once Swamp Cancer is in there it takes off and grows at a fantastic rate of knots. I could more than likely be wrong though as I've never seen one in my life (and hope not to have one on my horse! Going to visit Croker Island though one day to take photos of the horses over there with them just so I'm a bit more familiar with the sight of them.)

I admire your determination with this mare though :)) If you weren't experienced with wounds before it sounds like you're learning heaps about them now. Nothing like being thrown in the deep end for a fast education. Been there myself mate so know what it's like, good luck with it.

14. milzenzab

milzenzab Active Member

Ok. Do not know how to post a link. But I just brought the thread back up to this page. It is called" proud flesh". There are photos there. Maybe I am hoping that it would heal faster. But with no treatment for so long, maybe it will take a long time????

15. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

You know what....that could be swamp cancer? I'm not altogether familiar with it bu the scabbing and what looks like 'growth' is akin to what I have seen on swamp cancer victims before. It would need to be cut out if thats the case. I don't know how much a vet would cut out from that area?

But I could be wrong. You did mention she was found in a cattle feeder and those things can do a bit of damage.

Has it healed up at all?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  16. milzenzab

milzenzab Active Member

I don't know!!!!! I thought after 4 weeks of treatment I would of seen a BIG improvement givien what I am doing to it. So no, I don't think so. She came from out west in QLD where it is perfect environment for swamp cancer. I was told she hurt herself. So that is why my vet said give her 4 weeks..........

17. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Hmmm I could be wrong, it could be swamp cancer.

Take heaps of photos of it because if it is, there's stuff all photos online of swamp cancer (been there, googled it many times). As I said before I'm hoping to get across to Croker Island and take photos of the wild horses there that have swamp cancers and document it and maybe put a thread up about them to help others in the tropics.

Swamp Cancer is one of my biggest fears out here in the wet season :eek: they've had to shoot a couple of horses who developed them in the wet season of 09/10 :(

You should be fine though because you have a vet nearby **)

18. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

Well from the pics, especially the 'blackness' of the scab (or is that dirt?) and the fact she came from QLD -especially with how much rain they have had- I would put money on that being swamp cancer. If it hasn't healed significantly over 4 weeks or shown any sign of getting smaller then yes that is a good chance. Swamp cancer is caused by a waterborne fungus, so normal topical application of antibiotic treatments and cleaning of the wound will not see a response. The only way to get rid of swamp cancer is to cut it out.

Its not an unusual spot for it to develop.

GR - have you tried googling Pythiosis?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  19. Sharaway

Sorry but I would have shot the horse weeks ago, if it's not healing it's not fair on the horse to keep treating it either.

You've done more than you should have already IMO.

20. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Can't say that word pops up in my regular vocabulary.

Will certainly be googling it though now that I know that word exists!