Wound/ scar management

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by proud_equestrian, Aug 18, 2009.

1. proud_equestrian

proud_equestrian Active Member

Hi all.

Recently my horse cut his lower leg open to the bone. It is virtually healed up now... had correct vet treatment ect and looking really good. Have been using manuka honey dressings and bathing/changing dressings every 2-3 days following adivice. He has also been getting a merbal medicinal mixture added to his feed administered by a enuine naturopath. But I am a little worried about scarring. Obviously there will be some scar tissue and I accept that but my question was what have you all found useful in managing, preventing, minimizing scars???

Regards,

P_E

(pics avail if you want)

2. Wrangler Miss

Wrangler Miss Well-known Member

Bit hard without seeing the scar but I would ask your vet about premaderm [?spelling] =)

3. Beanie

Beanie Well-known Member

I wouldn't use prednoderm for healing of scars ie regrowing hair- I use it for healing of wounds
    Try Sea Minerals ointment or Ungvita (vitamin a cream)-from the pharmacy.

4. Beanie

Beanie Well-known Member

Thought I would add that if you want to minimise scarring keep the wound wrapped for as long as possible!!

If it is left to dry out without a dressing then a scab will form, the horse will usually hit it and knock it off so the healing will start again.

My friend dressed her horses wound- which was extremely bad- for about 6 months and there was a tiny scar The horse was sold and the new owner didn't keep it wrapped and the scar got huge.

5. proud_equestrian

Have attached a pic of the day it happened, the day after and one from last week. I haven't got one from this week yet as I forgot to take camera down last change! But the difference is scarey. It just has healed SOOO quick! **)
    Will try and get a now pic ASAP! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Shiobhan

Shiobhan Well-known Member

Goodluck with your horse and hope he feels better soon.

My filly did a similar injury but exposing 2 inches of bone. Dont have the orginal photo of wound before the flap was cut off and the bone exposed.

This photo below is a couple of weeks after. Proudflesh / hyper granulation (spelling) was encouraged to happen extremely fast with the first few weeks to cover the bone to stop it drying out or getting infection.
    [​IMG]

Months of bandaging and changes etc
    [​IMG]

round June/July its flush and the brown smudge on her leg is dirt sticking to lotion sprayed on top.
    [​IMG]

7. jonty

jonty Well-known Member

Dermaclens Spray and Cream will sort it out!

The spray aids in the removal of proud flesh and the cream aids in the growth of new flesh....you can get it at most stockfeeders if they dont have it ask for it!!!

Or contact either Biojon or any Allstock member store.

8. Wrangler Miss

Wrangler Miss Well-known Member

It would pay to PM Coliban as she healed a terrible, terrible wound with great success ... Her anme is Lena and she is very approachable =)

MY recomendation would be premaderm [?speeling] as it is a steroid based cream

9. proud_equestrian

Thankyou heaps everyone. Got some green ointment and its all covered up again. Healing well. Will keep you posted. Just hoping to get hair coverage when the whole healing process is completed.

10. turbo

turbo New Member

hey my mum's horse cut through 2 tendens on his back leg so it was like 6 months or so of healin, but now all that is left is bad scaring so i got told by someone to try white ointment it's in a white and blue jar about $19 and seem to be helpin with hair regrowth and keepin it moist ,it has shrunk the scaring quit a bit too , can by it at ya local feed store , hope it helps:)