Wound recovery diary *warning gory pics*

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by HalcyonStables, Jan 7, 2008.

1. You were warned! LOL

Here is the damage done to Romeo's leg as per my recent post "Spent my morning at the Vets"

My theory is this... he must have been dozing under the tree by the fence (post and rail) when Viento came up to play with or harrass him as Vee is in the next yard. Romeo seems to have kicked out at his tormentor, and his hind legs gone in-between the rails right by the upright post. He's then panicked and tried to pull free and somehow not come free immediately - getting his near hind very caught up - perhaps the entire length of the leg?

Anyway, he has pulled free, pulling out the post and tearing open his old scar in the process. It has torn right to the tendon and you can see the tendon moving about in there also.

Here is the next day after the injury. At this stage he is on bute, and having the bandages changed daily for the rest of the week. I am using Manuka honey on the wound and he also has to have penicilin twice a day until the bottle is finished.

[​IMG]

**Lesson to be learned from this** - when installing post and rail fencing, get ROUND posts and rails - don't go square!

2. safs_mum

safs_mum Well-known Member

Ouch..poor baby

3. Pockets

Pockets Gold Member

Oh poor Romeo that looks nasty:(

4. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

ooo jeez. that's a yucky injury, poor romeo!

viento sounds like a real stirrer.

good luck with the recovery process. looking after a wound liked that is hard work.

5. Faxie

Faxie Well-known Member

OUCH thats nasty ML! luckily he has you to look after him! Am sure it will heal up really well especially seeing as you are using honey. Just wondering where you are getting manuka honey from, i have a manuka cream/lotion but have trouble getting the real deal

6. Eminence

Eminence Well-known Member

aww the poor darling that must hurt soo much!!:(
    Poor Romeo

7. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Yeouch!!!!!

8. Faxie I'll find their phone number & PM you.

9. cruisecontrol

cruisecontrol Well-known Member

Thats gotta hurt! Poor Romeo, hope he feels a bit better soon, and I'm sure he's glad he's got you looking after him!

10. Faxie

Faxie Well-known Member

thanks ML that would be great!

11. Pooh Lah

Pooh Lah New Member

poor fella, hope he heals up soon for you must be the season for it my fella stabbed himself just before xmas we are using a very similair treatment with the manuka honey bute and penicillian.

12. dirtbug

dirtbug Gold Member

oooh that looks sore and nasty poor fella :(

hope it heals up with no fuss.

13. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

ouch i cringed just looking at it he fair did a number on that leg. if you dont mind me asking what did the non rounded fences do? is that what sliced the leg open?

14. Chcik_with_a_Chainsaw from what we could tell, the square rails helped with ripping his leg open. I would imagine if the rails were rounded his leg would have slipped off them much more easily and have a good chance of lessor injury.

Here's the injury 1 week after he did it: (before I cleaned it, this is straight after the bandage & dressing etc were removed)
    [​IMG]

And this is at 9 days:
    [​IMG]

So you can see where the pink scar tissue (or proud flesh as it can be called) is starting to grow over rapidly. He is not lame on it which is good, it isn't getting any infection at all and now the wound is nicely covered. We of course have to be careful that it doesn't get too much or that will impede recovery.

You can also see the new, pink skin starting to grow back, around the edges of the wound.

The Vet will be taking another look at it Saturday morning.

15. jodles

jodles Well-known Member

Holy cr*p what an injury!! There is an amazing ointment ask your vet it is called equaide and it stops proud flesh and sets like a fiberglass it is fantastic for these sort of wounds have used it post surgery on a severed artery wound. Google and have a look at the testimonials

16. buggalugs

buggalugs Well-known Member

thats really nasty looking!! be grateful though, my mare did a very similar injury three times to the same spotover a 10mth period!! and the fences were good as well!!!... so heres my recommendation

the honey is great and i used it religiously, but the only precaution you need to take is that proud flesh, a friend of mine recommended to me to use a stocking, you cut a tube and it slips right over, use a cotton pad to go over the bulk of the wound but this way the wound can air without flies which reduces the proud fleshby allowing the wound to dry out a little...then you tape the ends of the stocking with elastoplast or similar to keep it in place (i have been known to use gapha!!) i took his advice (he does horse rehab for a living) and not only hav i seen it work on my own but many many horses that come through his yard, if the granulation does get to bad, put copper sulfate just dampened to a paste and spread over the wound inplace of honey do this until you can see the granulation dying, may only take a day or two... i would recommend to everybody to try reduce the usage of "pink spray" and alike as whilst this is good for disinfecting initially, it can delay the healing process and is best avoided if you can keep the area away from flies etc.
    sorry its so long, its just this injury is an somewhat an area of expertise after a year of treating the same injury... silly horse!!

17. Funny you should mention that, our Vet is bringing along a stocking for him specifically made for this purpose on Saturday! She's also bringing along a paste to keep the proud flesh under control.

18. Lokenzo

Lokenzo Gold Member

Awww poor Romeo :( That stocking idea is a fantastic one tho! I will have to remember that for the future.

19. Rikki+Sasha

Rikki+Sasha Active Member

wow that looks reeeeeaaaally painful :(

good luck with healing Romeo**)

20. proud mum

proud mum Well-known Member

Isnt it funny how it gets so much worse before it gets better. Horses and leg injuries :( Well lets just say I think I should have shares in a horse pharmaceutical company.