Wound **Pic**

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Zegger, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Zegger

Zegger Well-known Member

Come down today and found this but it was all black and scabby and his leg was swollen like a balloon. So i think it has been there for a day or 2 . :(
    [​IMG]

The picture is bad as was taken off phone and half across the wound there is a shadow so full damage cannot be seen . Thanks to Chloe for uploading it :)*

So i changed agistment . My 1st question is how to treat a wound like this as this is my first wound like this . Nothing compared so other wounds i have seen on here though .:eek:

So i cleaned the wound picked the sand out ect . Then i put some betadine on some gauze then cottoned wool it and bandaged it. Is that how i ment to treat it ? :confused: as i dont really want to let it stay open .
    So he is also on some bute.

2nd question how long will it take to heal as next weekend i have a show but i cannot go now unless its healed but i doubt it will be so yeah :eek:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  2. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

dont use full strength betadine. Water it down till it looks like tea.

Be careful with bandaging as it can cause swelling and tendon problems.

When my mare hurt herself hear I clipped away the hair and put a dressing of fixamul and honey on it. That only needed to be changed once a week and teh fixamul keep flies and dirt out of it.

Antibiotics may be a good idea.

3. Zegger

Zegger Well-known Member

So with the honey can it be the stuff you buy from the shops? and how do you apply it :)

4. minimo

minimo Active Member

you want pure honey and not the processed stuff, just put some on the wound and apply the fixamol. simple but works great.

5. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Zegger I currently have a horse with a banaged knee. Although its only temporary (an hour or so).

Her knee is very badly swollen and I've soaked a nappy in water and epsom salts (I was just using water until someone kindly told me to use epsom salts too ;) ). I've strapped it on using its own tabs and lightly secured with self adhesive bandages and tap (very slight so there's no pressure but it won't move). Basically an ice pack!

And leaving it on long enough until its all melted. Its her 2nd one for today.

I've also hosed her leg about 4 times today :).

As for honey. I'll be the first to stand up and say that I used 100% pure unprocessed honey straight from the bee man and the injury on Karla (now talking a different horse, I'm having a great time arn't I?) became pussy, infected and proud flesh formed pretty darn quick so I went back to the cream I was using (which I can never remember the name of lol). Honey does not work for everyone as any other method so just take causion with what ever you use :).

6. Zegger

Zegger Well-known Member

***UPDATE***
    Yesterday i took of the bandage and well lets say its a little infected not badly but there was pus and OMG the smell nearly knocked me out #(

As soon as it came into contact with the air the flies swarmed in and the poor boy put his leg straight up inside of his rug.

So i applied some antiseptic and then fresh natural honey then bandaged it again . The good thing is all of the swelling over night has basically gone but i still applied tendon cooler.

So he is still on some bute and i will be going out later to check on him . If it gets worse i will ring the vet :)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  7. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

has teh horse seen a vet?

8. Narelle28

Narelle28 Active Member

I use flints oil and don't cover but thats just me. the vet I used to use in QLD would send me the antibiotics and don't cover it and then flints it. The flints stinks but keeps the flies away

9. Zegger

Zegger Well-known Member

Not yet but im going up today to see what its like if it has gotten worse i will call the vet. But i dont know what they can really do as he is already on bute and the wound cannot be stiched ect. :eek:

10. LAURAmay

LAURAmay Well-known Member

that doesnt looks good at all...
    i hope it gets better really soon.
    i am another one for honey as a dressing aswell the stuff works wonders!

11. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

vet's usually my first port of call, rather than the internetz.

that said, my horse had a horrific injury from a dog attack & i cold hosed it with STRONG force for 30mins a day for the first week, picked off the scabby, pussy, yucky stuff. first 4 days i simply used cetrigen (after vet initially used antiseptic/biotic paste) and a course of IM penicillin and bute paste. 2nd week i continued with the cold hosing, plus cetrigen & started using unprocessed JARRAH honey (manuka is also very good). we also had a visit to the beach & i also cold washed with salty water.
    3rd week started to see proud flesh, but continued with same routine (on vet's advice). 5 weeks later wounds are entirely closed & pretty much healed. i am MUCHOS impressed!

personally, i wouldn't be bandaging unless the vet has advised it. my horse's wound was left open (couldn't be stitched) and it's healed unbelieveably.

12. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

the vet can give antibiotics if the wound is infected, and prescribe better ointments to help manage the wound and reduce proud flesh. But mostly they can give advice - afterall they are experts! If you have to ask these sort of questions then its too big a problem to manage without an expert opinion - if it gets septic your horse could go down hill very quickly.

13. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

PS - who prescribed the bute then?

14. Zegger

Zegger Well-known Member

I had some :)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  15. Pepsea

Pepsea Gold Member

be carefull self medicating your horse, if you dont know hw to treat he injury, why are you confident enough to self medicate your horse with bute?

i always call the vet, id rather spend the money even if the vet comes out and says 'it's nothing'

your horse will need a tetnus boster anwyays so call the vet out, get some antibiotics

16. Zegger

Zegger Well-known Member

Lol dw everybody i did ring the vet first not like i just whipped some out :D

17. Siren

Siren Well-known Member

sorry Im not following......

so the vet said the bute would be fine, but they didnt give you any advice on treating the wound? Or did they tell you to bandage it with straight betadine?

Was the bandage on just overnight, when you took it off, and the smell was bad? Because for a wound to get to that foul smell just overnight, that would be a cause of concern.

Personally Im a Silvazine and Prednoderm fan.
    Also with the nappy thing, when I do that trick I soak mine in a Milton solution. Works very well :))
    Goodluck **)

18. GeeJay

GeeJay Guest

Have you heard of animalintex (sorry if spelling is wrong) hose the wound till clean meaning when blood starts to appear allow to dry then apply poultice hot if you have a heavy infection dry if mild. Leave for 24 hrs and repeat till wound appears pink around edges.

Keep hosing after then use medicated calcium powder after hosing.

Sorry but that wound will take at least 5 weeks to heal

Janet