Wound on Nose - advice?

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Cadabby, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Cadabby

Cadabby Well-known Member

Hi all,

My mare has developed a small wound on her nose, approx. the size of a 5 cent piece. It is on her right nostril, just above the bottom edge of the nostril. It has been there for probably 3 weeks, but has started to get worse in the last week. It has turned into a bit of a crater and is quite wet (no pus, just clear fluid and sometimes blood if I have just cleaned it).

I think the reason it has been slow to heal is because she lets the flies sit on it. I've put a flyveil on with a nose flap and have been cleaning with cotton and water and then applying Cetrigen daily. I'll try and get a photo tomorrow so you can see what I'm talking about!

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to help it heal more quickly? It's a tricky spot because she constantly has her nose in either food or grass or hay or water, so anything I apply doesn't last too long!

Cheers for any advice!

PS She is bay, with no white markings, we don't have a vet in town but there is one 60km away so I can get her there if I'm desperate.

2. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

I would speak to your vet for some advice as to what it is and how to treat it. It does not sound a major thing, but flies can easily create ulceration and infection in any sized open wound.:}

The location is a pest, so a real thick ointment (like Prednoderm) may just stay there longer!**)

But do talk with your vet.:))

3. Cadabby

I've called the vet and they can't see her until Thursday. So it'll be at least 5 days until they can give me some advice.

Any ideas as to what to do until then? Under a friend's advice I've started washing with copper sulfate dissolved in water, and then applying Cetrigen during the day to keep the flies off.

I've bought some fixamol and thought about putting honey on that and then sticking it on her nose, what do you reckon?

[​IMG]

Hope the pic works, and of course there's a bloody fly on it!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  4. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

honey and fixamul is a great dressing but I dont know if you will have any success in getting it to stick on there. With all the folds in the nose it is a bit tricky. I tried to put a dressing there once and it just kept falling off.

You can by fly repella creams that are made for wounds like this.

5. Pockets

Pockets Gold Member

Septicide is good stuff-has a fly repellent in it, we use it for all the animals-even keeps the flies off the dogs ears!

6. Cadabby

Well I tried honey and fixamol last night, the honey stayed on but the fixamol didn't!
    I've tried Septicide but it seemed to kind of "melt" off in the hot weather.
    I just really need this wound to be somewhere other than her nose! She's starting to get cranky with me trying to stick stuff up it all the time lol.

7. Pockets

Pockets Gold Member

Could you put filtabac over the honey or septicide?