Wound management

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Diesel91, Aug 9, 2012.

1. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

I feel like snaring a pet fly just to say I've got one on hand at all times ;) Of course we get random flies at all times of the year, but we have a massive fly problem between Oct/Nov. We're in an area that is infested with dung beetles (yayyyy), and don't have a fly problem any other time of year.

I would NEVER be so blase as to "race" a wound. I am pedantic about wounds AND the horse's mental recuperation at the same time....which I think is a HUGE factor in the healing process.

2. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

yes I have to agree :) friend is also seeing that perhaps this horse and she are not a match made in heaven. I think her heart made her feel guilty which then led to her being too soft on him. Never an easy thing.

3. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Please Nattyh could you actually read my replies. It would certainly help with your posts, and would go a long in demonstrating that you are actually participating with genuine interest?
    The 'percentage of complications post castration' are not confined to those that happen in any state of Australia.....:} It is a fact that ANY surgical procedure carries a inherent risk of infection - these ocur internationally.
    Nothing at all to do with what happens in my backyard.....lolol.
    I certainly don't consider my backyard to be the centre of the universe.

Now, if you would like me to post copious amount of material about post surgical complications (including paddock castrations) I am happy to oblige. However, it seems that you are the only one who is having difficulty with replies and grasping the content therein - so it would be boring for others.

Common sense applied here it is evident that a surgical procedure done outside the confines of a surgical suite carries a risk - heck some horses have reaction to anaesethic, antiobiotics, bleeding, and the list goes on.
    Perhaps your opinons are based purely on your lack of experience in these things? I do understand your pre-occupation with poop in paddocks noted with your entries in that thread & with horses on 10 acres I can understand the intensity in a collection routine.

Considering you mentioned that worm eggs live in soil for years I would have thought there would have also been some knowledge on this very basic animal husbandry. Though we like the Myers methods of agri management we also have the great benefit of using cattle in our rotations....its a proven method of management and one she was impressed with.

I fairly am sure that registered vets in any state in any country are well aware of potential risks of paddock surgeries. :p I wouldn't have thought it took a rocket scientist to know this simple fact.....after all everyone knows the methods of contamination for heaps of infections...airborne, direct and indirect contact, flies, birds, bats, not to mention bacterias that live in soil.

All very elementary.

4. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

I'd like to introduce a couple of words to this conversation. Minor surgery, and major surgery.

Geldings come under the minor surgery headline and are SAFE to perform in a non-theatre environment....or ALL Vets would refuse to do it any other way.

IF anyone has a tale of a gelding going wrong thru Veterinary negligence....I'd love to hear that (with no names mentioned)

5. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Then it sounds as if you like most pro-active horse owners don't rely purely on Mother Nature to wave her wand and heal everything without interventions? You might like to revise your "like"....lolo;)

6. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

I don't remember reading a post about not interfering? Truly :eek:

7. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Vet neg?

Where was that mentioned - I must have missed that!

Looks like that copious amount of lit needs posting.......:}

Wattle have you had many horses castrated?

Find below some VERY basic information. Strangely it sounds exactly as I posted in my replies......:))

Perhaps its because I have experience with the topic, or it could be that I count the authors as close personal friends. Either way it would be boring for me to post lit that is generally available for conscientious horse owners.

8. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Following this the poster took a hard left, went down the road, over the bridge and kept on going.......lolol It was like some weird kind of fast-mo movie....lol
    And ended with a face plant right in a paddock of poop.......**)

9. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Given that I rehab quite a few horses & ponies (one would think were originally BRED)....yes I do have quite a few castrations. It annoys the crap out of me that someone that is not dedicated enough to keep a male as entire, can pass it on as a stallion (often at a discount *#))

Yes, we do find ourselves posting "obvious" lit....but some people have not read it before....and I am happy to reiterate the obvious if even one horse benefits :}

10. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

This....to me....is not helping the original topic....but just a cheap shot at psycho-analysis :}

11. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Yes it is good to post lit for those that might not have read it before. But if it becomes evident some are not reading replies as they are genuinely posted, one does wonder what value any literature will have.
    No analysis was carried out, nor was it a cheap shot. It was a free shot at humour.

What would you label this reply? In the spirit of the Olympics I think it is a Gold Medal Face Plant.....*and thats humour*

This honest reply was really the only one needed.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  12. Anna E

Anna E Guest

Wow... Poor old Diesel91 must be wondering where the hell her query went?
    Diesel, if you are removing a SCAB from the wound, then yes, you are going back to square one each time and would probably be better served to leave well alone. A scab is nature's bandage and will provide the moist environment required for skin cell migration underneath. But you must be very careful to distinguish scab from dry surfaced, inactive granulation tissue. If in doubt, ask your vet which one you have.
    As a general rule, the longer you keep something bandaged, the smaller the scar that will result (chiefly because good bandaging reduces skin movement at the edge of the wound).
    In your case I would be inclined to go back to cleaning every second or third day, but when you do, be quite aggressive with it, so as to provoke some bleeding and ensure the granulation tissue does not grow proud. And I would lay
    off the betadine... Just use cold water or saline, then apply the green stuff. Repeated use of betadine can actually delay healing.
    As for the other, totally off track argument...
    I have done my fair share of paddock castrations, some of them under less than optimal conditions. I don't believe WA vets would see more or less complications than any other state (and im quite sure that comment was facetious). I have had my share, but in my experience true infection is rare compared to excessive bleeding, excessive swelling due to the incision closing prematurely, and anaesthetic complications. A clean surgical wound in an area that has spare skin tissue (mainly cos you just removed what was taking up the space *#)), even in paddock conditions, is an entirely different prospect from a contaminated open wound on a lmb that has no skin to spare for primary closure.
    However, in WA we are quite lucky in that we have a distinct, circumscribed blowfly season. Not very many around in July and August. TBH though I can't remember the last time I saw a blowfly struck castration wound - tails are very useful fly swats.
    I used to avoid castrating in summer, not because of flies but because they tend to bleed more on hot days.
    And EVP can I point out that when you quote in an attempt to make it look like one poster has had an about face, you are putting together quotes from 2 different people, both of whom to me look like they have had quite consistent positions.**)

13. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Great information AnnaE. And more or less is exactly what I posted re castration.

Yes I was quoting from 2 people. Although they were intertwined. Assuming that when someone "likes" a post they are agreeing with it?

The only consistency in the replies was the inconsistency......lolol

But you get that. Even in the face of ridiculousness. Some will still argue the world is flat just for effects.

14. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Bit off topic (ok, way off), but I thought the "Likes" were for directing the hurried reader to those posts that most directly answered an OP's topic.

15. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I agree :).
    My girl first hurt herself at 3 months old. Not halter trained at all.

Halter was put on and I probably 'expected' a lot from her but she delivered. Stood tied up and allowed the vet to treat her leg and needle her. No sedation required! One pull back and she was over it.
    She then had on going complications for 2 years and she's a well handled, relaxed and patient girl :). I never 'babied' her and expected what I did of a trained horse and she just did it all :).

Given her list of injuries I've tried it all. I won't use prednoderm anymore and I refuse to use honey.

I'm a firm believer that less is more. The less you handle it, the faster it heals. So if its unbandaged and if there's no proud flesh. I leave it a lone. Clean maybe once a week (depending on the severity of the wound) and generally keep a close eye on it. If its rather open then I swear by Proud-Aid. Expensive stuff but of all the things I used, it is my number one product!

Bandaged I leave for quite a few days. Yucky to change but the wound is healing well!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  16. EVP

EVP Gold Member

I think the "like" is self explanatory......you tick it, you like it. If someone likes something they obviously agree with the content of it.

Couldn't be simplier.

17. Diesel91

Diesel91 Well-known Member

Sorry I’ve only just noticed how many replies were on my post! I haven’t read them all when the discussing of castrating was happening but thankyou for the replies.
    I’ve now cut back to only cleaning every 2-3 days and moved onto honey. Unfortunately I cannot bandage him as with this rain I cannot keep him confined and he loves to play in puddles!! Lol but we have had no problem with proud flesh and the smallest of the wounds has almost decreased to about half of the size!
    Im very happy with how its going and he will be going out to spell next weekend, im very lucky that he will be spelling 2 minutes around the corner so I can still bring him in to clean every 3 days. We leave him with bell boots on now we are not bandaging as we are worried about overreaching and reopening it. Im out cleaning this afternoon so will post some updated photos.

Thanks again :)

18. PetaBizz

PetaBizz Well-known Member

I recently had a 6 month old foal go through a fence on the day of a nasty storm (although playing silly buggers with her big brother was the real reason of going through the fence!) She had good handling prior to the injury and had been used to float boots, fly veils and cotton rugs. The injury went down to bone on both sides of her offside hind leg. I seriously considering having her put to sleep and probably would have if I didnt have fantastic friends around who have helped me every step of the way. We were able to get her to our vets who cleaned it and bandaged it. She stayed at the vets for about a week and came home with abs and instructions to change the bandage every second or third day. First bandage change was good, clean and she was pretty good to handle. Every change after that however resulted in her throwing herself onto the floor and then refusing to get up. Only once did she land in a way that I continued to bandage the leg *#) At about day 15 I was pulling out my hair and ready to have her put to sleep. Couldnt cope at all and it was taking three of us to treat her injury.

In the end, my hubby who is completely non horsy said to either take her to the vet for a bandage change or put her down. So back to the vet we went, where she was drugged, then scrubbed and rebandaged. This went on weekly for about 4 weeks, then onto fortnightly and the bandage has just come off. I had the proud flesh cut off once, quite early on. We have now taken off her bandage this week and the wound has healed. So after this huge novel, the moral of the story is to leave it bandaged as long as possible lol:)

19. Arnie:D
    could you tell us why?';'

20. **)**)
    PetaBizz:)
    do yoiu mind me asking what breed is your foal?