wound management

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Pepsea, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Pepsea

Pepsea Gold Member

can i have some advice please?

jayke went through a fence in some storms 2 and a half weeks ago,i was cleaning it etc then i was away for a 10days, in that time a friend was keeping it clean for me.

when he first did it i had the vet out, he had his tetnus and was on antibiotics every 2nd day for a week.

now im back i have to get onto treating it properly
    here it it this morning
    opinions on how to treat it?
    im thinking get the vet out again to re-asess it

being told diffrent ways to treat it by diffrent people inm confused at what would be best

i have always sworn by white healer

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2009
  2. Horsewest

Horsewest Well-known Member

3. Remaani

Remaani Guest

This is what i did to Peaches when she was here 2.5 wks.
    I prefer not to use water from the hose as past experience on a similar injury (but much more worse with more bone exposure), it promotes Proud Flesh, so i wash with warm/salty water, dry, apply Yellow Lotion to a pad, stick to the wound then bandage.
    Changing every 3 to 4 days & repeat.

This is when it happened, 7th October.

[​IMG]

3 days later, i think she arrived here the day after.

[​IMG]

2nd November, taken once she went back home.

[​IMG]

I guess you'll get MANY opinions but best to stick to what's worked previously, or vets advice. ;)

4. Pepsea

Pepsea Gold Member

at the time vets advise was hose and spray with anticeptic spray.

might get him out to re-asess!
    i havent had an injury this bad before, only smaller ones.

there is proud flesh forming

5. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

:eek: Ouchy !
    No advice to offer on treating it Pepsea. (Thankfully I've never had to treat those types of wounds.)
    Just wanted to wish you all the best in getting it healed quickly and with minimal scarring.

6. Pepsea

Pepsea Gold Member

thanx zaza

i have decided to call the vet tomrrow and get him out to see it again, might be able to cut the proudflesh before it get to bad, and then tell me the best way to keep it away

7. Anna E

Anna E Guest

Yep - trim that proud flesh back level with the skin, then bandage with Dermaclens/Solosite/Manuka honey (or whatever the vet recommends). I wouldn't be going with anything really harsh at this stage as the proud flesh isn't too bad (the leg at the back in the photo is ALMOST at the "able to scab over by itself" stage in fact I'd be in two minds as to whether to bandage it or not).

8. Pepsea

Pepsea Gold Member

anna yupp the one at the back of the photo was seaming the worst one when it happened but has seamed to heal nicer, but the front of the pic one has opened up and developed proud flesh. will call the vet in the morning and see if he can come clean them up for me/get rid fo the proud flesh.

im not keen on bandaging, but i will if i have to, if the vet thinks it will help out

9. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

I've never needed to have proud flesh 'cut' off by a vet. I use copper sulphate in water, using a ratio of about 1 part copper to 20 parts water. Just dab on with cotton wool once or twice per day until the wound is clean and the proud flesh gone. Sometimes only one or two applications is enough.

Good luck with it Emma.**)

10. Pockets

Pockets Gold Member

I agree-if you cut proud flesh off it just keeps coming back. Can't see the pic 'cause the links been removed but we've always just chucked copper sulphate on neat(after protecting the surrounding tissue) then when it starts to dry up spray tentamicin (oops sp?) on it-good stuff!!

11. Lokenzo

Lokenzo Gold Member

Prednoderm is great for proud flesh but ONLY once the wound has fully granulated over. I haven't had proud flesh cut off and 1 had a lot of it. Once the vet confirmed it was fully granulated over we used prednoderm. The vet came to do the next change expecting to have to cut the proud flesh and there was none, it works very quickly.

12. Pepsea

Pepsea Gold Member

had the vet out this morn, he said it's not bad enough to cut off, but he has orderd some cream in thats great for proud flesh. and he wants me to bandage for now to keep the flys off and keep it clean etc.

he said white healer that i have been using is good, so hes got that on and bandages, just have to wait till the proud flesh stuff(dunno if it is a cream or spray) comes in

13. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

Copper sulphate would be cheaper and very effective!

Can you post the pics again, as I didn't get to see them....please!**)

14. Pepsea

Pepsea Gold Member

can someone tell em exactly what/how use use the copper sulphate?

here are the pic i had up before shwing both legs
    [​IMG]

then here are seperats of each leg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Firstly, put Vaseline around the wound so it doesn't burn elsewhere.
    Mix up some copper sulphate with water, i add a couple of tablespoons of CS & then add just enough water to make a thick paste.
    Then slap it on! :D
    You can bandage as well if you want, might make it easier but remember to only get the CS on the proud flesh. **)

16. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

OUCHIE!!! Silly Jayke!

Good luck with that Pepsea, I have used Debrisol for proud flesh before but it was only very minor - I would stick with what your vet says.