Wound Management....Paris Injured pics ( graphic)

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by KC Quarter Horses, Jul 29, 2007.

1. CJR

CJR Well-known Member

Wow I'm really impressed with the wound management and the fact that you can stomach the photos LOL, its showing deifnite improvement..

2 weeks after I brought Dusty he did a massive injury to his back leg, stripping the skin to the bone and making a huge hole in his leg. I had so much 'information' and 'help' from people who apparently knew better I started to loose sleep and stress constantly that I was doing the right thing, thankfully with the help of vets he healed no bone or tendon damage but a yucky scar.. I think his injury was one of the most stressful things that has ever happened to me with horses to be honest... I sympathise wounds of any size are stressful.

Col:D

2. KC Quarter Horses

KC Quarter Horses Gold Member

Although this wound looks bad CJR I would be more concerned if it was a leg, as the circulation is not as good there.
    My friend tells me I am good at wound management LOL.....the vet commented.....does that mean you have had heaps of practise LOL
    I suppose all you can say is if you have livestock, you will have wounded stock & even dead stock ........the more animals you have the more chance there is of them getting hurt, regardless of how well you think everything is set up or all the effort you put into making your property as injury proof as possible.
    I have had numerous injuries from horses kicking at each other & just connecting at a bad spot. I could separate them but I think horses are better being in company & sometimes unexpected things happen.....like this injury.
    There has been hundreds of horses transported in this truck without injury, so this was totally unexpected, but will make us look harder at potential injuries in the future.
    I too get lots of advice but trust my vet so follow his advice to a T, he has always been right in the past. He is also really great at explaining everything in detail.......there is comfort in understanding LOL :)

3. Monkey

Monkey Well-known Member

Looks good KC, hope she recovers fast. :)

4. KC Quarter Horses

The rotting smell it to be expected as we always knew the flap would die. Circulation to that flap was compromised but was stitched there as a protectant to the wound underneath.
    Also where the wound was lacerated all the little shredded bits had to slew off.
    Underneath that rotting skin flap is really nice regenerating tissue.
    The salty water is also astringent & has drying qualities but is causes granulation. Once we have achieved the desired amount we will switch to honey, but for the moment I am sticking to the vets advice & he will tell me when to change tactics :)
    At the moment the weather is terrific for healing.......all it does is rain & there are no flies here atm......so they do not concern me.
    She is rugged to keep warmth & increase circulation to the area as the air is very cold & damp.
    My vet still thinks she will be back at it with in 8 weeks, where I had a foot injury that took 5 to 6 months & that injury looked pretty minor compared to this one.
    It will be interesting to see how the wound continues to heal & just how long it does take :)

5. Belinda

Belinda Well-known Member

I honestly have no idea how you are managing to deal with this. Its all I can do to force myself to look at the photos, let alone being there in person and seeing and smelling it.

Keep up the good work!

6. KC Quarter Horses

LOL Belinda............I must admit .......I have had better jobs :) Hubby has been really good though, he spends ages with her cleaning all that crap off her legs & scratching her.......it is obviously itchy behind the leg & she jsut cant reach it, so he gets a brush & washes her & then get a scraper & scrapes it of & she just loves it LOL Her lips twitch & she lowers her head & goes all soft in the eye.
    I bought her a new rug so we can alternate with a clean one, so we give her a big groom when we change them over.......... as bad as it smells in there, we still love spending time with her as she is so sweet & soooooooo appreciative of the attention. Even the vet is getting fond of her I think..... I think his comment was something along the lines of " you can't help getting attached to these big horses, there is just something about them" :)

7. GeeJay

GeeJay Guest

I have to say its looking impresive I can see it starting to fill, I just wished I hadn't eating Blue vein cheese on crackers *#) before I looked.

When Mr M was here he told us all about it LOL and how much he liked her very European type he said big Bugger as well:)

All the best Janet@)

8. On a little cut Cetrigen is OK. On the wound like yours, it is not really a good idea, because as Bindi mentioned, it dries the wound out and slows down the healing. To speed the healing up you got to keep this wound moist, fly and infection free. We were using an anticeptic/fly repellant cream on Bunny, it is bright yellow (for the life of me I don't remember the name of it. You'd be better off using that over the flesh after you rinse it with salty water or iodine solution spray (not too strong thou, coz it also dries out the flesh surface). Pour honey over the wound and rub the cream over it.
    It is up to you to take the advice or not, I just feel sorry for the mare.
    Cheers, Lena.:)

9. kim

kim New Member

You are doing such a good job with that horrible wound. Thanks for the updates. it is very interesting.

10. cobbie

cobbie Gold Member

Lena, would that be Yellow Lotion?

11. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Starting to look better KC, good on you, your huby & the vet for doing a great job helping her.

Stick to your vets advice, they've seen the injury in person (or is that horse? :D). **)

12. No, Tarz
    It is not a yellow lotion (it also seals and dries the wound) It comes in a tube and it keeps the surface moist.
    It is the same principle when you don't want scarring after healing. The longer the wound stays moist,the less scarring you'll end up with.
    It is too cold to go out side in the stables to see what it's called. I'll post the name tomorrow.
    Cheers, Lena

13. cobbie

cobbie Gold Member

Oh, I think I know what you mean, I have it too, but like you, can't remember the name yet lol.

14. cobbie

cobbie Gold Member

Is it Septicide Cream?? Thats what I have and its bright yellow and in a tube lol.

15. KC Quarter Horses

I think what you are on about is Septicide cream....you are right Tarz, however my vet is VERY experienced & I will follow his directions as I have done so in the past & he has always given me good advice & while Paris's wound does look horrible she is putting weight on her leg & her spirits are good :)

16. KC Quarter Horses

Janet.....I think Alan rather likes Paris, he spent a bit of time patting & scratching her.....usually he just does his job LOL
    Told me she would be a really pretty mare if it wasn't for that god aweful blaze LMAO
    He was so happy with how it has progressed..........so until next week, when he comes again we will just keep on perservering.
    Everyone who spends any time with her falls for her LOL.........she really is a lovely natured mare......Oh & BIG LOL
    We have all these mares atm ........the last 2 Duchess & Paris while both TB's are so quiet & we just love them to bits.
    Lately everytime we go out its been with 3 or 4 mares & Crafty.........poor bugger, he thinks he is a stud still LMAO :)

17. Ditto, Tarz!
    Ceptiside creme it is!
    Cheers, lena:)*

18. alex

alex Well-known Member

colibanqh - i think Jennie is doing a great job, and she is following the vet's instructions, and the vet does know best after all.
    if she's been told that Cetrigen is alright to use then i don't see a problem.

19. deschuur

deschuur Gold Member

Just seen the latest pics of Paris's wound. It looks awful, can understand why you have your hubby helping you with that.

I know what a healing wound smells like, it is funny how the wound looks worse before it starts to look better. the closest I have seen to this wound was when my stallion tried to geld himself and got an infection in the groin area - it smelt foul (can still smell in two years on), it took months to completely heal and today you would not even know he had a wound on the inside of his leg (the size of a plate) and testicles also had some trauma.

You are doing a great job with Paris and she sounds like a very good patient:)

20. goldenqh

goldenqh New Member

I was just hving a look to see how things were going.
    i was impressed to see that bindi and coliban are so confident that they are right and the vet is wrong.
    Now let me see if i had to choose between binbi and coliban hummmm no vet certificate no vet experience no vet nursing no vet anything.
    Mr M 30+ years vet experience, vet to many of the racing stables yearts of equine vet study years of equine wound management.

Oh bugger this is a hard decision im in a delema LOL not really Mr M would win hands down.
    I would think it is scary when comments are made that could jeapodise wound management from people that are not qualified to do so. It is one thing to talk about or give some advise on minor injuries but i think thats were the vet advise ends. For people to think they are BETTER than vets is very SCARRRRRRY.
    Just remember all that famous chineese saying
    Opinions are like %$%holes everyone has one and they all blow wind and dribble sh$@t.