Wound Management....Paris Injured pics ( graphic)

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by KC Quarter Horses, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Oldhack77

Oldhack77 Gold Member

sounds like its her nature that will make her all that much more treatable....... what a beautiful little mare she is....... will there be much scarring?

2. KC Quarter Horses

KC Quarter Horses Gold Member

I would have thought she would have some scaring, but the vet says very little if any.

Below I have a photo of our old mare Jenny's wound. This wound when we found her was very deep & alot larger than what you see here. It was also rotten & had maggots in it. Some of the puncture spots went deeper than the length of my forceps.

She spent 4 days in hospital in Bunbury, all the bad flash was cut away, drains were put in & she was stitched up as much as possible. With this wound the flap also dies back & I just cut it away as it blackened.

The local vet told me to syringe it with a betefine solution everyday but the vet I get from Bunbury disagrees........so I follow his advice.

With her I syringed out the wound twice a day with warm salty water, rubbed it back to pink & sprayed it with centrigen.

The photo shows the wound about 2 weeks after I got her back & it went on to totally heal with no scarring at all. You would have to look very hard to find evidence of it at all.

When my local vet first saw this wound she suggested maybe puting the mare down, thats how bad it looked & smelt.

image[​IMG]

As you can see it looks pretty good here & my old girl is still going strong :)

3. Belinda

Belinda Well-known Member

Oh God KC, I've only just seen this thread, and just SEEING the photos, let alone smelling them, makes me want to retch. If I'd lowered my float ramp and seen that I would have fainted dead on the spot - or gone and had a vomit, one or the other!!

Sounds like all is going well as far as the healing goes. I take my hat off to you for your dedication - and bravery for getting close enough to catch a whiff!!

Hope it all continues to improve....

4. KC Quarter Horses

I have been lucky Belinda......my OH has taken to washing Paris as he has a much stronger stomach than me.
    He gave her a big groom this morning .........which she enjoyed.
    The vasaline makes it much easier to wash away the discharge & it protects her skin.
    Nic.....Paris may be beautiful, but she is by now way little LOL.....she is a gentle giant :)

5. jodles

jodles Well-known Member

Ok you have to look at equiade My old horse had a severed artery and the vet used this after surgery it is the most incredible ointment...it sets like fiberglass and the wound heals....made for this type of injury......they may even provide it for you for a before and after case. google it and it should tell you where you can get it. I have a vet here but is in QLD

6. NiknMel

NiknMel New Member

For the putrid smell, you can try putting a little bit of Vicks under your nose. It smells so strong it overrides the other smell. If you have sensitive skin try some veseline mixed with tea tree oil. Hope that helps.

7. Talkingshell

Talkingshell Well-known Member

Oh gee, OUCH alright and I can see her bum a bit swollen but that was expected! I hope she'll heal nicely and minimal scarring! Thanks for the updates, looking better (even it looks gross though) than what the first photo was...

Take care...:)

8. KC Quarter Horses

Looks worse today as she has ripped the stitches at the bottom open, but the vet said dont worry it will still be ok.
    So now I start the warm salty water to syringe out the dead flesh from the open gaping bit.......mmmmm lovely

9. Monkey

Monkey Well-known Member

Thanx KC for the pic ..lol
    It looks great! good work..:)*

10. cobbie

cobbie Gold Member

Nasty, good to hear the vet is happy with it however if I was in this situation I think I would be paying someone to cut the skin off for me blah! I have a very weak stomach

11. KC Quarter Horses

OK here is the latest photo.

Her stitchs have come apart at the bottom & the flap is starting to die back. Vet says all is still ok......is to be expected & not to worry

image[​IMG]

I am now rinsing out the large wound with warm salty water.....3 tablespoons per litre of water & then spraying with centrigen

12. genuinesqueak

genuinesqueak Active Member

wow it actually isnt look as bad as what i thought
    it looks as if she's maybe putting a bit of weight on it? not sure if that's good or bad of course but i'd imagine it'd help being able to put weight on it :D
    good job KC :)*

13. Monkey

Monkey Well-known Member

Well looks good so far! hope it continues to improve! :)

14. KC Quarter Horses

Yeah she does put weight on it.....in fact now she will put all her weight on it to rest the other & she moves around pretty good on it also :)

15. Placido

Placido Well-known Member

ahhh that must be very painful for her hope it heals soon

16. princeton

princeton Well-known Member

**) You can really see it starting to knit in the top sections.

That is great that she has no probs weight bearing on it, must be peace of mind to know that there is no really bad muscle pain and that will no doubt aid in the speed in which she will be sound.

Will be watching her progress eagerly:)

17. KC Quarter Horses

Well Alan M the vet came & he is more than happy with how Paris is going.....the wound is B beautiful.

We are still to do the warm salty water & centrigen & thats all for the time being, until the flap rots off.

Its still really smelly although not as bad as a week ago

So all is good

So this is day 9

image[​IMG]

18. KC Quarter Horses

The salty water is to encourage cell regeneration & the soft yellow discharge is epidermus cells regenerating. The darker yellow is granulation forming.....Alan was really impressed at how good it is looking & is glad I am taking lots of photos as he says I will be amazed at how quick this will recover :)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2007
  19. Talkingshell

Talkingshell Well-known Member

Oh gee:eek: !!!

Doesn't look nice but I guess it's showing that it's starting to heal with cell regeneration and epidermus cells regenerating too which is the main thing and the VET is happy with it! All good**)

20. KC Quarter Horses

I know it doesn't look all that stunning TS LOL. I thought it would be a good thing to put progress photos up with only a few days between them so people can see what how the healing process works.....gross as it is LOL :)