Wound Management....Paris Injured pics ( graphic)

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by KC Quarter Horses, Jul 29, 2007.

1. j_hayman_

j_hayman_ New Member

thats great news, didnt realise a wound like that can be healed and gotten over so quickly. amazing

2. Talkingshell

Talkingshell Well-known Member

Great news! I have my fingers/toes crossed that everything will just be dandy fine when she's fully healed and be back in work with Donna!

3. GeeJay

GeeJay Guest

Thats just fab and as for the smell boy I know what you mean STINKY POO. I always remember when I helped re dress Sparrows wounds after his owner got him caught in a cattle grid, it was raw and boy did they look awfull oh and that smell :eek: but they healed with hardley a scare and Mr M was just the best then to:) .

You are lucky she didn't go down or her legs could have been injured big time.

None of us ever want to go through this sort of thing and I certainly feel for you all.

We will be seeing Mr M on Thursday he is coming to remove 2 large peanuts from Smoky LOL booked 6 months ago but now the weather is perfect no dust :)

Cheers Janet@)

4. KC Quarter Horses

KC Quarter Horses Gold Member

Alan is great .........& I am sure Whitney, his dog will be looking forward to eating those swellings ........nothing like a castration to get her all excited LMAO ....we are very lucky to have him. He didn't even um or ah about coming down on his Sunday, just said.........i'm on my way :)

5. Good news are always good, aren't they?
    If it was my mare, I would exray her pelvice (that there is no hip fracture) in some cases you wouldn't see any signs of it from outside, until you start riding her again, and it is quite a possibility, the mare is big and the wound is not small either = the impact on her hips was quite considerable too. So best be safe than sorry, especially for a SJ career.
    Cheers, Lena:D

6. Wow that look painful.

KC I had a buckskin pony as a kid do a similar injury, it was stitched very much the same and at the time I packed it full of honey for months and it healed perfectly without leaving a massive scar....PLUS I was riding him in no time.

Looks bad, but in time I think it will heal just fine **)

7. KC Quarter Horses

I dont think that will be necessary. I have seen a horse with a fracture before.....a small fracture on the sesamoid.
    I could tell with that horse that the injury was way more than soft tissue & expected by the way she presented that she had a fracture.
    Had her xrayed & I was correct.
    Paris is in pain from her wound, but has not been given any pain relief for 2 days. If she had a fracture of any bone she would show obvious signs of extreme pain. She would tremble & sweat, be dull in the eyes, be off her food, elevated heart rate etc
    While it hurts her to move around, she still does. She is still affectionate & will curl her lip when scratched. She still nickers & grooms Pluto over the stable & is generally in good spirits.
    She is eating & drinking. She has some fill in her good leg & is getting 5mls of bute to help with inflamation but not to dull the pain too much. Her first does was tonight.
    She has a soft tissue wound yes, fracture no

8. KC Quarter Horses

My vet said today WF that she probably would not have a scar or much of one.
    We are not at the honey stage .....probably a week away from that.
    She is rugged to keep her warm & increase the circulation to the area. As I have had to treat a wound in a similar area & although not anywhere near as big it was very gruesome. That wound never scarred at all & with that horses injury, when my local vet saw it she said maybe I should put her down.
    I used warm salty water & centigen .....thats all. I have used honey many times though & its great :)
    With my other girl, I took her to Bunbury & she spent 4 days in hospital there before I brought her home & continued treatment.

9. Reigate

Reigate Well-known Member

Good to hear the vets happy with it KC!!! :)

10. Jewels'

Jewels' Well-known Member

Gosh KC and Donna,

I have only just seen this post, what a shock to see such an awful injury on your beautiful girl.

She certainly sounds like she is receiving the best care both for her wounds and her emotional needs. All the best for a speedy recovery.

I would of been heading for the scotch after the vet left on Sunday.

Julie

11. Monkey

Monkey Well-known Member

Thats great everything is turning out well! :)

12. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Geez thats a scary injury, i would of freaked as well.

Am very glad KC that all will be ok & i know she's in good hands, your doing a great job so far, as i know the type of "smell" your dealing with.

Best of luck with the girl, look forward to updates. **)

13. Paddys girl

Paddys girl Well-known Member

Wow - amazing. I saw a young racehorse filly at Larkhill a couple of months ago with a wound alot worse than that and they expected her to recover and continue on so I'm sure Paris will be fine :)

Keep us up to date with the pictures and how you are treating it - love to learn from these sorts of things!

14. KC Quarter Horses

Thats nice to hear Paddys Girl ..... apart from not liking to see her in pain or discomfort, its really handling the smell that I find hard. It also lingers with you & is hard to get off your hands. My back is not the best so I find all the dry heaving dosent help it much LOL
    I don't know whether to take a photo now.....a few days later or just take them weekly. While the vet says...........looks terrific, I think yuck. :)

15. Monkey

Monkey Well-known Member

id like to see a pic of it now KC...:)

16. KC Quarter Horses

OK Moonlight, I went out & took this a minute ago. I decided not to wash away the discharge before taking the photo so you can see what it looks like.
    You will see a yellow discharge coming out from under the stitched flap at the bottom........this is what the vet was hoping for.
    The brownish discharge is basically the body slewing off the dead cells & the yellow is cause with new cell regeneration.....this will be yellow & frothy

image[​IMG]

While it does look gross it is what one would expect to see at this time

Also that big flap will die, so it will start to blacken around the edges & as it dies back I will cut it off. It was stitched there to create a nice wet healing environment underneath

17. squirrel

squirrel Well-known Member

OUCH!!! the poor baby!!!:(
    well it looks HEEPS better then the first pics

18. KC Quarter Horses

All the purple / pink on her is actually the centrigen that we spray on her....which is basically all she is getting on the wound at the moment :)

19. Oldhack77

Oldhack77 Gold Member

jen - you are doing an amazing job....... is she in good spirits still? i bet keeping her enclosed is sending her balmy

20. KC Quarter Horses

Actually NIc I thought she would be more stressed about being locked up, but I have brought up other horses to keep her company.
    If she was by herserlf I think she would stress much more.
    We do go in & visit her a few times a day, wash her with warm water....which she seems to love, give her a scratch & some attention & make sure she has heaps of nice hay. We have some lovely oaten hay which she just loves munching on all day LOL.
    Her support leg has a little fill, so to help ease her discomfort she gets 5mls of bute paste morning & night.
    If I put the powder in her food she wont eat it, but she is really good about having the paste & is good with needles.
    She is actually a very sweet horse that takes most things in her stride.....just her nature alone makes her very lovable :)