Wound healing question

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Tam, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Tam

Tam Well-known Member

I am quite sure Tepe has a sarcoid on one of her hind heels. It seems to have reduced in size over the last few weeks but she developed it after slicing her heel on the bottom of a shed. I read recently that this relates to a virus and the various methods of removing them as well as the train of thought that says leave it alone if it is not doing any harm.

However the problem that i have noticed is that any wound she has, even the small ones seem to take a really long time to heal and i would like to know if there is anything i can either feed her (to boost the immune system) or use on the wounds themself to heal them. None of them are serious at all but they just seem to take so long to get better.

At the moment i use an iodine product- can't remember the name of it but i bought it from horseland.

So any suggestions? I have been thinking about the sea minerals products? I also used to have a black powder from a stockfeeder that was great for preventing proud flesh or breaking open existing proud flesh but i can't seem to find the product anywhere now.

2. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

I.ve found that heel injuries do tend to take a while to heal and using iodine on it everyday might be slowing it down more as it can damage good cells as well as bad ones. I've had good results using pure zinc on heel injuries as long as they arn't oozing

3. Tam

Tam Well-known Member

Thanks Bigred- where would you get that from? The other wounds aren't on her heel- she has one on either side of her flank and a couple of nicks on her back legs.

4. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

If her wounds are slow at healing I would be inclined to do a feed analysis. It sounds like your horse has a vitamin or mineral deficiency.

A good suppliment may help her healing times reduce

5. Tam

Tam Well-known Member

I have balanced her feed using Feed XL- she has only been in from a paddock (getting no feed or supplements except grass) for 4 weeks. How long would it take for the new feeds to take effect- i don't want to change things if i haven't given her long enough for the new feeding to kick in.

6. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

It would depend on how deficient she was in the vitamin or mineral before you changed her diet.

Did you get her pasture assessed by a lab? That can be worth doing to find out if it is deficient in something

7. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

NP's! I usually get iy from one of the shops in the baby section or a chemist
    Sometimes thyriod probs causes slow healing but thats pretty rare, what do you mean by healing slowly? do they still ooze and look pussy after a week or so?

8. Tam

Tam Well-known Member

There's not alot of pus as such, although there are a couple of them that seem to open again very easily and bleed and one that is a little yellowed. Proud flesh seems to build easily too.

My partner went to see her today and apparently she has another little cut on her leg- sigh : (