Would your horse trust you in a dangerous situation?

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by Naomi, Aug 4, 2003.

1. Naomi

Naomi Well-known Member

I was riding my horse out alone yesterday and a few things happened that really got me thinking. 3 dogs chased us and napped at his heels. To make sure he didnt kick the dog or get bitten, i had to growl at the dog enough to get rid of it, without scaring my horse. Luckily, my stroking his neck as i yelled at the dog, assured him he wasnt in trouble.

I was really impressed with my boy and I think events like that do bring you and your horse closer together because they learn that you are they're safety zone.
    This sort of event makes me wonder, how many of us can really say that in a dangerous situation, would our horses really trust us enough to act calmly and go against all instincts that scream RUN!!!

"It is often said that if a dog is a man's best friend, then a horse is a man's best slave."

2. The Old Grey Mare

The Old Grey Mare Active Member

this is not a road situation, but a similar type of trust was requried.
    she was in a float & had an argument with the other horse & ended up putting her front legs over the chest bar. the float was a rockin' & i ran to the float & gently opened the door (on her side, thank God). as soon as she saw me, she stopped moving & looked at me as if to say, well, hurry up, I'm stuck here. the incident was totally her fault, but her response was funny (afterwards.) another incident, she was cast in a yard with her back legs through the rails after rolling in the warm sand. i had to hop into the yard, drag her around & roll her over. not once did she make any attempt to get up, till she was in a safe position to get up.

3. dressage2003

dressage2003 New Member

My Mare is also great.
    When riding along the roads (we have to go up the side of the highway to get to the pines) she is just sooo good with big semis going past and if she gets a little worried you just tell her its all right and then shes fine.
    She also cast herself against a ring-lock fence (with her legs through the fence!!!) and luckily i was there to help her. She just waited patiently while i got her legs out of the fence and then helped her roll over. I hate to think what may of happened if i hadnt been there.
    Another time we had to pick up my young horse from the breakers. We loaded her first because she is easy, and then she stood nice and patiently while the big brute was coming in, flying out, jumping around etc and she didnt move a muscle.
    She is such a good girl, especially since she is just a kid.

4. Tam

Tam Well-known Member

I think one of the most important things to teach a horse, that many people forget, is that "not everything is directed at you". I find because i never yell at my horse, if i am yelling (at a dog or something) he assumes its not at him. Same as if i make aggresive movements without warning, he knows that i don't normally act like this so its probably not at him. I think this has to do with your horse knowing that you (like any other horse in a herd situation) are predictable and that certain things happen when you handle them. I find that people that yell and or hit their horses alot can't manage situations like Naomis as there horse immediately assumes their aggressive behaviour is aimed at them- just like normal! One of the biggest things i have overcome with my horse is his huge fear of whips. I never used to be able to hold a whip near him and now i wouldn't think of riding without a dressage whip as he knows it will never be used against him 9 or as a form of punishment. Horses whose instincts take over can be very dangerous as they have no regard for anything except what they perceive to be the danger that lays before them!

5. Goldpally

Goldpally Active Member

Mine has also been faced with a horiffic situation in a float and the other horse was injured badly and needed to be put down . He was trustful enough to stand quietly while she basically tried to get out and then did not have too much apprehension about getting back on a float . It was a terrible situation and once again goes to prove temprement is everything . He was only about 18 months at the time and the other horse was the same age and had both been in a float the same amount of times.

6. Naomi

Naomi Well-known Member

Its amazing what your relationship with a horse can achieve hey? They are so smart when they want to be!!

"It is often said that if a dog is a man's best friend, then a horse is a man's best slave."

7. Belinda

Belinda Well-known Member

I had a situation where I asked my horse to trust me but unfortunately I totally let him down and felt awful about it for days afterwards. Felt like I'd betrayed him, not that he held it against me. We were out riding last winter and needed to go through what looked to me like a big puddle/boggy patch. He really resisted and didn't want to go through but I pushed him to, thinking to myself the whole time "trust me, trust me". As it turned out the "puddle" was quite a bit deeper and he almost disappeared down it. He managed to get his front feet out and on the other side, but really had to struggle to dislodge his rear end and get clear. We were so lucky he didn't hurt his back in his struggles.

Belinda

8. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I had that too Belinda...Cantered my horse through the dam (In summer) like I usually do but went further down by accident...My horse fell and went right under the water. Luckily I didn't fall if I did the way it was it would of been alot worse...after a big fight / mad panic with 5 foot mud + 2ft water he managed to get out but was covered in thick mud head 2 foot...never again does he walk straight into a puddle with or without me without putting a foot in to check 1st...

~§Arnie§~

9. Kateena

Kateena Active Member

Would trust my old mare absolutely. A bitch, but had fantastic manners and really looked after you when you where on her back - just didn't want to go anywhere or especially anywhere you wanted to go that was away from her paddock. We got on really well before I had to lease her out (getting to old for my fast stuff)

My latest mare - well, she's already let me down lots of times - literally. Even helped sometimes [​IMG] Just not a confident horse - didn't really know me that well. When I get her back we'll play some friendly games and such. Should help.