Would you still ride if .....

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by Its Party Time, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Its Party Time

Its Party Time Well-known Member

I can remember awhile ago, giving some advice to a stockies member about riding after a back injury, think I spoke to soon.
    I had a spinal fusion in my lower back, 19 years ago and was told then that I would never ride again. I didn't ride for 14 years and then 5 years ago I started again and have never had a problem.

:eek:

Well my fusion in my back has decided to come apart and my doctor told me today I will possibly NEVER ride again and I will need surgery sooner rather than later.

My boy Party is my life and selling him or even leasing him would destroy me, I do have my 12 y/o daughter who can ride him but he is a little full on for her sometimes. I thought well at least I can still do breed shows but realised I won't even be able to run him out#(

Reality is setting in and I am devastated ....

2. izzy2512

izzy2512 Gold Member

Sorry to hear :( I can imagine how devastated you would be, I hope it all works out for you whatever decision you make

3. Imperial

Imperial Well-known Member

Sorry to hear :(it cant be easy.
    But stay positive, you never know what the future holds.

4. princeton

princeton Well-known Member

oh no! Hugs mate....that sounds aweful....are you in pain or they are just recommending to not ride as something may happen??
    I know a few people who are not reeeeally meant to ride.....but they do:)

5. Its Party Time

Unfortunately the pain is getting worse every day. I always knew that one day the fusion would come apart but always presumed it would be when I was an old lady :confused:

I had 3 job interviews this week and will now have to cancel them#(

6. liver bird

liver bird Well-known Member

oh gretchen its sooo sad i think keeley would be perfect for party, she will put him in his place and not spoil him rotten like you do hahahah:p

7. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Oh no :(.
    Don't make the decision just yet. Wait and see what happens with your back first then think about it long and hard adding up the pro's and con's and where your heart lies.

8. Ro63

Ro63 New Member

Was just going to log off and read your post.....i am sending positive thoughts.....hugs....kisses....don't get too down bout it mate....if theres anything we can do you know my number...we can help with Party if you need.....go easy - take care of yourself and see you tomorrow nite:) xx

9. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

o mate. i am so sorry, what devastating news. take it easy on yourself and take some time out - no definitive answers yet. doctors are always good at giving bad news - they have to be. some time and rest will help bring some perspective.

10. Its Party Time

Thanks everyone for your kind words etc

Ro check with Janet tomorrow if meeting is on. I won't be able to come down as cannot sit or stand for too long at the moment. I am hoping the pain killers Dr gave me will kick in soon. ;) Thanks for your offer with Party this is why I haven't contacted CL as yet! xx

11. Andhi

Andhi Gold Member

*HUG* Gretchen, take each day as it comes.
    And I am more than happy to take Party under my care :D

12. simbin

simbin Gold Member

That is awful. My dad and brother in law have had spinal fusions. I'm amazed you have been able to ride at all. It must be so devastating for you.

Hugs xxxx

13. Oldhack77

Oldhack77 Gold Member

Oh Gretch!!!! :( :( :( :(

One day at a time mate....... what a year :( Have pm'd you

14. Pockets

Pockets Gold Member

Thats awful I'd be devastated too and I think anyone would!! On a positive note it doesn't have to mean the end for you and Party-just a change! Have you ever seen Silke-shes a level 3 Parelli student and does the most awesome things with her two Fresians-all from a motorised chair,at liberty,on line-its just amazing!! So don't give up there are others alternative to riding if you get your head around them!!

15. sil

sil Gold Member

Have you considered driving?

16. Moondust

Moondust Well-known Member

Ooohhh nnnoooooo!!!!! Can you still so pleasure riding??? I would die knowing i could never ride again!!! Lots of hugs and kisses coming to you from me Rusty and Jai. Let me know if theres anything i can do to help. And best of luck with your decision with party... its gonna be a toughy what to do... but we all know you will do whats best, whatever choice that is.

17. Valencia Park Monty

Valencia Park Monty Well-known Member

Hi Gretchen

My thoughts are with you. Take one day at a time and see how things go! keep us posted on how you go. :)

Nichola

P.S Tonights meeting is cancelled...

18. Maddog 29

Maddog 29 Well-known Member

Hi Gretchen

Sorry to hear about your back, hope all works out for you.

I think Party would look lovely in harness, so hopefully that may be an option for you.

Best wishes

Amanda

19. cruisecontrolatwork

cruisecontrolatwork New Member

Sorry to hear about your back gretchen :( hope things start looking up for you soon

20. Gaia

Gaia Gold Member

Sorry to hear this. . I know what bad back pain feels like and its no fun. Hope all works out for you.