Would you purchase a roarer

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by feueriosa, Mar 7, 2013.

1. feueriosa

feueriosa New Member

Hi All,

I've never really encounted roarers before but I am looking at a nice boy who is 17hh 9yrs old and he is a light roarer. I thought he was just a heavy breather but the owner disclosed to me that he was diagnosed as a roarer when they originally purchased him. I will be doing trail riding and some very light eventing and dressage at a very low level with him (due to where we live which is in the middle of no where!) so I don't really forsee him ever being stressed out, however we live in the dessert so if dust makes them worse it could be an issue.. don't know.

Anyone got one and got any war stories? Not interested in any operations as he is not worth that kind of money.

Cheers..
    Feu

2. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

I've had one. It wasn't the dust or stress that made it any worse, it was his over-thinking and excitement :D We were the same as what you intended, so it didn't bother me at all, just a bit loud if he were very fresh.

With the market as it is though...I probably wouldn't buy one.

3. feueriosa

feueriosa New Member

Oh? Is the market really down? I've been out for 8 years and there doesn't seem much around in WA for sale that I would bother looking at!

4. NaeNae87

NaeNae87 Well-known Member

It really depends on how bad he is.

There are stories of mild roarers going around as pre-novice eventers without surgery and some that can barely cope with the canter work in a Prelim dressage test.

If he can cope with what you want him to do and he ticks all the other boxes why not give him a chance? :)

5. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Good eventing horses are still making good prices as far as I can tell, but yes, you can get some good up and coming bargains atm **)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  6. TBPA

TBPA Well-known Member

We had a pretty bad one colapsed in both sides he went round prelim eventing, competed dressage to medium won in hacking at the royal show. Really it was only in the cross country that it held him back prelim was his absolute limit. He went on till his twenties too. The key is conditioning he was brought along slowly from a young horse and always legged up well. There are so many going around that are 'not diagnosed' really it's just that you've at least encountered one that has been to the vet and the seller is being honest about. For what you want to do if he is nice in every other way he probably worth a go.

7. JustJam

JustJam Well-known Member

@) Okkkkay.... what's a roarer? :blink:

8. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Spending ANY money on a horse who has a pre-disclosed condition really needs alot of thought and consideration.

Has the horse been scoped? Without a scope or the report from one that has been done you are not going to know the extent of his condition.

Not knowing the extent of a horses health condition = a bad investment.
    You would be outlaying money on a horse who might get worse in your care, possibly becoming un-useable, and end up costing you money simply because as his owner you have the responsibility of his welfare, and he would likely be worth jack if he can't be used. Either way, you lose.

Before you buy him, you should get him scoped. Then you will know what level his Laryngeal hemiplegia (roarer/whistler) is.

If the scoping or testing (camera while riding) shows that its minor or manageable then you can rest easier knowing that YOUR management will help and control the condition. Low allergy/dust free hay. Wetting feed, dust free bedding, VERY good ventilation in stabling, and getting on top of any cough or worsening.

So to answer, no I wouldn't without a full vet exam including scoping.

9. kp

kp Well-known Member

There are different grades of roarer. Grade 4 being the worst, grade 3 is considered surgical. Grade 2 is where there is asymmetry present. However a grade 2 roarer can continue to deteriorate and become a grade 4. Think long and hard about this horse if you are going to be expecting this horse to do a reasonable amount of work.

10. myyky

myyky Well-known Member

I would, depending. And I thought I did LOL and it ended up be is a bleeder, not a roarer. I researched roaring a lot when I was getting my boy (which ended up begin useless of course, completely different issue -_- )

I've heard of a 2* eventer who is/was competing, and is/was a roarer. No problems at all. I believe there are 'grades' of roaring though, I definitely wouldn't get one that wasn't able to canter without passing out :/ But one that was only affected in race conditions (assuming its a TB) I would consider as even high level eventing doesn't require nearly as much oxygen as racing does.

Really depends on what you want to do as well, and how much you pay for it. Obviously resale won't be as good same as for any horse with ANY issue but if you plan on keeping the horse long term and aren't expecting to go to the Olympics, then I wouldn't discount the horse.

ETA: And I just read your post properly.. I would buy him if he is a nice ride, and you like him. For what you want to do I can't see there being much issue.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  11. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

Yes. I purchased a big warmblood with both my vet and I knowing he was a low grade roarer. It's actually not all that uncommon in the big horses.
    As has been said, it all depends on what you want the horse for and what benefits he can bring you. In my case I wanted the horse for dressage and being that he was far more educated than I was able to ride, the intent was that he could teach me a hell of a lot. (And that he did **) ) His roaring was never an issue for me.
    I rode him in the hills and gave him a decent amount of beach work and swimming without it ever being a problem. I never, ever regretted buying that horse. Purchasing him was one of the best decisions I've ever made !

Definitely find out what grade his roaring is and speak with your vet for advice. :))