Would you let your Horse go on Trial ?

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Nicky6065, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Cheeki

Cheeki Gold Member

I have done in the past, but don't think I would again.

I sold Jed using a 3 month trial/lease. I had a lengthy contract in place, and had full details of the owner (down to drivers lic, etc), and off he went. I only allowed him to go for 2 reasons - one. I had a GOOD gut feeling, and two. They lived a good couple of hours away. Three (yes i can't count LOL). I had a very detailed contract.
    It worked out beautifully, he's still with the family and I honestly couldn't have asked for a nicer home for him. (hello if you're reading this!! :) )

But I don't think I would again .. purely because I don't trust people LOL! On property is fine, but I'd still have a contract in place.

I do think trials can work, for sure, but I wouldn't let the horse go off the property again. I am super happy how it worked out with Jed though! :) I think that it's difficult to buy a horse without having a trial, one ride doesn't really show their true colours.

2. Tallarook

Tallarook Well-known Member

I would say definately NOT!

Sorry to be the party pooper here, but what if the horse gets out onto the road, kills someone in a car? all sorts of things can happen, can break its neck in the fence?

The legalities can be very daunting, and i for one wont put myself in that situation.

3. Pockets

Pockets Gold Member

I always tend to follow my gut with trials and so far(touch wood) its been fairly spot on! I always ask for a trial when buying so how can I flatly refuse trials when selling?? And its always been very casual-no contracts etc...maybe a bit silly in hindsight but as I said they've all worked out! Been pretty lucky though in that with the couple I've sold its been word of mouth...

4. needanswers

needanswers Well-known Member

You could always say that they are free to take the horse on a trial for 2 weeks. They need to put the full amount you have on the horse into your account before the horse leaves the property. If they don't like the horse, they return it and you return their money. Simple.

5. Better Gun

Better Gun New Member

I would say definately not. I just think its a huge risk and too big to take. Even if they put the full amount down the horse can come back in two weeks not the same as it left and you are left with it. However I do not have a problem at all with someone coming out as often as they like to try the horse on my property, or if I'm at a competition i'm fine with them jumping on and having a go while I watch.

I will give the first caller / person to look at the the first option on the horse, but once they have looked I give them till that night or next day to decide. If they are not sure that is fine and they can come and look/ride again but after that first day I will allow others to ride the horse and if they like it I will sell it even if the first rider wishes to ride it again. It may sound a bit unfair but I find that you can waste a lot of time and potential buyers for your horse while you wait for one maybe buyer to stuff around