Would you let your Horse go on Trial ?

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Nicky6065, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Nicky6065

Nicky6065 New Member

Hi I have a couple of questions:
    We are possibley selling our FIRST horse ever, who we have had for a few years, anyway I want to know should I let her go out on a Trial to perspective buyers home or let them trial at our agist centre
    (at least 15 or more horses here) if a perspective buyer wants a trial ?

Do I let them use our horses gear eg. saddle etc or their own if trial is at the agist centre?
    If our horse goes to their place do I ask for a deposit & how much $$ & how long is ok time wise, knowing I have to pay agist while she is not here .

I havent asked agist owner if they approve of perspective buyers trialing at agist centre either yet.
    I have to say I am not a very trusting person that is why I ask these Questions. Thanks

2. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Short answer, no.

3. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

Long answer - Never.

ETA - Actully that was my dumb answer....sorry *#)

I didnt see the rest of the thread on the iphone...

On the property - EACH and every horse I sell must go through the procsess of me approving the home on my property. I expect them to visit at least 2 times - an thoroughly test the animal. If they dont, I wont sell it to them.

And hence...I dont sell horses naymore any lol *#)

I would never allow a trial off the property.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  4. ILoveClydesdales

ILoveClydesdales Well-known Member

I've done it twice, first time was a total shamozzle, took 6 weeks to get my boy back from a 2 week trial. Suffice to say I was EXTREMELY leary to have another go, but next time was fine. They purchased after a week.

Get every piece of ID you can, address of where the horse is going to and maybe even check it out first. Ask for references, it's normal now days. If all checks out then you should be right, only thing I hate about it, is the chance that someone who will buy straight away, and possibly be a better home, might come up that can't because horse is on 2 week trial.

Good luck with whatever you choose :D

5. MyShadowfax

MyShadowfax Well-known Member

If its at the same property where you currently are I don't see why not...then you can still keep an eye on things and make sure they are suited.

I would rather be happy knowing who my horse was going to :)

6. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

I'm in 2 minds about this one. If I were buying I'd really appreciate a trial period - particularly if I was spending a good deal of my hard earned cash - but having let one go out on trial and virtually having to sneak into the agistment centre and steal him back, I can fully understand people's reluctance to allow a trial *#)

Maybe let them come and ride your horse a few times and perhaps even take it to the buyers instructors place or some other neutral ground so the buyer can get a feel for the horse outside of it's comfort zone.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2011
  7. Anna E

Anna E Guest

I have done it twice, and had no problems. You can purchase trial agreement contracts which set terms out very clearly. I also took photos the day the horse left my property, and the person trialling was clear that they stood liable for all vet fees etc should anything untoward occur.
    The horse was insured, so I had to clear the trial with the insurance company.
    BUT - I did it because the horse involved was a "difficult" sell. Although a great horse, the personality etc meant he wasn't for everyone. Also I live in Narrogin so trialling from the property was harder as both potential buyers were from a long way away. Allowing the trial also showed my faith in the horse I was selling.
    The second trial bought him.

8. Nicky6065

Nicky6065 New Member

I also understand people like to take horses out to see how they handle places eg pony club .
    should I let that happen ?
    we dont compete that much so chances of us doing a comp & letting them come and see her there might be rare.
    I thought if I checkout their place & asked for references & asked for a hefty deposit it might be ok to trial.
    then they can could get a good feel to the horse & can always go check on her.

9. MyShadowfax

MyShadowfax Well-known Member

You could always say that the buyer could take the horse for an outing - as long as you could accompany :)

10. Roskyle Mr GingerbreadMan

Roskyle Mr GingerbreadMan Well-known Member

I let my pony out for a trial last year when I was selling him.. Never again :mad:

He was gone for about 10 days and came back very head shy from having the bridle ripped out with the bit damaging his teeth and the poor thing been scared every time I would go to take the bridle out, which then became a problem as I was then trying to sell a childs pony that couldn't have a bridle taken off without him freaking out :( fixed that problem and eventually sold him but refused every person that asked for a trial since then! I have also heard some 'horror' stories of peoples horses who have gone on trial...

But coming from a buyers perspective, I have asked to take a horse on trial (kind of contradicting myself since I won't let my horses go on trial hahah)

I think a trial at your adgistment centre would be reasonable as you could be there to supervise or you could allow them to take the horse out to PC on the condition that you accompany them :)

ETA: If you refuse a trial you can always offer the buyers to come and ride the horse as much as they like with you been there if they are serious buyers

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  11. snoopydoo

snoopydoo Well-known Member

When I was selling the buyer suggested a good idea. She liked the pony but there was 1 question in her mind. He was in Baldivis on sand nad she lived in the hills on rock - so she wanted to guage whether his feet were going to be ok for the terraine. She paid me the full amount before he went on "trial". I had the security of the cash in my pocket on the understanding that if she thought he wouldn't be suitable within a week she would bring him back at her own expense and I would repey her the money.
    As a seller i had the security of knowing that I had the money for him should anything happen. Of course, being such a great buyer she rang a few days later and said he was staying. That's the only way I would trial off the property - get the money first!! Otherwise trial on your property would be the only way i'd do it.
    Hey, and good luck!!!

12. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

Trial where the horse is...yes:)*
    Trial away from you....no, not on your life, never, no way#(

13. cobbie

cobbie Gold Member

Never again, I gave someone the benefit of the doubt and my horse paid for it. If I was to even consider it they would have to be recommended by someone I trust and have references.

But its hard because as a purchaser you want a trial yourself, I bought my current horse without trial, I went and saw her twice before I bought her (would of gone more had she been closer) and i've never looked back

After my experience I understood why people don't let horses go on trial so it wasn't a deal breaker for me

14. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

I am happy to IF the horse is insured and IF I can get references from the prospective buyer.

The reality is that in this market you have to work a bit to sell anything other than a top class horse.

I will only allow a trial if the horse in question is for sale for more than 5k though. Otherwise it's a cheap horse so they take their chances. I follow the same rules for me buying too **)

15. springbok

springbok Well-known Member

I've heard so many horror stories but I've done it a number of times successfully. Always taken a deposit and either I know the person or they are a "friend of a friend" with good reputation. Those horses were all competitive schoolmasters who were going for significant money ie. this isn't your $500 young, uneducated horse. The buyers knew what they were getting but still wanted peace of mind that the horse would suit. Also, with older horses it's harder (but certainly still possible!) to ruin them than young horses. I'm happy to say they all went on to live long lives with their subsequent owners, one even eventing into her 20s. I never regretted letting the horses go on trial - it actually made me feel better that I knew the horse could come back should the new owners not be happy.

It depends on the horse and the situation though. I wouldn't let a young or inexperienced horse go on trial as it is easier for them to have a bad experience and for it to "stick". I'd also always pay a visit to where they are going and check the health of the rest of the horses there to make sure the home was knowledgeable. If you're looking for a quick sale, don't do it. Also, always take a deposit and write out an agreement together deciding the terms and conditions of the trial. Sometimes you can add a payment plan in here too if required and agreed to.

16. izzy2512

izzy2512 Gold Member

So hard. I wouldn't let my horse go on trial, but I wouldn't buy a horse without a trial!!

Not that I would ever sell my boy, but if I had to I would want the person to do an on property trial. This way I can make sure they're suited, and I can keep an eye out. I wouldn't want him going home with someone who I barely knew either!

17. Diana

Diana Gold Member

I once took a horse on trial - we did up a contract to sign (pretty much saying that if anything happened to the horse we'd pay for any vet/farrier/whatever bills, feed her and everything while we had her) and even though they originally weren't keen on a trial, they were 3 hours away and it would be near impossible to go down 2-3 times to keep trying the horse out. As it was, I didn't end up buying her (even though she was a gorgeous girl, lovely temperament and everything - just too green for me!) but a local lady bought her!

Probably a rare occurence though...

First preference is a trial on the property, or letting them come out as often as they like to get to know the horse & see if it's suitable.

Second preference I'd need references, pictures (or visit) of the property... And I'd do a contract. Although from what I've read I'm kinda doubting the legal binding-ness of them :p

I think at the end of the day you can do as much screening as you like, but you're selling the horse anyway and no matter how careful you are, it's impossible to completely fool-proof your horse's new home.

18. feather feet

feather feet Well-known Member

i have only ever done it once..and that was a two week trial to the mounted police..im sure they could be trusted..anyone else..NEVER

19. Sniggles

Sniggles Active Member

I do agree with this, i think if you have paper work signed (trial lease agreement) to state that if the horse gets sick or injures himself they will pay vet bills etc, and that at the end of the trial period, being it 2 weeks or 4 weeks or however long, the person trialing is to pay the price agreed upon or send the horse back in the same condition. Also would ask for references etc and take the horse to their property myself so i knew where he/she was going to be.

I would of course still be a little bit wary, we once leased our standardbred out after 4 years of owning him and putting alot of time effort and money into getting him going as great as he was and out of pacing completely, 3 beat canter, winning C grade events etc etc, we ended up getting him back 6 months later - he was skinny, had big cuts in his mouth from the bit - obviously being yanked in the mouth, he was headshy, and all the hard work i had put into him was all down the drain, he wouldnt trot, all he wanted to do was pace or gallop. All hard work gone down the drain. :mad:

But i do know of leases/trials going great as well, as i trialed a horse for 4 weeks and ended up buying him :)

20. Nicky6065

Nicky6065 New Member

All this advise has been extremely helpful so thanks everyone.