Would you consider taking on...

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Floggadog, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Shiralee

Shiralee Well-known Member

Thing is even though its a mini and its free it can still generate huge vet bills ie colic,paddock injuries etc it still needs teeth, farrier etc and gelding as unless you have your own property agisting with a stallion is very difficult and even if you have your own place, do you have mares? Horses form strong attachments but providing neither of them will be on their own if one is removed they will make friends with another.

2. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Me, if I really wanted the mare, Id be interested in seeing if there truly was a case of separation anxiety, or simply the owners tagging the pair of them with the human emotion of 'friends for life/cant be separated'.

Then, if I did really want the mare, Id take both, then geld and sell the mini. I wouldnt keep him around just because he 'came' with the mare. But thats just me! :p

I would agree with both of the above quotes. Its my suspicious personality. lol :)

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  3. Floggadog

Floggadog Guest

Gee, look what a day away from the 'puter generates.
    Thanks everyone for some interesting thoughts.
    All have been taken on board. :)
    I've not seen this mare, was only told about her a few days ago & am certainly not desperate to buy.
    I'm sure I said in the beginning these 2 have been together for 4 years & no foal has occurred - yet! & yes I'm sure it's a case of human emotion getting in the way. I also think it's a way of off-loading the little fella without any effort.
    As for bills etc - the only problem I can foresee is running a mini with TBs where the feed demands are different. A foundered pony is not one I want on my conscience.

Oh well, I might go for a drive next week & have a look with all your thoughts in mind. :)
    Thanks all!!

4. robbing'charisma

robbing'charisma Well-known Member

I wasn't sure if a mini could reach that high. But I guess if theres a will theres a way :eek: Is it possible she is infertile?

Best of luck with your choice **)

5. InkibahD

InkibahD Well-known Member

Haha i have heard of it happening the other way round... Mini mare and percheronxTB stallion (friends of ours...oops) but turned out a quite lovely little foal which only grew to about 12.3 hh or something like that, but hmm if it was me it would be a no, once horses get over the intial separation anxiety they are fine, although they do seem to get sad :(

6. Floggadog

Floggadog Guest

I've been trying to figure that one out too RC, but gave up.
    It doesn't matter (the mini being a stallion) as if he came here his testicles would be off very quickly.
    I'm going out next week for a look & maybe a ride.
    Will let you know how I go. :)

7. robbing'charisma

robbing'charisma Well-known Member

Can't wait to hear how it goes. Best of luck :))

8. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

I would ask them to take the mini out of sight and see how the mare reacts.

9. abararka

abararka Well-known Member

if i had the space i would take EVERY horse, lol. if your property can cope and your other horses can cope with a stallion and you can afford it and have the time, then bloody oath, y not?

10. Floggadog

Floggadog Guest

We do own our own land but my husband has put a limit on how many equine friends I can keep. But of course I'm looking for a suitable horse for him (and me & visiting horsey friends) & can't help it if said horse comes with a midget friend ;) :D
    I will check her reaction to being separated. Mind you it couldn't be much worse than the performance my in season mare put on a few evenings ago when I went to move the cows.

Abararka - as I said before if he comes here his stallion days will be extremely short lived ;)

11. abararka

abararka Well-known Member

lol, fair enough. do what makes you happy hun after you[ve weighed up the pro's and con's. i'm a sucker for taking on any horse that needs a home, lol. if the TB does have anxiety issues, with the right training you will be able to fix it. ;)

12. mineees

mineees Gold Member

I dont think I would take it, and you also have to make sure your fencing and gates are mini proof.I would be too worried to have my mini stallion in with a big mare,it only takes one good kick and hes out.and he surely would hassle her when shes in season,they might only be tiny but they think they are 20hands high, and does he get possesive when she in season,and is he a nice tempermented stallion. Ask Kylie about the little mini stallion some lady bought near her...Hes feral and escapes regulary.AND I sold him to the original owners.They were going to geld him but never did.now theres an unruley,feral mini stallion sold to an older person who has no horse knowledge.Man do I feel bad,now all my colts will be gelded before selling,unless going to a person known to me and is for showing/.breeding.So yes lots of questions to ask and lots of things to take note of....good luck:)

13. Floggadog

Floggadog Guest

Thanks Mineees. As said above, if he comes here he'll be cut. It would be done before xmas as our vet will be coming to bleed our rams. & as for fences, our last pony of about 10hh never escaped & our sheep can't either.

14. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Lol sorry this made me laugh. :D
    The mini that Mineees has mentioned, if you saw the fences he got thru & over...... ;)
    Not once did this neighbours stallion challenge my mares over a VERY strong & VERY good boundary fence, but twice. If they want to get out, they will (touch wood all of my mini's bar 2 are excellent with fences & the 2 bad one's are a filly & mare - the stallion of mine is a gem!!). ;)

15. Floggadog

Floggadog Guest

I guess that's the thing Remaani. He's gotta want to get out & quite frankly, there really is no point here as the nearest horse is 5kms away.
    It's not often I've seen my horses challenge 6000 volts either ;)

16. Remaani

Remaani Guest

The mini stallion i've mentioned, isn't close to where i live so can't see my own horses but if they want to get out, they try. ;)
    Have you owned a Mini stallion before? LOL, i have cut back to only 1 (had 3 at one stage) & life is sooo much more peaceful as the old boy i have is a gem.
    Lol i've found the mini's are super quick at going thru leccy fences (even the bloody strong one's that would drop ya on ya ass LOL), moreso if they have a winter coat....

Best of luck if you get your new ponies. :)

17. tazzie13

tazzie13 Active Member

i would not run just because she comes with a companion i brought a pony for my daughter and got my mini with it when i got him he was a stallion i just got him gelded and kept him for my little ones now he is worth more then the pony i originally purchased if you put the time into him he will pay of im telling you i managed to seperate the two and now he does not care who he is paddocked with just go with your gut and i hope it all works out

18. Floggadog

Floggadog Guest

Thanks Tassie.
    This morning I went out & worked with the mare. She has very little muscle & quite a high wither so even though I did ride her in the end, I only stayed on for 5 - 10 minutes as the saddle was millimetres away from her backbone.
    I took her to some sheep yards , not in sight of her little companion & she was not happy. It took maybe 20 minutes of groundwork to get her from running in a circle & taking off backwards in the direction of her mate, not to mention freaking out at the carrot stick with rope attached - to trotting in a circle & turning after being asked a couple of times. In the end she finally stopped when I asked her too & walked up to me which is what I was after. Not bad as she hasn't been handled in over 8-10 months.
    We took her back to where her mate was as that's where the saddle was, saddled her up with no probs, worked her again, asking her to change directions & stop when I took away pressure. She did all that so I hopped on.
    She was like she'd been ridden every day for the last 4 years instead of the half a dozen rides she'd encountered in the last 4 years. She was even happy to walk around a shed away from her mate without stress.
    So stage one is complete. I'm going back with a different saddle & my sister in law to push her buttons harder.
    As for the mini, nothing was said about what's to happen with him. He was taken on a few years ago as he was in very poor condition & needed proper care. Unfortunately, nothing at all has been done with him. He is an unhandled 4 year old 8-9hh stallion. Gelded & broken will make a lovely pony but the question is do I really want to be the one to do it?