Would you consider taking on...

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Floggadog, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Floggadog

Floggadog Guest

*Update*Would you consider taking on...

Would you consider taking on/buying a horse that came with it's own free paddock mate?
    In this case a TB mare lives with a mini stallion & has done so for 4 years. It's a buy one get one free offer, but it's ringing very small alarm bells in my head & would like to know your opinion.
    Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2009
  2. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

It is probably just a real easy way to get rid of the stallion at the same time. Saves them the gelding cost also, as he becomes someone elses problem!*#)

Horses will and do bond with other horses.:))

3. simbin

simbin Gold Member

Maybe not some horses can get extremely attached to one another.

One instance I can think of is when Alexander lost Cornelius and her goat fretted really badly and would not attach himself to any of the other horses.

It wasnt until Aparee her new stallion came onto the property that her goat got excited and immediately attached herself to him.

If you talk to Sue Jacobsen, a bowen therapist, who also provides herbs etc for horses with problems, she will tell you that horses do feel loss and although they will learn to deal with it, it stays with them forever.

When I had to have Roly PTS I rode Simmo out into the paddock one day a few weeks after he had been buried there and no joke when I gave him his head, he walked right up to Rolys grave, which he didnt know was there and it was in a 10/15 acre paddock. He just stood there until I eventually made him turn around and go back.

Amazing, it blew me away.

4. Floggadog

Floggadog Guest

Thanks Caroline, Yep, I figured the same. They apparently have another mini that has a ram for a paddock mate.
    I guess the little man could have a date with the vet if he seemed OK temperament wise. But theres another question, how & who breaks minis in?
    All good & well having him but he's gotta be useful!

5. Floggadog

Floggadog Guest

That is amazing Simbin. It must have been very touching to be able to share that with him.

I don't want to take on this mare & mini with the idea of just passing on the mini. I don't mind having him but can't have anymore freeloaders. Which would mean working out how to break him in.

6. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

It wouldn't bother me.
    If I really like the horse and it ticked all the boxes, I'd happily take the mare on with her companion.
    The little fella would find himself having a visit from the vet fairly quickly though. Then little by little I'd start separating
    the two for short periods while the mare gets used to her buddy being away.
    So long as the mare has other horses either in the paddock with her or in the paddock next door, she'll learn to cope :)

If the mini has a good temperament you could always harness break him. I think it would be fun to have a little one in harness :p

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2009
  7. Kiwigirl

Kiwigirl Well-known Member

Ditto for me.

If it made the settling process easier into a new home for the mare, then I would do it, and start the mare getting used to living a life without it's wee friend

8. Babe the standy ROCKS

Babe the standy ROCKS Well-known Member

At least with a mini you`re not going to have huge feed bills, like you would if the mares companion was an aged 17hh tb or something.

9. Remaani

Remaani Guest

True BUT vet bills, farrier trims, teeth trimming etc are the same as a big horse & remember mini's can & do get colic at the drop of a hat! ;)

For me no, if i wanted a horse & it came with a companion (especially a Mini stallion - run, run now!) i wouldn't go for it. But that all depends whether the companion is useful in some shape or form.

Why can't they sell the stallion (if it's decent/well bred etc)? And why would you even run a TB mare with a Mini stallion, stranger things (& foals) HAVE happened! :eek:

10. Pepsea

Pepsea Gold Member

alarm bells would ring for me...

seperation anxiety???? for either fo them, TB might go nts without it, mini might go nuts every time u take Tb away

not worth the extra costs!!

11. paula223

paula223 Gold Member

Just what was about to say :)
    Seperation anxiety is just not worth the hassle,had a gelding like this and i swear it was more hard work than it was worth!!! just IMO

12. Babe the standy ROCKS

Babe the standy ROCKS Well-known Member

Yes, so very true Remaani, the bills are the same for big and little horses. Even the rugs are about the same prices!
    I`d be worried about there being a separation anxiety issue with the mare and mini.

13. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Short answer: No

Long answer: I have enough horses and so don't need to have a companion horse for a new one. I would also be wondering why the mare can't go without the stallion... and if the mare runs with a stallion (albeit a little one) can you guarantee that the mare isn't pregnant?

14. mzgtr

mzgtr Well-known Member

In the racing industry is very well known that if a race horse is extremely bad without company meaning even taking it out anywhere it is always taken everywhere with a mini or a shetland.

15. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Mzgtr, the racing companion ponies are generally not stallions. They are also usually worth their weight in gold so it is unlikely that you would get given the pony with the big horse :D

My pony comes to shows with my youngsters for their first time - or on the float with them for their first ride. But they also have to learn to cope without him :)

16. mzgtr

mzgtr Well-known Member

So maybe the person who got the ex race horse had trouble with the horse being lefted alone so got it a mini stallion. Or they had a mini stallion already.

17. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Mzgtr, possibly but anyone who leaves a stallion with a mare regardless of the size of the stallion really needs to get out of horses all together. Unless of course they are doing it deliberately to get a foal.

If you want to get rid of both, why do they have to go together? Unless they are just offering the extra horse not saying you have to take both if you want one. :)

18. himitsu

himitsu Well-known Member

i wouldnt accept anything that came with a free mini or a free stallion, let alone both together!

19. mzgtr

mzgtr Well-known Member

If I was looking at the horse. The horse tied up out of sight from the mini and was ridden out of sight from the mini, and it did not act up. I would just take the TB.

Sorry I did not relise the TB was a mare.

20. himitsu

himitsu Well-known Member

plenty of TB mares out there that dont have an unwanted mini attached to them!