Would just like to pass this on

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by GeeJay, Apr 17, 2008.

1. GeeJay

GeeJay Guest

This is in relation to the Maggots in wound Thread:(
    pass on my disappointment on how it ended and now in other post the nit picking is still going on and I suspect on the PM system as well:(
    We all go by what we have experienced and basically try to help.
    My only concern was the time the bandages had been left on this horse, which is fair enough in my eyes.
    But the whole thing ended in a Bitch fight:( and in the end I felt sorry for xr8ute, I bet she wishes now that she never even bothered.
    I now I feel the same I have worked with horses for a very long time I have also helped a lot of people with there own horses, even Lena when Sugar injured herself a long time ago, even Sparrow who was once a member of this forum when his horse got horrific wounds from getting trapped in a cattle grid, even traveled in terrible weather to help a person’s sick horse and I could keep going but wouldn’t want to bore you.
    I am not great with words what I say is what I have experienced and like everyone we never stop learning, if we say we know it all its time to give up as this is impossible.
    In my time honey was something you put on your toast, now obviously it has far better uses, which is excellent and if it works then that is even better. I have come from the old school and what I was shown worked the same with great results but I am happy to learn new things.
    We once had a Colt sent to us for starting, when it arrived it had put both hind legs through float floor, one injury to the front of the fetlock was to the bone, as this horse had very little handling and was very eager to kick you in the head, the only way I good deal with him was to use high pressure hose everyday shock horror I hear you say, but I value my life.
    It took 2 weeks to cover the bone and another 2 weeks to fill completely. This horse ended up with hardley a scare and know ill effects, it even stopped kicking LOL.
    In future I will have nothing more to comment, as I feel it far better not to do so and as you only get bagged one way or another sad really but it’s the way of the horse world these days.
    Kind Regards GeeJay horsehandlers:)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2008
  2. Paint8

Paint8 Well-known Member

Well said GeeJay.. :)

3. KDS

KDS Well-known Member

Didnt read the other thread but all i have to say is that i think people under estimate horses and nature in general.

4. safs_mum

safs_mum Well-known Member

I really enjoy your contributions. :)
    I agree that it is sad the way some threads turn out, with everyone trying to one up each other etc :( Its why I don't really offer much advice or state my opinions often. I tend to just stick to "Wow nice horse" or whatever now....

5. sambo

sambo Well-known Member

This is not just aimed at the op either!

You "oldies" need to suck it up a little. Yes people don't agree on everything, thats what makes us... well, us. Everyone has a different way and that is ok. If you are happy doing what you are doing then why be so defensive. We are all here to learn and NO-ONE is beyond that. That happens when and if you go to heaven!! lol.

How the hell do the world leaders keep all the fights under control, when people here can't even keep it together, about fairly trivial matters. Grow up and set a better example to the younger ones on here. It's not all about you, you know.*#)

6. GeeJay

GeeJay Guest

Thanks for you PM Sambo:)

7. biscay

biscay Well-known Member

Have to agree here, I personally am sick of the fact I am too worried to even post a reply because everyone gets their backs up.

The fact of the matter is, that many people of been handling many horses of all different shapes and sizes, and all in different handling ways.

When someone posts asking for opinions and experiences, then post yours.... BUT for crying out loud, do not put up your ideas, but bag out someone elses. What works for one might not work for another, but it doesnt mean its not right. This way, the poster that asked the question, can read through what is put up, and can take the bits and peices of information from it that they feel relevent, and what they feel can help them.

Sigh... this forum isnt here to see who does things better, its to help each other.

8. Jonsie

Jonsie Well-known Member

HERE HERE BISCAY!!!!!!! I totally and utterly agree! thank you for putting it so well!!!

9. sambo

sambo Well-known Member

Not a problem!!:)

10. Marianne

Marianne Gold Member

GeeJay, I can only speak for myself but I value your opinion and advice greatly and will be very sad to miss out on these in the future. I hope you reconsider.:(

I must agree that recently it seems there is a lot of oneupmanship going on. Biscay put it well in that if you have an experience to share we should feel comfortable to share it. It is not upto someone else to write it off and make that person feel irrelavent. If you've not got anything productive and positive to add don't put anything at all.;)

11. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

I couldn’t care less if someone doesn’t agree with my advice, its only advice after all and if someone else then wants to pick apart my advice, well if there picking on me there leaving someone else alone.

I do bite my tongue; or rather restrain my fingers quite a lot.

If I said what I truly felt on some of the issues raised on this forum I would be chased out of the Stockies village by Mod's wielding pitch forks lol.

I get your point GJ and you see so much personal axe grinding and down right shite stirring.

But it’s the same where ever you go, we would all like to think that we are better, should be better, can be better, but at the end of the day, there are those people with a generous spirit who will live and let live, then there are those who just cant help but to sink the boot in and don’t care who is watching.

The Mod’s are here to sort the shite from the rest. They do it well; I am not going to worry about it.

12. GeeJay

GeeJay Guest

We are meant to be older and wiser and set an example:( couldn’t be more further from the truth,

We all bite our tongue and stick up our fingers and from my bashings in the past its better to do that, if you are not happy with something don’t speak your mind.

Better to say oh how nice, well done, be careful and IMO BUT best not give that as I might offend someone.

At the end of the day it is learning to manage our horses in the most thoughtful,cost effective and safe way.

What goes through my mind often with ummmm is the 3 musketeers not all for one and all, its all for one:)

Janet :)

13. Oldhack77

Oldhack77 Gold Member

Janet it would be a very very sad day on stockies if your advice was not posted......

14. Saiorse

Saiorse Well-known Member

Janet, don't be disuaded from participating fully here by a handful of individuals who have the option to post anonymously on a forum on which you post honestly, as yourself.

Offline you would not even have those individuals as aquaintances, but as you've entered the "other-world", the forum, you've taken many risks. In polite society people do not a) seek to contradict you b) seek to point out your faults or even c) express their difference of opinion so curtley as they do online. Such has been the evolution of the "forum poster." In many cases the poster doesn't even hide behind the user name any more and gladly insult people openly as some kind of demented internet persona.

As long as you are not getting the twisted PM's I sometimes get from the mentally-ill amongst our little community, you are an online success with a lot of admirers and honest individuals willing to read what you have to write.

Keep your head high. It's only the internet, an illusion... If only we used it's powers for good, LOL.

XJ

P.S. It helps to imagine sending love to those who most trouble you. Sociopaths need all the love they can get...

15. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

Hi all. I read through a lot of the threads on this forum fairly regularly, but have never felt need to make any comments of my own. WELL NOT THIS TIME. This time I'm chipping in with my 2 cents worth.
    I'd like to say a big thankyou to GeeJay, Sharaway, KC (and all you others), who have posted advise on healing some wounds that can only be described as horrific. True, many of you have used vastly differing methods but that doesn't make anyone's choice right or wrong. What you post on here is OFFERED AS ADVICE and (the way I read it) is offered to allow stockies CHOICES if, heaven forbid, we are ever confronted with a similar situation.
    Vetinary advise is never to be discouraged, but anything else that may be suggested to compliment that treatment, is always welcome in my book.
    So please, Geejay (and everyone else) please don't stop posting as these discussions allow me, as a caring owner (who freely admits she doesn't know it all) to make the most informed decision I can in caring for MY BEST MATE.
    No-one knows it all. Not matter who we are, there will always come a time when we may need to ask someone elses opinion and I for one, will never be afraid to take that step.

16. proud mum

proud mum Well-known Member

I too must say that reading alot of the negative feed back from people in regards to posts about injury suffered by peoples beloved horses has been the reason that I have never put up a thread about our boys recovery process after a horrific injury he has been recovering from.
    We as owners going through the emotional roller coaster of, for one seeing our beloved horse going through what they are going through is hard enough and then there is the hope that the advice and guidance from the vet is going to be the right treatment and then the wait game, how bad it gets before it gets better,is there going to be permanant problems, how do I know when it is time to let him go.
    All wounds are different, all horses are different and vets have different ideas. Our vet has been wonderfull and when the healing process stalled even consultated with another vet to see what sucess he might have had with the same sort of injury.But unfortunatley even though you know you are doing the right thing when people start being negative in regards to things you are doing it can really destroy your confidence .

17. Roe

Roe Banned

I have to say that I like to hear what everyone has to say. If you think something is wrong or right speak up and let us know. The forum is for learning and some people are very knowledgable.

Healthy debate is good but everyone needs to try and not make it personal or take it personal. I am sure no one intends for it to be like that and no one likes an arguement.

I know myself I have made a few statements that people question oh and I have had a few nasty pm.

In the long run Janet I think you have a wealth of information so please keep sharing it with us!!!

18. ilikehorsesdou

ilikehorsesdou Well-known Member

I know how you feel GJ as it seem every time i open my mouth on here someone is like OMG you cant do that OR you wrote MARE instead of MARES

Iv got to the stage now that i read and if i think is a ok thread i will write on it but if it look like it going to come back and bit me in the bum like the LUCERNE thread or the STALLION thread thread or even the HELMET thread im not going to write on it any more

Like what been said everyone has there own ways of doing things and my way may be i little different but hey it works and i never had any problems with it and if i do i will chance

I may only be 30 but iv had a few good horse ppl teach me what i know well most of it lol

I was told about this place as being a great place and very freindly but lately it seem total different dont know if it the weather or what but a lot of ppl i speak to say the same thing its a same because it place can be a really nice place to winde down after a hard day at work

I hope it gose back to this way again soon

19. abararka

abararka Well-known Member

well said geejay. i agree 100%

20. Delrae

Delrae Gold Member

I have to agree also Geejay.. a lot of people post on here their experiences, whether it be horrific accidents, floating problems or whatever and it is good if others find the post informative or just plain interesting that is what it is all about but if some dont like it just go out of it and leave alone.
    Healthy debate is good and I know I sometimes end up agreeing to both sides because both have valid points but dont let it degress (sp) down into name calling and nasty stuff and I dont think age has anything to do with it either....I reckon if you feel like your getting angry about a particular post whether you are grey haired or baby blue eyed go then and read the funnies thread instead :D :p

I love the information that can be found here and also enjoy some of the discussions.. one thing I know that on Teej's thread someone mentioned about Solarsite on his wound, which I mentioned to his vet who in turn chased it up through their pharmacy and it was then used with success on his neck.. a huge big **) **) purely from stockies!!

So please Geejay, keep posting cos a lot of us hear you ....