Worried sick!

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by Jasmine, Nov 25, 2004.

1. Jasmine

Jasmine Guest

Hey everyone,I went over to my horses paddock today and we didnt have time to stay there long so we just gave em a check and feed and water.I was picking up his hooves to check them and when i got to his back leg he wouldn't pick it up,so i kinda erged him on,and then i knoew something was wrong,and then he flicked up his back leg and it made a huge crack.and then he put it down,and i yelled for my friend and at first she thought it was a broken leg but he wouldn't bend it and he was dragging it,I was so scard,I just gave him a cuddle and i neally started crying,coz the first thing that comes to my mind is the bad things...So 2moro im hopefully gettin a vet out,I would of stabled him but i dont have a stable.So we will c what happens.I'll keep u updated.

Jasmine

2. izzy2512

izzy2512 Gold Member

oh no jasmine, i'lltalk 2 u bout it on msn later 2nite. don't worry, he's a tough horse he'll make it. just keep him warm and get the vet in asap

xoxoxo

3. Zahira

Zahira Well-known Member

I'm sorry but if you think your horse has a broken leg and/or in obvious pain common sense says get a vet out ASAP. They do after hour call outs you know....

4. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe New Member

Too bad some people dont have any common sense though.

It sounds to me like his stifle or hip has locked up. If a horse had a broken leg it'd be in agony and not moving around at all.

Get the vet out NOW to make sure though. Tomorrow could be too late.

I do not love the sword for its brightness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend

5. horsegirl

horsegirl Well-known Member

Jasmine, Im sorry but if you believe your horse has a broken leg or even unwell or injuried in any way that you yourself cannot deal with, it is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY as the owner to GET THE VET OUT NOW!! How would you like to be sick or injured and not be attended too?? A little common sense here would go a long way. I can't believe you have had time to put this post up on a public forum and yet not had time to attend to your horses injuries!! Some people really do, do my head in!!!

6. widgelli

widgelli Well-known Member

I cannot believe that you would or could leave your horse there in the paddock in that condition. He would be feeling pain , regardless as to whether he could walk or not. If he has a locked stifle , it would still be painful.
    If you have strained anything at all , or locked a joint , you would know that it darned well hurts. I do from experience.
    Calling the vet tomorrow is no good. It has to be done straight away. If as you say it is broken , he should be seen to immediately.

Jo

7. widgelli

Do some of you really know what you are doing with horses?

Jo

8. Pepsea

Pepsea Gold Member

i agree with getting the ver out asap.. i got up to the paddok to prep my boy for a show on a sat. i was undoing his legstaps and i knew something wasnt rite, i open the flabby skin between his back legs.. and there was a big open gash.. so i called the vet and it was a sat $275 and two weeks later it's healing, i did no know what he done it on and i could really get into it to clean it and did not have any experience with cuts so i called the vet was expencive but im glad i did call him, he have him his tetnus shots, some other shots and was on bute and penocilin for a few days. pepper would of been in more pain than he was if he was not attended to by the vet.

if you do not know whats wrong with your horse, PLEASE get the vet asap who cares of the costs it could save yuor horse from going trhough a lot of pain!

<center><font color=green> Emma, Pepper, Saxon

9. Jasmine

Jasmine Guest

O dw,its nuthin,but thanks to most of u's who saids the nice things.

Jasmine

10. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe New Member

So you got a vet out? Or did it "magically" cure itself...

I do not love the sword for its brightness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend

11. echo

echo Well-known Member

Hmm Jazi, I dont know how you could say it was nothing? If anything he could have made it worse last night when you didnt get the vet out and he may not be showing it. I remember when i pulled a muscle in my leg, couldnt even walk properly. Hows a poor horse supposed to get to food and water?

Mel, Echo & Hamish

12. Jasmine

Jasmine Guest

Yes,i got a vet out,he just said that it may be caused my old injury.And if u leave him for 3-5 days he should get betta.and just not to ride him for a while and start of at little riding.

Jasmine

13. alex

alex Well-known Member

come on guys... we all make mistakes... give her a rest!
    some people may be under financial stress or late for something really important! a family meber could be in hospital etc. if she hadnt even gone to feed her horses that would be worse! at least she bothered to!

Forgive and forget!

Alex

~*~A horse is only as good as its rider~*~

14. eventer chick

eventer chick New Member

No way! No matter whats going on if it sounded as serious as first described everything should be dropped to help the horse. What if it actually had a broken leg and spent the entire night in a paddock in agony?

15. alex

alex Well-known Member

well it didnt so no harm done! it was fine.. the vet said just to leave it. she got the vet the next day and the horse was fine...

~*~A horse is only as good as its rider~*~

16. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe New Member

If you thought your horse has a broken leg would you let it sit in the paddock until you felt like getting a vet out?
    It's irresponsible and almost downright cruel.

You're lucky it turned out to be nothing Jasmine. Learn to use some common sense when it comes to your horse.

17. widgelli

Cabmaster , you may not like some of what has been said on this post. However , how are people supposed to learn if others dont point out a major mistake.
    Are you one of these sorts of people who would leave your horse in the paddock in pain , to go off and do something that to you was more important ?
    Nothing , and I mean nothing is more important than attending to a horse that is injured.
    If you cant do it yourself for whatever reason , you delegate to some one else who will help out at the time, to call the vet and be there for the horse.
    We as people can ask for help in the event of trouble , but a horse has to rely on his owner and the one who he most relies on to help when he is hurt.
    Too many people have this attitude that an animal can wait when they need help and that is why there are so many ill and distressed animals around.
    Talk about mans inhumanity to man , mans inhumanity to animals is absolutely disgusting in a lot of instances , and these people should not have horses or any other animals in their keeping.

Jo

18. Cavalier

Cavalier Well-known Member

Well said Jo!

And Jasmine you can't just go around thanking people who write the things you want to hear...as Jo said, you need to have major mistakes pointed out to you.

Don't be offended when people correct you...learn to take criticisim when it is obviously needed!

~ You're either making dust, or eating it ~

19. Busta

Busta New Member

~My Busty Boy ROX~

20. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Stop it! Thats a horrible thing to say! I definently agree she should of gotten the vet out RIGHT AWAY! the poor horse could of had a broken leg. How would you like to have a broken leg and gotta walk on it all day until someone finally decided to get you checked? Hu? No-one was being nasty they were thinking in the best interest of the horse!...

Sarah

~All time is wasted what is not spent with horses.~