Worried about my horse..

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by iheartdash, Sep 24, 2008.

1. iheartdash

iheartdash New Member

Today when i got Dash out of the paddock i noticed that he had a fairly big quantity of white-ish discharge coming from his nose, he has been off his feed for the past 2 nights and has had pretty bad diarrohea for the past week (thats clearing up now). He dosnt feel right to ride and is very sluggish. Im not sure what it could be? I was thinking the diarrohea was from the new grass shoots in his paddock and the new roll of paddock hay we just got on the weekend. Any ideas on what might be the problem? Do i need the vet?
    thanks!

2. cobbie

cobbie Gold Member

Has this come on after being at the SEC Kat?

I know of quite a few horses who have been unwell or shown 'off' symptoms after being in the stables there, may have picked something up (He was licking the stable a lot to get to Tommies feed hehe)

3. RPS

RPS Well-known Member

I certainly wouldn't be riding him and i'd be calling a vet for their opinion ASAP.

4. iheartdash

iheartdash New Member

Yeh he hasn't been right since brigadoon, lol yeh he did lick the walls alot so i how he didnt pick up some nasties from there!

5. cobbie

cobbie Gold Member

Hoolie was of his feed another time he was in the stables there and was a bit lousy after etc so i'd say he's picked something up, call the vet for advice and see what they suggest, in the mean time don't ride him and encourage him to drink lots and try get him to eat, I am sure he will be fine, poor dashy :)

6. iheartdash

iheartdash New Member

Yeah il call the vet first thing tomorow, but the strange thing is that he was fine at pony club on sunday! I might just give him some time off and see what the vet says.

7. simbin

simbin Gold Member

Goodness me sounds like the EFA have to put some common sense hygiene practices into place.

You'd think after the EI scare that they would be more diligent.

The stables obviously need a good clean and disinfect.

I never let diarrohea go more than 2 days without asking a vet for their opinion and with that discharge I'd be calling someone ASAP.

8. iheartdash

iheartdash New Member

Dash always gets a bit of diarrohea when hes out at a show or pony club because he gets really nervous, and that mixed with new grass etc could be causing that. Will def. call vet tomorow tho

9. pso

pso Gold Member

yup...Unfortunately, that aint free, and if people actually considered leaving their sick horses at home...then maybe it wouldnt be necessary?...the stables are cleaner than they used to be IMO...:p

10. RPS

RPS Well-known Member

Ah yes but the same goes for lame horses !! How many of them do you see out and about at competitions? As much as they aren't contagious, common sense should rule.

11. Horsetalk

Horsetalk Well-known Member

Yes, that sounds right. No riding and see what the vet says. **) :)

12. CC

CC Well-known Member

Yupp lest time my boy was at the SEC he got very sick and was at the vets for 5 days.

Have you taken his temp??

13. RPS

RPS Well-known Member

Interesting that we are made to fill out bio security forms still but what guarantee do we have that the venue is up to standard, or all the required precautions are taken.

Just another headache and cost for organisers and in the end competitors.

14. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

rahni was slow the day after brigadoon. but now is feral again :) especially seeing as he is on 2 weeks spell after threowing me :(

but ummm poor dash :(

i would call the vet for advice too :) good thinking ...

i would take his temp too then you can tell the vet :)

we... meaning freya... disenfects the stables at the sec for me :p i am sooo lazy. lol

15. caitie

caitie Well-known Member

AWW poor dash!!!

Prob get a vet out**) ... damn horses

hehe yeh yeh blame it on tommie, it was dash trying to get his food :p
    Tommie has been sluggish too since being at SEC... but he always is so he prob fine :D

16. misskel

misskel Well-known Member

I haven't shown at the SEC for years but if I were to, or stay overnight at anyones place I would take my own disinfectent and give the stable a once over before I went anywhere near it with my horse. I plan on showing Barbie and Elmo pretty extensively next year and I'll be making sure I do it at all overnight shows.

Call me anal, but I call me carefullllll:)*

17. HorseSlave

HorseSlave Well-known Member

For those people who disinfect stables, what do you use?

18. wormwatch

wormwatch Active Member

How do you disinfect the floor?

19. iheartdash

iheartdash New Member

Just to let you all know Dash is feeling alot better now! I called the vet and he just recommened a break from work and some pro-biotics in his feed to help with the diarrohea. He's looking alot brighter now which is great! Thanks for all your help and suggestions :)

20. Oldhack77

Oldhack77 Gold Member

Interesting..... what do you use? Normal disinfectant???? Might give Dud's stable at the Royal a once over or is that ott? Dont want him picking up something as he has HOTY in 4 weeks