Worms, worming, wormers

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by needanswers, May 25, 2011.

1. needanswers

needanswers Well-known Member

Tell me about any experience you have had where a horse was not treated for worms and was showing signs of having worms.

2. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

When I was a youngster...about 12...our family pony got severe colic. We had a pacing stable, so racehorses were regularly wormed, but the pony wasn't really considered. He colic'd for days, and it got to the point that the Vet said he'd have to be PTS the coming weekend. My grandpa gave him a bushman's colic drench and tossed in a wormer as well....and the amount of worms that came out of poor old Smokey :eek:#(

I am now super-paranoid about worming our horses!! Something so simple, so cheap....can save a lot of heartache!

3. needanswers

needanswers Well-known Member

Wattle I love your dedication. I also believe prevention is better than a cure, especially at the low cost of wormers!!

4. kp

kp Well-known Member

Sent some broodmares to a stud to foal down. Foals came back just before weaning. We had paid $22 for foal worming on the bills on a regular basis. They had pottie bellies. So I weaned them and wormed them at the same time. To find one the foals down with colic and was refluxing. The diagnosis impaction colic due to worms.

5. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

Bought Buckley as a skinny 3yr old full of worms :( He had a shit coat, pot belly, and generally looked sick. Amazing what a worming regime can do (oh and some feed).

6. kp

kp Well-known Member

I've always found feeding to be really helpful!!!!!!! Amazes me how little some people think a horse needs to be fed.

7. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

yes.... 2 horses in paddock, 1 feed given out... poor Buckley was underdog so got none :(