Worms in horses eyes

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by blowin in the wind, Jun 27, 2009.

1. blowin in the wind

blowin in the wind New Member

I just bought an 18 month old filly, and saw that she has some worms in her eyes... Was wondering if anyone has had experience with this and what is some different treatments. She will be getting a good worming, but not sure if this will cover the eye factor... cheers

2. deschuur

deschuur Gold Member

I personally have not heard of worms in an eye. Maggots yes but worm :eek:

Can you provide some more information?

What do the worm look like?
    Is there and infection in the eye?

3. beagle

beagle Well-known Member

as said by deschuur.no worms live in horses eyes,but she may have maggots in the corner if there is an infection that has not been treated.they look small fat for their size,& worm around.yuck.
    just be sure there is no eye infection & if so then vet required.

4. Shenalar

Shenalar Well-known Member

This may be a really silly question, but how experienced are you with horses?
    Have you ever had a really good look at a horses eye before?

The pupilly part kinda looks like a wormy type thing - could it be this that you have seen?

Gosh I am not good with the terminology am I lol

5. samm

samm Gold Member

Could be onchocerca which is caused by a microfilaria worm.
    Dosing with Ivermectin will get rid of them.

6. blowin in the wind

They are small thin worms in the eyes. I have had a lifetimes experience with horses, many of them, and Ive yet to see worms in their eyes.. Although I have heard of this in the past. I googled it before, and worms in the eyes sure do exist, there were a few examples of treatments, Im now wanting to hear from people that have encountered this issue, and what they did to treat it.. I want to be well informed before I treat so they are eradicated first time.

7. I am afraid you better get a vet out to your horse if you are sure there are thin worms in its eyes. Asking questions on here won't give you a 100% correct answer. You have to know why worms are there, what's the course of worm infestation in the eye, and then treat it accordingly.
    lena

8. dirtbug

dirtbug Gold Member

Anything to do with eyes should be taken up with a veterinarian...

as it would be a safe bet they are the most experianced in that area...

9. sparkie

sparkie Well-known Member

wow...nver really accured to me about worms in the eyes...i will most certainly look on for the response needed here very interested...? but surely normal worming paste would cover it wouldnt it being in the blood stream and all....hmmm...have you had a chat to a vet...? or do they charge for that where you are?

10. beagle

beagle Well-known Member

ok blowin (hmm??) in my experience of vet for 17 yrs,owning & being around horses for over 20 yrs,never seen or heard of worms in the anterior chamber of the eye.you do know that part of the eye? as adverse to "worms" being present within the conjunctiva/eye sac?
    no samm,onchacerca doesn't occur in the anterior chamber as even the larval entity cannot get in there.good thinking though.
    i would say,get vet out as you haven't specified WHERE in the eye they are - as in,anterior chamber vs conjunctiva!

11. samm

samm Gold Member

Beagle where in the OP post does it state anterior chamber???

12. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

yes there is a nasty worm that like horses eyes...sorry I dont know much about them..apart from one of my horses had them when she was young { way before I got her } and now she has weapy eyes most of the time #(

good luck & Cheers
    Lee

13. Ghost

Ghost Banned

is this the corner of the eye or the eyeball itself?

if its the corner of the eye its likely to be haebronema, vet attention needed on a regular basis to physically dig them out, unless something new has come up since I last dealt with it

14. beagle

beagle Well-known Member

that's my point samm - if OP doesn't know what anterior chamber is,they cannot say that worms are "in the eye".
    Far more common to have worms in conjunctiva not actually in eye itself!
    to get into the anterior chamber of the eye,very very small molecular weight required so whilst i don't dispute the "worms in the eye" tihng,they need to be working out if the worms are really in the eye sac.:)

15. blowin in the wind

We only got her today, she has never been handled, have to say she was a real gem to teach to lead etc, it was my partner that spotted them first, he was just rubbing her around the eyes when he saw them, when he told me I thought he was just seeing things. Pulling her eyelid down you can see them in the white, just under the surface, but one seemed to disappear under the black. By this time it was getting to the dusk part of the arvo, so will have a better look tomorrow. Her eyes are not weeping or watering, does not seem to affect her at all. Other discussions Ive been on have also suggested ivermectin, I was thinking I will just do this anyway and see what happens. I finally just got onto our local vet and he has agreed, a good worm, and just watch what happens in the next 2 weeks.

16. Good Luck
    Keep us informed, please!
    lena

17. beagle

beagle Well-known Member

so in the sclera then? ok,might be onchocerca,but good luck getting rid of it whilst under scleral membrane.if on surface,then yes,should be ok.
    why am i so argumentative? ask some-one who cares!
    firkin endo....;)

18. blowin in the wind

So Beagle, worms in horses eyes seem to exist now? As an experienced vet that knows so much about the anatomy of the horses eye, I would have thought you should have known this straight up. Didnt come here for arguments, just good simple help, not hinderance.... Thanks to those with nice simple input.

19. beagle

beagle Well-known Member

aaah blowin nice to have you blowin back.
    my point is simple - either the worms are "in the eye" which thus requires them to be in the anterior chamber,or they are in the area of the sclera or conjunctivia.don't call me out without some knowledge behind you.know your anatomy.know when you get given professional advice.

20. Hi blowin in the wind:)
    you've asked a question and got an answer...
    may be you should've been more specific, we are lucky that there are pro vets here who bother to answer questions at all. They don't get paid for it, you know;)
    lena:D