Worming

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by jgs, Apr 9, 2011.

1. jgs

jgs New Member

I having read an article on worming which suggests having manure tested for worms and if worms present then give them treatment rather that just worm regularly Wondering if anyone follows this regime and if so how much does the vet charge, and how effective ?

2. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

3. Leti loves Elmo

Leti loves Elmo Well-known Member

Why? Its so easy just popping a $12 wormer in them every 2-3 months.

4. whitepantheress

whitepantheress Well-known Member

Ours charges $20, you just take in fresh poop :)

5. Maree4

Maree4 Gold Member

I know its a little more expensive but I had a blood test done for another reason, and it showed no worm burden. I worm 6 -8 weekly rotating between Equamax and Stratagey. ;)
    A poo test is a cheaper option, but I have never had one done.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  6. wormwatch

wormwatch Active Member

I do a worm egg count testing, but only for WA horses at the moment. There are other labs around and I'd be happy to pass on the details of someone closer or cheaper if that helps.

The egg counts give you useful information, but only when the egg count is done at the right time and the results are interpreted carefully. It's a good idea to discuss the egg count test result and your worming plan with your vet - they understand the specifics of your horse, it's management and your property much better than a person looking down a microscope or at the other end of a phone or computer.

Why would you bother doing a worm egg count when you can use a $12 wormer every 2-3 months? That's actually a good question. Some of the wormers are no longer effective against the types of worms we commonly see in horses in southern Australia (including Perth). Without testing, you have no idea how well your worming programme is currently working. You can also use worm egg count test results to develop a worming plan that uses treatments effectively and sustainably, and this helps to prolong the time that the treatments currently available remain effective against the worms infecting horses on your property.

Maree - I'm glad to hear that you got some good blood test results back for your horse. I'd be interested to know what blood tests are being used by your vet to assess worm burdens. Horses with heavy worm burdens can have low protein levels in their blood and an increase in some inflammatory blood cells, but there are a number of causes (apart from worms) that can cause low protein levels and elevated inflammatory cell numbers in blood, and not all horses with a heavy worm burden will have low protein levels or high inflammatory cell numbers in their blood. There is a test available in the UK that tests for antibodies to tapeworms, but it's not being widely used any more. We think this is because tapeworm treatments are so cheap and widely available, but it would be helpful to be able to access a test to monitor the effectiveness of our tapeworm control programmes. Another lab and I have both been unsuccessful in being able to get in contact the developers of the test to try to bring it to Australia. If your vet has access to the tapeworm test, I'd love to speak to them and get some details.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  7. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

Exactly !

well said wormwatch **)**)

cheers
    Lee