Worming??

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Pockets, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Pockets

Pockets Gold Member

I wormed the ponies this morning and the stupid locking mechanism on the wormer didn't lock so the whole tube shot down the shetties throat!!! Should I be panicking???? He got 700 instead of 250!!!

2. Rayes

Rayes New Member

I wouldn't be...have been told by many people that horses can't overdose on worming paste...and I myself have sometimes given too much in the past (though probably not by as much).

Maybe just keep an eye on the pony - and expect really runny manure patties in the paddock!

Regards,
    Rayes

3. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

Pockets someones mini got a whole tube and it made the mini very sick indeed but it did pull through.

I would be calling to vet out to do a gastric levage but the vet in the above case didn't worry about doing anything just waited for nature to heal.

4. Tallarook

Tallarook Well-known Member

I worm all my horses with a whole tube each. i have ponies, galloways and a few bigger ones. If i have a foal i will give half.

5. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

It shouldn't matter on a "normal" size horse or pony...it can cause some ill effects on foals and minis....depending on which wormer:(

6. Que Sera Sera

Que Sera Sera Well-known Member

We gave an old boy too much and he was off colour for a few days. He had cushings and was underweight so that was probably the main factor in his reaction. When he was healthy he got full doses without any problems.

I would say if they are fairly healthy then I would just wait and see. I would call the vet and see what they suggest.

7. rimes

rimes Well-known Member

I did this recently with my donkey, same thing locking bit didn't work and he was fine, although I did keep an eye on him for a few days - just incase.
    My pony was happy as she missed out as I only had the one tube :)

8. Rivvy

Rivvy Active Member

I did exactly the same thing the other day, a pony got a whole tube because the locking device didnt work , he was fine.

9. GoWelshCobs

GoWelshCobs Well-known Member

you cant overdose on wormers that is what i was told by some one from equimax call them if you are concerned i have always given a whole wormer on all my horses,

usually if they react it is coz they have worms

10. KLP

KLP Guest

Quick question (sorry to hijack)

If a horse were to have serious worms, would it be ok to worm them more then often for a couple of weeks, say once a week??

11. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

not a good idea to overdose. It's better to give hte right dose for the weight so it's work getting a weight tape. But yes it is a good idea to repeat worm. I think it is in a fortnight.