Worming Reluctant Horse

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Angimac, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Angimac

Angimac Well-known Member

About two weeks ago Elvis was due to have his tetanus/strangles booster and I left my Stepdad to do the injection as I was getting ready to leave. I showed him were to put the injection in Elvis's. When we got home it was dark just thought Elvis was blinded by the headlights so he was walking slow.
    The next morning my Stepdad rushes back to the house for me to ring the vet, Elvis isnt too good. I asked him 6 times where he had injected Elvis "In the bottom part of the neck" was his reply. It took about 15 minutes of Elvis turning away from me for me to get a halter on him even with a carrot.

I could not see any swelling on either side of his neck and was just about to go ring the vet when I found swelling on his near side shoulder right in the middle where the leg and shoulder bones and muscles all connect.

I rang the vet and he came out and checked Elvis out, he said he was in a lot of pain and his heart rate was 40 bpm and gave Elvis painkillers and antibiotics (left extras for 7 days).

Finally my question, he doesnt like being tied up let alone have anything syringe shaped near him (I am slowly working on this) and I want to worm him, would you do a feed or molassis water etc.

Sorry its so long.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  2. Crafty

Crafty Well-known Member

Our mare Jazz is a pain to worm orally so I get an apple and an apple corer take most the core out fill it with wormer and shove that in her gob works heaps better :)

3. Cheeki

Cheeki Gold Member

I get an old wormer, clean it out, and fill it with molasis water, with a big gob of molasis on the end .. horse eats it up. Do this a few times, then once a day, then once every few days ..
    when it comes to worm, give the horse a molasis filled, then the actual wormer (With a blob of molasis on the end), then another molasis water one.

Had my horse begging for more .. he's still not keen, but he's a lot better now knowing he gets a molasis one after.

4. Court Eagle

Court Eagle Well-known Member

My last horse was a complete monster when trying to worm her, so i ended up giving her the Eraquell worming pellets mixed into a small feed. She actually thought they were a delicious treat lol

5. Narbeyda

Narbeyda New Member

Over the years have had mares that were difficult to worm. Used to persist with them but in the end to the easy option and used Eraquell pellets so much easier and took the stress out of the whole thing. I just mixed them in with a small amopunt of other pellets and handfed them, no problems at all.

6. robbing'charisma

robbing'charisma Well-known Member

I have one pony that I am working on his confidence and I found if I cut an apple in half, core out the middle (like a little bowl) and put some wormer in both halfs and he eats it and wants some more. I have one pony though that I don't need to even halter up he loves the wormers that much, such a little nutter! *#)

I have feed the pellets to my older horse once and I just tipped it out into my hands and he gobbled them up, I didn't need to add any feed and he is a picky eater at times! Best of luck:)

'Cheeki' what a wikid good idea!:)

7. Trouble with Equarall pellets is they can become ineffective, my neighbor currently has this issue.

I worm mine randomly with apple sauce, they all come running with their mouths open when I produce a syringe LMAO

8. Merlin

Merlin Well-known Member

Mine are forever getting stuff syringed down their throats so they are used to it, molassus water is great to get them used to the syringe :) Any I have had trouble with I back into a corner, sometimes use a twitch (tuck it up in halter) stand to the side incase they strike or rear and I grab their tongue pull it out the side, get my hand and wormer as far up into the mouth and squirt it in, let go of the tongue, then hold their heads up tickling their tongue until they swallow. Pat reward and leave them alone to sulk**)

9. weezal

weezal New Member

I mix mine in a feed with copra as is seems to hide the taste pretty well. He is terrible to worm. Runs backwards, rears, etc.

I considerred the pellets but they were double the price so I will continue my way until it doesn't work anymore.

I have access to two different types of pellet things. Eraquell (Ivermectin) & Equiban granules (Morantal Tartrate) so if i need to use them I can still rotate.

10. Angimac

Crafty, Cheeki, Racybeast, Narbeyda, robbing charisma, Merrylegs, Merlin and weezal thanks for your suggestions. I think I might try the apple disguise until Elvis will tie up without too much bother. He sees anything that resembles a syringe and thinks we are going to try and kill him again. Poor thing, I cannot imagine how much pain he must of been in.
    I tried to hose the leg down (as per vet instruction), but Elvis was stressing and sweating. I read they have a good memory and it takes them quite a few good memories to get over bad things.
    Won't let Stepdad too close, I think the carrot bribery is starting to work thou.

11. Ren

Ren Well-known Member

i went an bought goulbourn (sp?) valley crushed apple (human stuff) and syringed him orally with it :) at first i had to squirt some on his lip coz he wouldnt have a bar of what he thought was coming and once he smelt it he has loved it ever since and i still routinely give him a syringe of crushed apple and they also have ones with pear which he loves to and he was a horse who would rear to a horse i can worm halterless out in paddock :)

12. Babe the standy ROCKS

Babe the standy ROCKS Well-known Member

I am so going to try the syringe full of apple technique for my lot.**)

13. Yup thats what I do with the apple sauce :D

14. Angimac

Thanks Ren, we used the apple sauce in an old wormer syringe technique, I wanted some other ideas until we get him used to them again.