Worming pellets

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by snoopydoo, Jan 22, 2009.

1. snoopydoo

snoopydoo Well-known Member

At the moment i give my 2 worming paste, however, they are not overly excited by the process and quite often manage to spit some out even though I put the syringe as far back as i can. My mare actually starts using her tongue like she's trying to get something out of her mouth as soon as I go near her with the syringe.
    Anyway, I'm considering moving them onto granules. Are the granules palatable to horses or do some sift them through their feeds? Also I've only seen 1 brand around so i guess I'd still need to give paste sometimes to rotate the active ingredient, or have I just not seen all the types of granules available.
    How do you manage on worming granules - good/bad comments please

2. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

I personally dont use the granules because they dont kill one of the worms (sorry cant remember which one) that the worming paste does. So they are not as "broad-spectrum" as the pastes.

Also I found they used to sift it out a bit and I was never sure if they really got enough of it. Although Im sure you could fix this by putting some molassess in and giving it a good mix up.

If they are managing to spit the paste out, maybe you are not sticking the syringe back far enough? I never have horses spit it out, in fact I dont even have to hold their head up afterwards, it goes straight down the trap lol. I put it so far into their mouth that I can only see the very end of the squeezer part. And youve gotta be quick lol!

IMO I think the couple of seconds of head tossing/carry on is worth it to know that they got a) the full dose and b) the broad-spectrum coverage that the paste provides.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  3. jonty

jonty Well-known Member

There is one that is a little more liquidfied so it runs down the back of the tounge - Promectin Plus tastes like Oatmeal also!

I have to give two tubes every time so im almost a expert at giving it and yes you have to be quick!

4. sherreem

sherreem Well-known Member

the eraquell pellets are really good. we have a couple of old boys here that there is no way you will get anything in there mouth. i just make sure they are hungry (lock in the yard for a few hours with no food) then make a small feed up mix the pellets in and they just scoff them down no problems.

the equiban granules (think thats the ones) they tend to sift thru. also the granules i need 2 sachets for one horse.

with the pellets the dose in each sachet is enough for one horse.

there is a wormer out now made by kelato (i think) that has a nifty handle type thing on the plunger so easier to squirt it in plus i dont think the dose is as big as some other brands so also easier to get the horse to take it.

5. b r i a n n a

b r i a n n a New Member

we give all our horses pellet wormers and they all think there treats:p they want more once ive given them there amount lol:) much more plesant than paste worming them :)*,,, we havent had any problems using pellets instead of paste

6. zendor

zendor Well-known Member

we have been using these as we had a feral horse we couldnt yet worm properly but I personally dont think they havhe worked neally as well as proper tube wormers

7. ChillOut

ChillOut Well-known Member

i have used the eraquell pellets with success and also the lower volume one. It's only 10 ml for a 500 kg horse. You can give it orally, but I also mix it in their feed. It has the same wormer as the big tubes. I can't remember the name at the moment.

I have not found any alternative to the strategy T or whatever you use to rotate.

8. jodles

jodles Well-known Member

I used the granules for my old horse as he would strike out with the syringe and it was easier to just feed the granules never had a problem with worms at all. If you put it in the freezer first it doesn't smell (hint from an old timer)