Worming Paste.....Evolve!

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Talkingshell, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Talkingshell

Talkingshell Well-known Member

Hey Guys,

I thought I would post something about this wormer paste, I was impressed that it was so easy to syringe into their mouth.

I think I would be sticking with those new Evolve ones and have one non-bot wormer during the winter seasons as bots aren't active!

What is your favorite wormers?

2. supersezabell

supersezabell Well-known Member

You should really rotate a bit more often with a wormer with a different active ingredient as otherwise the worms become immune to it. But thats good its easy might have to try it next.

3. Marianne

Marianne Gold Member

I try and get the syringes that are easy to use. I have small hands and some of them are just too big for my small hand span. LOL.

The gels are really good. I like Strategy T.

4. Talkingshell

Talkingshell Well-known Member

Yes I do rotate! :)

5. Fe

Fe Well-known Member

I have found for me the Razor wormer to be good. I can get 2 doses for horses out of one tube for the same price as you would buy 1 other wormer.

6. Boo's Eclipse

Boo's Eclipse Well-known Member

I use Imax Gold, it has two active ingrediants, is liquid, so even horses who hate being wormed, swallow it before they realise, you use less, but treat more (10 horses to one bottle, or thereabouts) & it also works out more cost effective for me, the syringe is a little big, but I just use a 12ml medical syringe instead.
    I rotate with with strat T if I can get it on special, or the rotational one that Imax puts out, can't remember it's name though.

7. HorseSlave

HorseSlave Well-known Member

Hmmm... that's a good idea with the syringe - I find it a little big too.

8. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Im another that uses Imax Gold!
    You can do 10 500 kilo horses from 1 little bottle but as i have small ponies & mini's as well, its very cost efective.

Anyone here used Panacur 100 & done the double dose for 5 days?

9. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

I too use the Imax Gold as it works out cheaper when you have afew to do. I did buy the Evolve one last week though to do one horse that had missed out on the Imax dose, I found it easy to use. I also like using Equest as its the only one I can give my old Tb gelding that doesn't make him go off and sulk after having it, he doesn't seem to mind the taste of that one and also it lasts for up to 16 weeks (although I re-do after 12 with it). There are so many different wormers around these days. I have noticed lately though you have to be careful which you buy with regards to the amount of paste in the tube as awhile ago I just quickly grabbed a 'cheapie' one to do a double up dose on a horse and noticed it only went up to the doseage for a 450kg horse. Most pastes provide enough for up to a 500-600kg horse. I must admit mine wouldn't be over the 450-500kg mark but I used to use the left over bits from each one to make up the doseage for my shetland pony.

10. wormwatch

wormwatch Active Member

I have. It's not a double dose in Australia - our labels are already for 10mg fenbendazole/kg horse

11. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Ok, i read it on a Eastern States forum, quite a few tried the double dose for 5 days with excellent results.

12. Trojane

Trojane Well-known Member

I only use granules (ie eraquell) to mix into feed. Usually add a little molasses to disguise but have no trouble with acceptance and can see all has been eaten.

Hate pastes - reckon it's a good way to make a horse head shy and I don't like wearing wormers.*#)

13. wormwatch

wormwatch Active Member

Yes - I've read that too. But it's not new or unique.

The fenbendazole dose for encysted larvae is 10mg fenbendazole / kg of horse /day for 5 days.

In Europe and the USA the label dose for a single dose of fenbendazole is 10mg/kg for foals and 5mg/kg for adults. This is because the fenbendazole dose needed for killing ascarids is higher than for strongyles and older horses generally don't get ascarids. This is how the name "5-day double dose" got started. Fenbendazole is marketed in Europe and USA in a pellet form as "Power Pack" that you add to feed each day at a rate of 10mg fenbendazole/kg horse bodyweight once a day for 5 days to treat encysted small strongyles. This has been around for many years.

The label instructions for Panacur in Australia are 10mg/kg all horses. By all means give a double dose (20mg/kg), but don't expect it to improve efficacy against encysted small strongyles. Plus it's an off label (ie higher dosage than recommended) usage that leaves you in a precarious position if anything goes wrong.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  14. EVP

EVP Gold Member

We bought 25 boxes (tubes) of a product called Equiwormer + Tape. It says its active is Prazi 140mg and 18.7mg of Ivermectin. This is a low dose apple flavoured paste and the tube cost $9.00 each!!

It has been the only wormer bar one other low volume flavoured one (name I can't remember) that the horses have actually looked at us and gone "Well that one was different...any more mum". The dose went in so quick and easy and they didn't lose a drop (prob cause its low volume dur).

So it was a great price and very easy. Big yellow box of a tube 6.42g it says.

Bought from over the net.

15. Trojane

Trojane Well-known Member

Interesting EVP. Was it a reliable source? I know some products come from exotic locations...

16. Myaura

Myaura New Member

Just thought Id share something I was told by a vet and a guy at my produce, as it turns out, they were right on the money.
    I was always advised and always practiced rotating wormers. I always used different brands thinking I was doing the right thing. After given the advice I was given, I did a little homework and it all made sense.
    Majority of wormers have different ingredients,
    Ammo-Active ingredient is Abamectin
    Equimax LV- active ingredient is Ivermectin and
    Eques- active ingredient is Moxidectin
    Although these are different names, thay are all basicly the same drug. Changing brands is not just enough, you need to rotate the actual drug itself.
    Anything ending in "ECTIN" is the same drug, so look for the active ingredient on the box.
    A minority of wormers use another drug, either Oxfendazole or Oxibendazole in wormers such as Equinox, strategy T and Oximinth.
    when changing wormers, I look for anything ending in "ECTIN" and "ZOLE" and buy accordingly, that way im canging the active ingredient, not just the brand. All brands also do tapeworm and bots.
    I thought Id add this out of interest :D

17. jonty

jonty Well-known Member

I use Promectin Plus....and Benzelmin Paste but have used others in the past too!!!

Promectin Plus is oatmeal flavored and a little bit more liquified, so it rolls over the back of the horses toung and goes down their throat, instead of on the ground....thats my experience with that wormer!