WORMING - For those with Large Number of Horses/Ponies

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Dollar, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Dollar

Dollar Well-known Member

Hi All,

Just wanted to ask those with Studs or a Large Number of Horses/Ponies to worm on a regular basis what you are worming with and how often you rotate and with what ?

Thanks in Advance....

2. Tallarook

Tallarook Well-known Member

Hey Dollar

I do my lot i have been rotating with the Virbac brands Equimax and Strategy T, for the babies under 2 yrs i use Equimax Elevation.

Virbac gives out a little disc thing that goes on the fridge and it shows you which rotation to use according to what time of year etc. It has run for 2 yrs now, upon speaking to my vet he has now put me back onto AMMO, it is a great one for the botts which hide in the guts over the winter period.

I worm my lot according to which wormer i have used etc, i buy all mine from budget stockfeeds in bulk and they give me a good price and throw in the bucket too.

All my horses are yarded for 48 hours all that manure is then seperated and composted for garden use and as give away stuff. I also muck my paddocks at least 3-4 times a week also.

I had some fecal counts done on my lot a few years back and then again last year, my very old pony (29) had the greatest level, my vet advised the older and the younger ones are usually most at risk from worms. The old pony gets a whole wormer, while the rest get their dose + 100kg extra.

It is not a cheap exercise, and i have learnt to take no ones word when they say oh yes i wormed the horse the other week. Each horse that comes to my place gets wormed and a yard for 48 hours just to make sure we are not passing on any problems to the rest of my mob.

3. PetaBizz

PetaBizz Well-known Member

You are opening a can of worms here Dollar pmsl :eek:

We are not classed as a large herd (maybe by Nannygoat's standards:p) but I worm every 8 weeks when the cat and kids get done.. I also worm chooks and newly aquired bunny wabbit! I can tell you a grand story about worms but will wait till I catch you in person :rolleyes:

4. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

nawww Pbizz, confess to the world your worming (or lack of) experience lol we all need a bum chuckle!!

and I refuse to point any fingers at people with large herds pmsl

I have just been thru a mega worm programme with the muchly appreciated help from WormWatch, yee gads it can be complicated.

5. CDA

CDA Well-known Member

I buy the Worma Drench bottle - 50ml does a 500kg horse, I do mine every 3 months or so.

6. PetaBizz

PetaBizz Well-known Member

No thanks NG.. Wee bit embarrassing thanks.. but I will add to anyone on here that has children - Combantrim now does children under the age of 2 (seems it changed in the 8 years difference between my children) :eek: