worming an underweight pregnant mare.

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Coda Cowgirl, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Coda Cowgirl

Coda Cowgirl Well-known Member

how dangerous is it to worm a severely underweight and pregnant mare? She is due in November...the owner of the mare seems to think that wormers are a no go for pregnant mares and this one is really suffering.

2. oldtenth

oldtenth Well-known Member

Hi Coda Girl

I would seek the advice of a vet especially since the mare is under weight. Normally with any pregnant mare I don't administer any wormer six weeks prior to expected foaling date and especially if they are lactating. After foaling generally 60 days.

3. Coda Cowgirl

hiya mate

i would consult a vet but the mare isn't mine im just trying to find some ammunition to fight the owner with!

4. oldtenth

just a little more bit of advice, don't give the mare any substance that contains organo phosphate compounds in the last three months of pregnancy as it can cause problems.

5. oldtenth

well it sounds like the owner needs a hurry on, hope you can convince the person to get the vet out, or call the RSPCA if you believe the horse needs urgent attention.

6. Claireb

Claireb Well-known Member

Worms

Is she definately wormy?

There is always worm counting to test first then you only need to worm if they are at a certain level. It won't pick up tape or encysted redworm.

Cx

7. Coda Cowgirl

most definately wormy