Worming a new horse

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by jessg, Jan 13, 2010.

1. jessg

jessg Active Member

I have just bought my first horse, so just learning all this. When I go to worm my horse for the first time do I need to know his exact weight? The packet goes on weight but I have no idea what he weighs. I have the pellets that I was going to use.

2. aliasmel

aliasmel New Member

First of all what breed is he?
    And is he fat,thin or moderate body weight?

Also you can get a weight tape from the saddleshop that gives you a guesstimate of their weight.

3. Yes you need to know his weight. So many people guess and worm less than they should be, and so the worms develop an immunity to the wormers.

You can use a weight tape to get an approximation, take him to a weigh bridge or there is a mathematical formula you can use to get an approximation.

You also should know your horse's weight for feeding and suppliment amount purposes.

4. maxntaz

maxntaz Well-known Member

you can buy a sort of tape measure from the horseshops, which basically can you you an "approximate" weight of your horse. I think they are less that $10 to buy. That might be the way to go.

5. jessg

jessg Active Member

Oh ok then thanks. Glad I asked!! I am going to buy a rug today so will pick up a weight tape as well.

6. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

Jess when I get a new horse I get the vet out to worm, oil drench for sand and do their teeth. THat way at least I know all the maintainance stuff has been done and I am not likely to get some easily avoided issue crop up.
    The weight tapes are a handy thing.

7. Cornflower

Cornflower Well-known Member

Yeah, agree with Sugar. You never know when that stuff has been done last, and it's always better to start off with a clean slate, so to speak.
    Good luck with your new horse.

8. NP

NP New Member

yes you will need to know your horses weight.
    this is the formula i use to estimate it:

Weight (kg) = girth x girth (cm) × length (cm) ÷ 11 000

Length is from the point of the shoulder to the point of the bum :)

9. Jonty3

Jonty3 Guest

Hi there has been some evidence that worming with drenches etc while the vet is out is less effective than a empty stomach at home....

10. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

That is interesting Jonty.
    I have always had the vet worm whenhtey are drenching because that way I know the hrose got the full dose. Make sense though taht if you are purging the gut of sand the wormer might not be absorbed totally.

11. Cornflower

Cornflower Well-known Member

Yeah, I never get my vet to worm and drench at the same time. Mostly because i don't worm that often, and usually when drenching time comes around, it's out of wack with my worming cycle. But also because i do agree with what Jonty said.
    But some vets seem to automatically add it, so best to ask if you don't want it.

12. Jonty3

Jonty3 Guest

If you think about sheep, we drench sheep on a empty stomach for them to absorb the entire lot and the efficacy is much higher....the problem is there is not documents or studys to show this....for horses...not sheep!

And most if not all vets only change habits if a study or document come out stating it has been tested!!!

13. dopeyqh

dopeyqh Active Member

hi jess,

yeah i agree with Sugar's Mum, get the Vet out to do your worming, oil drench (sometimes called a Sand drench), teeth (try get him sedated too so you can do his sheath at the same time nice and thoroughly :p, the Vet will show you how if you don't know- i got help with my boy's sheath and it was so squeaky clean!) this starts you off with a nice clean slate and then you know how up-to-date he is :)

14. WaningMoon

WaningMoon New Member

With not knowing the horses prior worming history I would want to start off very slow. I would not give the full amount. You don't want to risk colic from massive die off of the worms. This happens quite a lot. I do not know your products over there so have no suggestions. Here we would use Strongid or the like a couple times at half weight measure and then go to ivermectin after a couple doses. Then maybe a powerpak to get the encysted strongles, which don't show up in fecals. Especially very important in a rescue who may not have been wormed in a long time. Death from colic due to dead worm overload is not uncommon unfortunately.

15. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Yes, weigh your horse. Weighbridge, weighband, an experienced horsey eye etc.:)*

Just dont ever use AMMO as it will give your horse colic.:))