Wormers - active for how long?

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by HorseSlave, Jul 17, 2008.

1. HorseSlave

HorseSlave Well-known Member

How long before manure from a wormed horse is safe for dung beetles and earthworms?

I use my horses manure in our vegie garden (after its appropriately aged) and I treasure my earthworms and dung beetles.

I've been assuming the fresh manure passed after 48 hours is safe to put on the normal manure pile. I contain the horses after worming for 48 hours and I separately store that "toxic" manure away from the "normal" stuff.

I'd love to know how long I have to keep the manure away from earthworms/dung beetles until its safe for them.

2. HorseSlave

*bumping for the evening crowd*

3. ashka

ashka Well-known Member

Certain wormers have been tested to be dung beetle friendly - I believe Strategy-T is one.

4. jonty

jonty Well-known Member

Promectin Plus is also one of them too!

5. Mouse

Mouse Well-known Member

Any wormers that contain the 'ectin' drug eg. ivermectin, abectin kill the dung beetle. I do not use these drug during sept to march when the beetles are active. I will use them this time of year to rotate from the other wormers.

6. jonty

jonty Well-known Member

Horse worms are resistance to to Ivermectin!!!

7. HorseSlave

So does anyone know how long wormers remain toxic after having passed through a horse?

8. jonty

jonty Well-known Member

What sort of worms as there are all different ones? or in general

9. HorseSlave

Just after a general idea jonty - I'm guessing they'll mostly be pretty similar when it comes to the "withholding period" for my earthworms ;)

I love using the horse poo on the veggie garden, but haven't been game to use the "after wormer" batch and I'm not sure what its half life might be.

10. jonty

jonty Well-known Member

Ah, I recall something about 48 hours, I know it is in sheep worms (ie. black scour worms) but horses dont get them, have to rack my brain a bit more. I have just done a reminder training session on these nastys!!!

11. HorseSlave

I'm assuming the wormer is out of their system in 48 hours, just wondering how long the poo they passed is nasty too though - the active constituents of the wormers must break down eventually, but no idea when. ???

12. jonty

jonty Well-known Member

I have always burnt or bagged the contaminated worm manure ready for the tip....

13. retroremedy

retroremedy Well-known Member

Hi Horseslave, send a PM to WormWatch, they will be able to give you a good idea!