Worma-Bit?

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Cadabby, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Cadabby

Cadabby Well-known Member

So.. anyone used them? Got any feedback? Good, bad...God forbid, ugly?!

Thinking of getting one to use with Abby, as she has for the past few years had the option of the pellet wormers and is not keen on the pastes. I want to be able to worm her with pastes (because other stuff comes in pastes too!) but once she puts her head up I just can't reach!

I eventually want her to be able to be wormed without using any gadgets of course, but I'm thinking of using this as a training tool - a stepping stone if you like :)

Cheers :D

2. Jonty3

Jonty3 Guest

Not ever used them before, but you could simply do it with a empty wormer tube....sorry to tell you those pellet wormers are not really that effective! (ivermectin based)

3. Well to be honest I wouldn't bother. I have a nice large syringe here I 'worm' every horse randomly at least once a fortnight with.

I put apple sauce in it, somethimes mollasses.

They come queuing up with mouths wide open for worming now!

4. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

I can't see how the bit is going to help. The horse is still going to raise it's head once it figures out what's going on so it might be good for a single use *#)
    You'll also have to adjust the amount of paste you give her because a fair bit stays in the bit and is wasted.
    I tried one years ago. Waste of time and money IMO. Teaching your horse some head down queues and then adopting Merryleg's approach is a much better idea ;)

5. Yarraman

Yarraman Well-known Member

Ooooh tricky I like it what is their reaction when they get the real deal?

6. They give me a betrayed look. Thats about it :) They still take their wormers well!

7. corporate pride

corporate pride Well-known Member

bahahahaahahhaha!!! love the "betrayed looks" i get daggers from mine and sulking looks!
    marco was really good, he would swallow it sooo fast i didn't know he swallowed it and was holding his head up til my arm was falling off! then the last time he wouldn't eat his food, he wouldn't go near his food so i had to hose out his mouth and force feed him til he ate by himself! hahahahahaha, ozzie makes a break for it then sulks, then good luck trying to get near him if u still have the wormer inur hand! hahahahaha.

i would reverse her into a wash bay, yard corner, arena corner, thenget a block to stand on, have a rope halter on her. start by feeding her carrot after carrot and rub carrots on the tube so it smells like carrots and then when she's not expecting it in goes the wormer and act fast before so knows whats happened. she'll soon learn that it's gonna happen anyways

8. Cadabby

Cadabby Well-known Member

Some good suggestions here, thanks :)

Have tried molasses. Result was me covered in molasses and having to hose it off (with FREEZING water) before I could get in the car to go home!

I like the idea of reversing her - I have the perfect spot to do it too!
    I think I'll go down town and buy some applesauce now :)