worm management

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Tallarook, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Tallarook

Tallarook Well-known Member

Hi all,

Im wanting to hear from all the big centres, what is your worming management???

I run 14 horses at my place between our 6.5 acres and the 5 next door. All mine are wormed at the same time, paddocks are picked 4 times a week and all manure is composted for a month. I then either fill holes in paddocks or give it away for someones lucky garden :)

What is the proceedure at all these big agistment centres???

Cheers

2. Emalin

Emalin New Member

you could get egg counts done on your horses poo to see if they have worms /eggs and what species .

3. milzenzab

milzenzab Active Member

I agist 10 horses. Each horse has there own paddock. I do rotate a few horses. Four times a year I worm the horses myself and I have Facel floats done twice a year. Any new horses coming in has to be passed for a feacal float first before entering.
    I used to worm every 6weeks by my vet said that I was over worming beacause all my horses were clear.

4. proud_equestrian

proud_equestrian Active Member

how much do worm egg counts generaly cost???

5. Chardonnay

Chardonnay Active Member

Be careful relying on egg counts, my horse had ensysted strongells (sp) and the egg count came back nil. You need to add either equest or panacur from the vet into your worming regime as these are the only two products which will kill worms that have burrowed into the gut or colon.

6. Jonty3

Jonty3 Guest

There are two on label. Equest and Oxazole.

Panacur is not registered for horses!

7. Chardonnay

Chardonnay Active Member

What do you mean Panacur is not registered for horses? The Horse Hospital I use regularly use it for worm management. Have I got the wrong product?

8. Chardonnay

Chardonnay Active Member

i have just re-read Dr A Nyland's book and it states that Equest is the only wormer on the market to kill encysted strongyles as it contains moxidectin and the others don't. The book Natural Horse Care The Right Way by Dr Nyland is well worth a read. There is a big section on worms.

9. chocollo

chocollo Active Member

Panacur is registered for horses. "PANACUR EQUINE GUARD" is 100.0 g/L of FENBENDAZOLE.

The only moxidectin products registered for Horses are:
    EQUEST GEL HORSE WORMER AND BOTICIDE and
    EQUEST PLUS TAPE LONG ACTING HORSE WORMER & BOTICIDE GEL.

Sorry for the shouting.:) quicker to cut & paste.;)

If you want to know whats in each wormer google APVMA and you will find the pesticides and veterinary medicine products registered in Australia.

10. Jonty3

Jonty3 Guest

I sincerely apologize it is registered for horses and cattle....so sorry....was thinking of another one that equine vets use in horses not registered for horses.....which is a ivermectin based wormer!

Ivermectin based wormers are not effective as MANY others!

In fact Ivermectin wormers are less than 33% effective.....why take those chances!

Again very sorry!

11. milzenzab

milzenzab Active Member

My vet charges me $20.00 per float. I use Pancur once a year. You can get it from any animal related place.

12. beau

beau Well-known Member

We run 50 horses here and when they arrive they must be wormed and are put into our steel yards for three days so we can see if there are any probs, they are then put out into respective paddocks.

All the horses are put on a rotation usually 8 weeks, but this time we have used a longer lasting one for the new season.

We are looking at using an oral liquid but yet to be convinsed.

We also rotate and cross graze all our paddoks with the cows who are also drenched and vacinated.