Worm Count

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by MINI GIRL, Apr 22, 2009.

1. MINI GIRL

MINI GIRL Active Member

Just wondering if any one has had this done on there horses before.

It has been suggest to me to have this done to the horses that are kept on my property.

What is your suggestion and experience with this and does anyone know who performs this type of test.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thank you :)

2. madcow

madcow Guest

I deffinately reccomend having worm egg counts down.

I used "WormWatch" and the results very surprising.

I even had Wormwatch do my goat Homer:eek:

3. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

vets can do worm counts.

have heard different things about it. Recently saw an article that recommended not worming unless the count was above a set level. (Cant remember the vet will know I am sure.)To reduce count numbers grazing with/following cattle helps reduce the worm burden as they will kill horse worms

4. Trojane

Trojane Well-known Member

I have had worm egg counts done by WormWatch.
    It was pretty interesting as I'd had no idea what the heck was going on in there!
    Gratifying too, with low-to-zero eggs results (though I know it's a sample and doesn't cover all worm types etc)

Good for getting an idea of the level of infestation your horses (and thus pastures) may have.
    And some idea of individual's loads - especially if there's an "at risk" or new horse.
    Also some idea of how effective your current worming strategy is.
    And guidance in managing pastures and avoiding worm infestation.

Caroline/wormwatch is full bottle on this stuff and very approachable.

There are Q&As at: Equine worm egg count information :)

5. wormwatch

wormwatch Active Member

I do egg counts for horses (and some very special goats).

Egg counts are a useful tool, but are only one part of the whole worm control package. Getting the timing of egg counts right makes a big difference to how useful the results are. It's also important to work closely with your vet if you have unwell horses/ponies as there are some types of parasites that the worm egg count tests don't detect. It's important that the results are carefully interpreted and explained to you.

You are welcome to send me a PM, e-mail or phone me if you want more information. I have an ad on here somewhere with my contact details.

Having said that, I'm not the only egg counting service around. The Department of Agriculture and the Vet Lab in Ascot (Vetpath) also do egg counts. There are also some mail services.

6. Ritadee

Ritadee New Member

@)Hi, I agree with madcow and Trojane, I use 'wormwatch'. She's great and it gives you a good idea how each horse reacts to the wormer used ie it might be more suseptable (sp?) to worms when using a certain wormer, I've got three horses, all sharing the same pasture/paddock, one had a worm egg count off the chart and the other two had no eggs found, all were wormed at the same time with the same wormer. Go figure, it just goes to show all horses are different.:D

7. MINI GIRL

MINI GIRL Active Member

Thank you everyone for your help on this matter :)....much appreciated.

Sending you a PM wormwatch.