working/paddock boots

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Shera, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Shera

Shera Active Member

Just wondering peoples opinions of working/paddock boots and the effect on tendons. For me personally it would be for flat work only.

So working boots/bandaging, type of boots, pros, cons
    (issues of heating damaging tendons etc)

Paddock boots
    (pros, cons)

At the moment i don't use anything as I believe that boots can actually cause damage to tendons.... But I have started doing lateral work and my girl is brushing her hind legs nothing major.
    She also keeps getting small cuts on her hind legs so opinions on paddock boots would be appreciated too. (surely it can't be good for horses to be wearing them 24/7 in summer :eek: ?)
    But surely if so many people continue to use them they must have their place or is it just fashionable?

2. Going round in circles

Going round in circles Active Member

I never use to use boots while lunging over 20 years but now I do after a horse nearly went through his tendon lucky no shoes on but he did get a lot of stitches.

Every day work I don't use boots but if a horse goes close to touching boots go on.

If they are fitted properly you should not have any problems with the tendons.

They shouldn't really need them in a paddock but some like to do yahoos and may damage themselves but I wouldn't use 24/7.

3. dakota95

dakota95 Active Member

I have a personal rule that I always use boots when lunging not because my horses run around like maniacs but there is always that 1 time they could slip or whatnot and catch themselves. They wear bellboots and either open front jump boots with the hard shell or tendon boots (on all 4 legs)

My young boy wears bellboots in the paddock coz he tends to run around like a loony ocasionally and he is a clumsy idiot.

I have seen the paddock boots I think you are talking about, they have like a suede outer and a sheepskin lining. I'm inclined to think especially in our aussie climate they could do more harm than good. The sheepskin will probably get hot in summer and make them overheat. They hold water/sweat too.

4. stephie1370

stephie1370 Well-known Member

When I move agistment or my pony is visiting somewhere new I put paddock boots on her for a day.. Just in case she goes a bit silly and gets stuck in a fence (happened before).

I havent been riding much lately, but I would usually but open front jumping boots and something on their back legs if I was planning on jumping :) I like bandages but they are too fiddlely and it gets annoying lol

5. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Paddock boots... waste of time

Hello there
    Personally I only use boots on horses when I'm going out for a hoon through the bush or working them up to a competition and always put them on for jumping work. Usually open fronts on the front legs and cross country boots on the back, not a fan of bell boots for flat work, if the horse is shod correctly they shouldn't need them especially in these you beaut gee whiz arenas, jumping, yes, to protect the coronet band to a certain extent. Paddock boots in my honest oppinion are a complete waste of time and the fluffy things with suede that the showies use.....what use are they?! They heat the legs up, provide no support and by the looks of things would come off if the horse simply put his muzzle down to scratch his leg!
    I did a yearling prep at a thoroughbred stud back in 2008 and we used to put splint boots all round and bell boots on the front whenever they went on the walker or out in the day yards. Generally they drove the yearlings insane out in the paddock and they'd end up pulling them off within the first five minutes anyway and we were always finding boots (both splint and bells) in the walker whenever we raked it. Crazy thing was on the weekends they never got boots put on, mmm, couldn't figure that one out!
    Case in point.............
    Brought a filly in from the yards one lunchtime and there was blood coming from her offside fore but I couldn't tell where. Got the yearling manager to have a look, she pulled the bell boot off and the filly had somehow managed to end up with an inch deep by about half her foot length long cut on the outside of her hoof on the coronet band. The bell boot was actually applying pressure to the wound and slowing the bleeding down! Once the bell boot came off the blood started pouring out! I should iike to point out there was not a mark on any of the boots. Go figure.
    Comes down to it makes us feel good and warm and fuzzy inside cos we're taking steps to prevent possible chances of injury.

6. Ponypuppet

Ponypuppet Active Member

I dont bother with boots in the paddock, other than bell boots for my riding horse since she has such huge paces, always throws her shoes otherwise #(

I also always keep bellboots on when i ride her, for the same reason, but I will take them off for dressage tests and showing.

For dressage and flatwork i dont bother with boots, but I havent started much lateral work as of yet, so that may change :)

For jumping at home I just have her openfronts and bell boots on, that way she is so much more carefull over her fences.

For bushrides / roadwork i use her open fronts, bell boots and thick fleece lined brush boots on the back legs.

For cross country i use the sling boots (the ones that wrap all the way around and under the fetlock, like bandages in a boot :p) on her front legs then her bell boots plus her fleecy brush boots on her back legs.

I have never had any problems with her tendons getting to hot or anything, i just always make sure to cold hose her tendons after a hard workout. :D

7. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

I religously use brushing boots now on my big mare.

She ocassionally bangs her legs doing laterals, overtracks and strikes etc.

I'd much rather her have decent boots on then have cut up sore legs.

Unless incorrectly fitted - I don't see the damage that could be done? Overheating etc maybe, but that's why you get good ones ;)

Don't use paddock boots as I can't be bothered, always use leg protection when floating.

8. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

My idiot youngster has jumped THROUGH 2 fences and a gate (world cup SJ and olympic eventing bloodlines, but I think he will be dressage pony LOL), plus had his leg stuck in a supposedly horse-proof gate... he had boots on each time and was not injured. Would hate to know what would have happened with the wire fences across his cannon bones without the boots? When grows a brain he might be allowed out nakid LOL

Always boot for riding, both horses. Knee boots on idiot youngster for road work. Float boots on idiot youngster, or on both if taking 2. Overreach boots always on idiot youngster.

9. Excelsior Centerpiece

Excelsior Centerpiece Well-known Member

i bandage all the time. every working session. and bandage or boot for floating. the one time i dont- will be the one time an accident happens and love my horse to much to let it.. it only takes 5 mins to do and i think its like strapping your knees of wearing correct sneakers. its supportive. yes take them off as soon as works done and hose legs down and proper cooling down is important.

i dont do paddock boots only because his padock is as safe as houses and he doesnt run in it.
    i used to paddock boot my other horses when they were in a bush type paddock. but they were off at night times.

10. emloveschocco100

emloveschocco100 Active Member

I use white work boots for arena work , open fronts for jumping and xc boots for xc.
    My horse has such big movement that he occasionally strikes the back of his front legs, he has bells boots on during the day in the paddock.

I havent found a good pair of paddock boots and the fake sheepskin doesnt breath causing swelling in there legs from over heating.

If i fine decent sheep skin ones that breath then i would always have boots on in the paddock

11. maxntaz

maxntaz Well-known Member

I have bell boots on my horse 24/7.

I use boots religiously when ever i ride (in the arena or out in the bush).

I tried paddock boots but they were a pain as i couldnt keep and eye on them as much as I had hoped.

Thus far, no tendon issues (due to overheating blah blah blah)... but each to their own.

12. Cornflower

Cornflower Well-known Member

Just wondering, can anyone prove that using boots actually helps the tendons? I mean, has there ever been a study done?

I dunno, i'm not one for using boots. Never have been.

I really would only use them for jumping.

I doubt an animal such as a horse would have survived till now in the wild, being able to do what they do, if their legs weren't strong enough to cope with it all.

Interesting that racehorses don't wear boots.

13. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

there was some study done, and was proven that some boots overheat tendons etc.

Using boots for tendon support is false economy IMO.

As I said, I use them to protect my horses legs. Would I rather have her booted, or have nice big grazes on the inside of her fetlocks - easy choice for me ;)

I don't think racehorses are ALLOWED to wear boots (could be wrong), and of course, weight issue. Plus racehorses don't exactly do any lateral work - which is often where you get the issue of needing boots for protection.

In the wild are horses asked to do any lateral work? carry a rider? ask for more hind leg activity? This goes again back to the fact we are dealing with domesticated animals NOT wild horses... :rolleyes:

JMO, I rarely bother riding my mare without boots, not worth risking injury over... of course not all horses brush.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2010
  14. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

i would LOVE someone to teach me how to bandage properly (hint hint). as it is, because i can't, i usually just use brushing boots when schooling, to protect legs from knocks. i don't do anything to "protect tendons" and i'm aware that you could also risk blowing a tendon by overdoing the 'support' because the horse could get used to it or something? i remember reading about that on here a couple of times. i am not a fan of the 'sling' boot & i think unless you are doing work where the tendon is hyper-extended, such as in barrels or reining, it's a waste of time. but each to his own. you do not see pro-eventers wearing sling boots out on their horses on course.

my pony always wears bell boots because he's a standy & can get unbalanced/excited & pace & knock himself about. plus, a minute overdue with his feet & he'll start clipping himself as well.

the only boots my horse wears in the paddock are his fly boots in summer.

i understand that paddock boots should be made with 100% fleece & in theory should be COOL, not heating?

15. Jaana

Jaana Well-known Member

Tally is in bell boots 24/7 - not because he over reaches as such but when he plays - he plays hard.
    I did buy him 100% fleece paddock boots for him to prevent the other knocks and bumps - unfortunately they were too small.

When riding; he wears either sling boots or brushing boots - which ever ones I grab first. If jumping he wears open fronts, and if doing XC I put XC boots on.

he does brush so always has fronts on when riding or lunging.

16. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

... fat? or just big boned... hahaha. :p:p:p:p

17. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I won't put paddock boots on my horses for the risk of being caught in the fence.
    I have two 'show' paddocks which are completely tree and debre free however I had a bandaged on one of mine and she put her leg between my three strand electric fence and it got caught on the bandage and cut into her leg. Then and there making up my mind to not have paddock boots on any if my horses. Without the bandage her leg would of been fine and slipped out and a boot stands off further from the leg then a bandage and I believe posing a risk.

So my 'show' paddocks are specifically designed with legs in mind providing no-one has boots on and all trees hang over to provide the shade required.

18. Jaana

Jaana Well-known Member

Pfft big boned!! sif my boy is fat....or rotund as Doug calls him

19. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

Or just have safe fencing?';' ie distance of strands (if you must use wire) far enough apart to not cuase such a problem.

20. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

That's a little rude. Just because my opinion is different to yours you have made such a judgement. I didn't enter a debate, I gave my opinion that's all.