Working out horse's weight

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by HalcyonStables, Nov 24, 2008.

1. I hope this will be useful to everyone :) Here's a formula for working out horse's weights in case you can't pack up horse and float and go to a weigh bridge...

[​IMG]
    Girth measurement squared x Length and then divide by 11,877 EQUALS your horse’s estimated weight in kilos

Here's a pic to guide you where to measure from.

I don't know what happened to the worming thread as I can only assume that something 'inappropriate' happened and it was nuked (or Im going blind) so I thought I'd just repost the formula in case it helps anyone.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2008
  2. robbing'charisma

robbing'charisma Well-known Member

G cm X L cm X 75= weight in kg's.
    Daily food intake is 2.5 divide 100 X weight....

G means girth
    L means length

This is another way to find out the weight of your horse:p
    Sorry to add this to your thread, i find this method easier to calculate:D

3. Boo's Eclipse

Boo's Eclipse Well-known Member

I have found that the conventional weight tape is pretty acurate too.
    Available from Horseland for under $10

4. deschuur

deschuur Gold Member

Lol that is my method too:D

Formula, mathmatics :eek::eek: I was out in the paddock with my horse when I was in math classes*#)

5. Yeah me too, invested in a weight tape myself ;)

6. pso

pso Gold Member

Yup, the tapes are pretty close...

my little tacker comes up as 586kg on a tape...and was only 613kg on the scales...so i'd say thats a reasonable margin of error...;)

7. Presenting to Win

Presenting to Win New Member

Saddleworld in Maddington are giving away weight tapes if you buy two horse wormers.. Yeah something for Free!!!:D

8. Has anyone compared the formula to the tape yet to see which came up more accurate? I haven't, I really ought to do it as I've done the formula but haven't tried the tape yet. (really need to borrow float & find a weigh-bridge!)

9. wormwatch

wormwatch Active Member

Yes - researchers have compared different tapes and length-girth formulae with weigh-bridge recorded weights. The accuracy of the tape (or length-girth formulae) varies between tapes and horse size. PSO's experience of a 4.4% underestimation with a tape is not uncommon.

I summarised some of these results in the winter issue of the Worm Watch newsletter. Anyone interested can send me their e-mail address and I'll send them a copy of the newsletter.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  10. Boo's Eclipse

Boo's Eclipse Well-known Member

I have found the tape to be very accurate (I use Equimax brand) & yes I have compared to scale weights.
    Have only found that is is not entirely acurate with ponies (12 - 14 hands) & odd shaped horses or those with a particularly high wither. But I have found it to be slightly more accurate than the l/g formula on horses, & the l/g formula more accurate for ponies.
    Just my personal experience.

I would like a copy of that newsletter but worm watch & have pm'd you!
    Thanks

11. Mocha

Mocha Well-known Member

The tape was 50kg's out for Bear. :confused: