Working out a foals adult height?

Discussion in 'Breeding Horses' started by Natsky, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Natsky

Natsky Well-known Member

I recently purchased a 9mth old Clydesdale sporthorse filly. Her dam is 15.2hh and her sire is 17hh. Is there a method to determine her adult size? After googling I came across info which states if you measure from the bottom of the fetlock up to the elbow and then pretty much double that measurement you will come up with the adult height.

Has anybody used this method and does it work? My mare came back with an adult height of 15.3hh which I do think is highly likely.

2. gladebrook

gladebrook New Member

That's for horses over a year.

On my baby we did the measure from fetlock to knee and the cm become the hands or something like that. I was too busy holding her still to pay too much attention haha. My clydie x should be about 17hh according to this :)

3. gladebrook

gladebrook New Member

[​IMG]
    Sorry this is it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Natsky

Natsky Well-known Member

Cheers for that will give this technique a go :)

5. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Ive always used the knee to coronet band measurement too, but the way Ive been taught was to hold it at the centre of the FRONT of the knee, and measure in a straight line (pull it tight, dont follow the contours of the horses leg), down to the coronet band. The inches equals hands.

The handful of times Ive tried it on a youngster and then later on measured the horse as an adult, some have been roughly close to the horses adult height, and some have been miles out..... Its obviously just a 'rough guide'. :))