working in the arena

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by xXaussiechickyXx, Nov 2, 2008.

1. xXaussiechickyXx

xXaussiechickyXx Well-known Member

my new pony is now pulling his head out to the side and moving his body in towards the centre of the arena and he'll through his head. I cant even do a lap of trot or canter with out slamming to a halt and trying to move inwards to the centre of the arena. We bought a new saddle and is a good fit so the tack seem to be no harm.
    Any tips? Its really fustrating and he constantly tried to run off into a trot or canter so im constantly pulling him back and doin hip over cues.

2. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Familiarise with new arena
    Check teeth
    Check back
    Investigate "old" bit used
    Don't forget to release mouth pressure - I know it's hard to predict new horse/pony but he'll be learning to trust you too!

Good luck Aussie :)

3. xXaussiechickyXx

xXaussiechickyXx Well-known Member

thankyou! With the new saddle we bought it fits him great and we have his normal bit and bridle from his old owner.

4. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

That was kind of them :) We're a bit the same, bridle & rugs should be horse specific - it's THEIR clothes lol

Hope you have heaps of fun with him as you guys get to know each other

5. Lindsy10

Lindsy10 New Member

yah the horse i ride does that it could be flies or anything anoying him
    or he could just be being a brat
    just get him used to the areana and dont leave the areana until he has egleast done one lap that was good:)*

6. magic_impact

magic_impact Well-known Member

Tilting the head is a common evasion but you really need to rule out a few more soreness issues before you can start treating it as an evasion/ naughtiness.

One common one is teeth - do you know when s/he was last done? When you are riding with a contact, you will be moving the tongue and cheeks around in the mouth with your bit, and if it is moving over rough, sharp or sore teeth, opening the mouth and tilting the head might be something your horse will do to show you it is in pain.

If you can rule out pain as a cause, I would try and get someone on the ground to watch when I was riding. An instructor would be great but a friend can be a lot of help as well. The horse needs to be moving off the inside leg more if it is tilting its head and falling in on the circle. Try some leg yielding exercises and dont worry so much about the contact for a while. Once the horse respopnds properly to leg, then is the time to think about his head. Start at the walk and half halt will he almost stops, then ask for "sideways" with your inside leg, put some weight in your outside stirrup and open your outside rein so the horse works out where to go - this will set you up for a good leg yield. You can practice leg yield on a circle or on a straight line. A good starting point is to ride down the long side about 1 m in from the edge, then ask the horse to step over to the outside track. As soon as you feel him step over, release all your sideways aids and reward him.

Believe me this REALLY works, as I have a green TB who I couldnt ride in a straight line down the longside walk trot or canter without him falling in or getting crooked. Now I am riding round circles and straight edges, its great :)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  7. jodie

jodie Well-known Member

my first thought is make sure when he starts heading to the middle that you don't overbend him to the outside as this will just push all the weight to that inside shoulder and make him go into the middle more.