Working boots, what do you wear?

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by Naomi, May 13, 2004.

1. Naomi

Naomi Well-known Member

I work at an agistment centre and do a lot of walking and general stable work, im on my feet for 10 hours a day sometimes. My riding boots are falling apart, guna get some proper work boots, should i get Rossi's, Blundies? etc etc?

"It is often said that if a dog is a man's best friend, then a horse is a man's best slave."

2. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

When I was in Victoria I helped out at a trial riding place for about 8 months some of it being through winter which meant heaps of mud and water and I had a pair of Rossi's that lasted for ages. The only reason they eventually died was because our puppy chewed the toe out on one. Over here I've bought Rossi's once and they were still good but being a scrooge with money for things for myself I now buy just the cheapie Crosby boots form Kmart. They always seem okay for working in.

Ali

3. Murray

Murray Well-known Member Staff Member

These are my work boots. [​IMG]
    [image]http://www.stockyard.net/boots_comp.jpg[/image]

cheers...Murray

4. Seahorse

Seahorse Well-known Member

both rossis and blundies are meant to be good, either would probably do you...I got a pair of workboots (Batas?) for free when I worked for the council, but they didn't last long when I wore them at sea, the salt made the leather shrink, and the toes curled up, making me look like an elf...

"Never criticize someone before you have walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

5. sash1407

sash1407 Well-known Member

Has anyone used those paddock 'mucker' boots that all the horse stores seem to be carrying now?? They are the waterproof 'runner' style shoes. If you have used them what do you think of them, they may be another option to blundies or rossi's??

Cheers
    Sash

6. Veronika

Veronika Active Member

From memory, those mucker boots are like gum boots, hence your feet can't breath and it's tinea city...just something to keep in mind, especially if you're spending so much time in them.
    If you're after blundies or rossis be sure to try both on. The quality is about the same in both products, but the fit isn't. That's why you'll get people swearing by one brand and not the other...just depends on the shape of your foot.
    If you're looking for cheaper places to buy these, try farm merchandise stores...I remember Betts and betts selling rossis for $110 while I could get the same pair at the local CRT or landmark for $70. My rossis last me at least 2 years of daily wear and tear. The air cushions are also really great, especially if you are on your feet all day. The cheaper alternatives would not have this.

7. Nikiwink

Nikiwink Well-known Member

the mucker boots are incredibly comfortable though!! very good for long day wear, and i didnt have that much of a problem with my feet not breatheing [​IMG]

Currently i have a pair of work blundies and a pair of the riding blundies - which i love. Both i have had for several years now and i where one of them every day (i think i've cleaned them 4 times in 2 years or so) And they have lasted really wel.

Nikiwink

8. horsegirl

horsegirl Well-known Member

Im flat footed, and I used to have a pair of blunies, which ended up being so god damn uncomfortable to be in for long periods of time. I got my first pair of rossis around 5 years ago, still got them, wear them every day and because of the air cushioned sole, I can honestly say that when I have worn them all day long, my feet and legs are not sore, unlike the blunies!! So now I have a "good" pair of rossis and a "work" pair!

9. Lin

Lin Well-known Member

I am on to my second pair of Rossi's in about 8 years. The first pair I wore for 5 years and they ended up like Murray's - still good on the sole etc but basically snapped in half across the top. [​IMG]

Mind you, I'm not sure I'd want to wear the Rossi's or Blunnies for 10 hours on end. I ended up going to the podiatrist a couple of years back as I was getting very sore arches of my left foot in particular, which then made my knee and hip sore. The podiatrist indicated I had something akin to flat feet and basically prescribed orthotics. Not that the Rossi's were causing the problem but they certainly weren't helping.

The podiatrist told me I should quit wearing the Rossi's and move to lace up shearer's boots instead. Of course, I did what all good patients do - ignored him and bought another pair of Rossi's!!!

10. The Old Grey Mare

The Old Grey Mare Active Member

John Bull Steel caps. not exactly riding boots, but they certainly keep my feet safe.

11. Smiley n Me

Smiley n Me Gold Member

Workboots, Rossi's for sure! They are just that much more comfortable with the air cushion soles. Keep your riding boots for riding etc, otherwise you just trash them!
    But go the Rossi's thats all I have ever had around my stables etc etc, they rule!
    [​IMG]

*Keep Smiling*

12. Birdarab

Birdarab Guest

I wear bloodstones all the time but when i ride i ride in an ariot type boot.If you are going to buy a pair of rossi or blood stones make sure you buy the ones with a cushioned sole. i went from a cushioned sole to a flat sole and my feet hurt so much, also always protect and clean your boots regular and they will last you many years. I spray the stuff you put on driza bones on my shoes my feet have never got wet. Un less i was walking in water. Best of luck shopping.

kathy

13. horsegirl

horsegirl Well-known Member

I use dubbin on my rossis... works a treat. Or use the avocado cream/gel stuff that you get in a tub from saddleries to use on leather saddles, I think its made by Effax.

14. Naomi

Naomi Well-known Member

hhmmm sounds like Rossis would be worth a try. I tried a pair on the other day with the gel thingo in them, more comfy than my old hunters...

"It is often said that if a dog is a man's best friend, then a horse is a man's best slave."

15. chavi

chavi Well-known Member

I had a pair of rossis for about 5 years before they finally fell apart, including slogging through muddy paddocks all winter. Really really comfortable.

If I just want something light I just wear my old Doc Martens now. If I'm doing 'serious' work - such as when I used to help out lopping trees - I have a pair of top-range work boots my dad scrounged from work for me. They fit a treat and I feel so secure and safe in them, they come halfway up my calf and have a reinforced steel toe!

- Danielle

16. Erin

Erin Well-known Member

I swear by my blundies....i wear them in and out places and good and bad places!..they are the most comfy boot i have ever worn.....(for me anywayz!)....but i also swear by having steel cap boots too....the amount of times my feet have been saved by that....but i'm lucky in price because my dad orders them through his company......i ride tho in my RM jodphur boots usually.

".......cos im country!"

17. Erin

Erin Well-known Member

I swear by my blundies....i wear them in and out places and good and bad places!..they are the most comfy boot i have ever worn.....(for me anywayz!)....but i also swear by having steel cap boots too....the amount of times my feet have been saved by that....but i'm lucky in price because my dad orders them through his company......i ride tho in my RM jodphur boots usually.

".......cos im country!"

18. realalvin

realalvin New Member

I used them. they fit my boys well. i prefer harrison howard. It works a treat.

19. Harney Stone Racing

Harney Stone Racing New Member

Your boots should be hard because on the Field more precaution is necessary.

20. PlumpRump

PlumpRump New Member

I wear hiking boots. At previous prep times I have gone for hard or metal toes but my pair right now it are just leather.

My riding boots are Ariats that I use solely for riding. I find them a little narrow for every day field work and not nearly as tough and long lasting as ankle high hiking boots, whilst having a similar pricetag.