Woohoo......Looking Better

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by CazzaRanne, Mar 14, 2012.

1. CazzaRanne

CazzaRanne New Member

After looking at some pictures tonight I am feeling good about the progress my mare is making.

Not long in town after the floods. I think this one she had been at the showgrounds for about two weeks.

[​IMG]

Yesterday at dinner time. (Please ignore the forelock and her hooves. Forelock has been de-bured and brushed and both my babies got their feet done today)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She is still lacking a bit of topline but other than that I am quite pleased with her progress. She is filling out nicely. And also happy to say that her bloods have finally come back clean after being off anti-biotics for eight weeks. Fingers crossed her stays infection free.

2. Macchiato

Macchiato Well-known Member

She is really picking up CR. Great work!!!

3. horse girl Jess

horse girl Jess Well-known Member

She has picked up nicely compared with your other photos well done :) What did she come down with?

4. tazzie13

tazzie13 Active Member

well done with her progress :)

5. CazzaRanne

CazzaRanne New Member

Hey HGJ, we still have no idea what she had. At first it started off with her going off her food, she would pick at it but that was about it, and then it was she wouldnt come in for dinner at all. Got the vet to check her over but he couldnt find anything so he took bloods. They came back full of anti-bodies. By the time we got the bloods back we had to take her to the property next to where she was and put her in the yards. Where she went down and wouldnt get back up. The vet scoped her (I think thats the name of where they stick the camera up her nose) he checked her lungs and her guts but found nothing. So made the decision to tube feed her. Fed her some sort of mix the vet gave me, had to mix it up like runny porridge. I cheated and put extra electrolytes and calf pab for extra nutrients.

The vet ended up doing an ultra-sound to check the rest of her insides, but found nothing there as well. Tube feeding for four days and an adrenaline shot got her back up on her feet but she still wouldn?t eat. I think I tube fed her for over a month (you loose track after a while), before she decided to even sniff her hay. All the time she was on an anti-biotic shot once a day. Dont know if it was helping or not. At the end of November the vet decided to take her off the anti-biotics and she went down again. Thought I was going to have to put her to sleep, but we fought on. Another adrenaline shot and back onto anti-biotics. Atleast I didn?t have to tube feed her again she decided to eat by herself that time. More bloods and the vet decided to wean her off the anti-biotics and her last dose was eight weeks ago.

My husband still complains about the amount of money I spent trying to get her to where she is now. But oh well. She is finally healthy again and now hoons around the arena like a two year old filly lol.