Wont stop- ex pacer

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by jump4joyxxxL99, Mar 22, 2012.

1. jump4joyxxxL99

jump4joyxxxL99 New Member

Hi,
    i have newly leased a recently ritired ex pacer and she wont stop.
    I hate pulling on horses mouths but thats the only option i have left, everytime i finish riding her it feel as if my shoulders have been ripped out of there sockets. Also she is really hard to get an even trot on and is uncomfortable to ride.
    Please help me!!! :(

2. shadowkat

shadowkat Well-known Member

3. beagle

beagle Well-known Member

aaahhh classic & oh dear.
    do you go to PC jump4joy?
    do you have lessons?
    I'm sure others on here will go into details about how to help, but I would prob get a good instructor to help you. Some things cannot be really well explained over the internet.
    Hope you can get some decent help.:)

4. Diana

Diana Gold Member

What shadowkat and beagle said :)

5. myyky

myyky Well-known Member

I'd get her remouthed.

As for even trot.. I'd probably lunge at trot, so she can gain her own muscle and balance in the gait, before expecting her to carry a rider and be balanced.

6. jlnew

jlnew Well-known Member

ive re-trained a few ex-pacers, not to high level or anything, just to a point where you can go for a ride. you need AT LEAST 6 months to get to that point. and one that wont stop now, will take even longer.

i reccomend getting help from someone with standy knowledge.

7. paula223

paula223 Gold Member

I have a Standie and can honestly say it took me at least 12 months taking my time and not rushing him
    Lots of walk hault trott walk hault No canter
    Just take your time as they really do need to get used to not having to go FAST
    My Boy used to have a real HARD mouth,
    Ive had him 2 yrs now and can honestly say taking things slow really did work )
    We eventually got the canter right after many a times i couldnt slow him down
    Things WILL come together but you realy do need to be patient

8. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

Okay, we will need to taylor our responses to your age and riding experience.

If you could give some more details, about what you have done, riding and training wise, then we might be able to answer your post in a more helpful way.

...and, welcome to stockies.:)*

9. Go the Distance

Go the Distance Well-known Member

Basically what everyone else has said. You will need help. You could try dropping the contact altogether and using voice command but as Deb2 said it is hard when we don't know where you are up to with riding.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING is to remember this horse is only doing what it thinks is right. It has been trained to pace in a set of harness and to go faster when someone leans on its mouth. You need to be gentle, patient and fair with it to retrain its brain to become a ridden horse. Any movement on its neck with the rein is a cue to go faster so if you are 'sawing' trying to get it to come back then it thinks this means go faster.

Best of Luck and do get some help in the form of lessons.

10. jump4joyxxxL99

jump4joyxxxL99 New Member

Thanks everyone! I think I will drop the contract because im only an intermediate rider looking for a more experinced allrounder horse but when I ride her i only ger frustrated and I no thats not good for the horse or me. I want to perfect my aids and seat but everytime i ride her i dont have the time to think about all that and all that I have learnt slips away.
    Thanks everyone for there time though it was all much appreciated!!!
    :D :eek:

11. Diana

Diana Gold Member

Good on you for being honest about your ability :) I personally think you'd be better off on a more experienced/trained horse. Especially while you're getting better with your aids and seat...
    IMO, if you're getting frustrated with a horse that you're riding, either get lessons (so that someone is there to help you work through things and give you ideas in the 'heat of the moment') or change the horse (much easier when it's a lease horse!) :D or even get lessons on a more experienced horse to improve your seat and aids then you'll be better equipped for riding the STB.

Good luck!

12. Leti loves Elmo

Leti loves Elmo Well-known Member

Do you know what her race name was?

13. Zegger

Zegger Well-known Member

Lessons,lessons,lessons :)

You are off to a good start though as you have a good attitude .

14. wawa85

wawa85 Guest

There's a great article in the current edition of Hoofbeats that might be of some help **)

15. EVP

EVP Gold Member

I hope the horse finds a good home.

16. abb77

abb77 Well-known Member

okay, i didnt read the other posts properly but using a pessoa before riding every time you ride for 15 mins helps alot. with my ex pacer someone suggested it to me and ever since he has been fantastic and is getting on the bit and using.his back legs to create a frame. but just b a little careful at.the start as hebmay freak out (because their muscles.he hasnt used before) also under saddle do lots of serpentines demi voltes, circles(which most likwy hewill be a litttle square and straight) carrot stretches are good for before and after riding . lots of praise too when he does trot:) also uphill work will help him balance and strengthen him up :) but dont try to canter until he has enough balance :D sorry if its.long but i know what position your in :)