Wont canter on right leg!

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by JuSt Me, Oct 17, 2004.

1. JuSt  Me

JuSt Me New Member

Hello everyone...Its hard to get my horse to canter on the right leg..he'll canter,but he wont canter on the right leg.I have tried getting him to canter at a corner and it hasn't worked yet.Any other suggestions?

Justme

2. Ren

Ren Well-known Member

i have a girl who i used to give lessons to with the same problem and i told her to have the horse working nicely on the bit and have them flexing properly so then they are balanced and once mastered that ask for canter and now she has no problems with wrong leads and a nice balanced horse

3. Kasia

Kasia Well-known Member

Make sure the horse is properly warmed up before you ask for canter. On both reins.
    Sounds like that's his bad side, so spend some more time stretching and flexing that side.
    Before you ask for canter right, do some circle work on that rein. Start with big circles, then spiral in, and spiral out again. Make sure he is correctly flexed around your leg, and soft and relaxed.
    Then when he is soft and flexed and ready, from a big circle, ask for canter. If he doesn't get it, bring him back, establish flexion, softness, impultion etc, make your circle slightly smaller and try again. But don't go into really small circles.

The most important thing is to have him soft and relaxed and flexed on BOTH reins before asking for canter. If he is not, he'll keep having trouble.

4. JuSt  Me

JuSt Me New Member

wHAT do you mean make him be able to flex?Like let him stretch him neck out or sumthin?And I dont mean he wont canter on him right leg,I mean he wont canter on the correct leg,Both ways.

Justme

5. Kasia

Kasia Well-known Member

Flexion is a very important part of riding, and you need to be shown it, and how to ask for it.
    I don't understand you, but the correct leg on the left rein, is the left inside front. And the correct leg on the right rein, is the right inside front. He shouldn't be cantering on the same lead on both reins.
    I strongly suggest you get some lessons.

6. Sparrow

Sparrow Guest

Hi JuSt Me,

I have had the same situation with my Appy, won't canter on the RH lead. Even now given a choice, he will naturally lead with his LH leg & will only change on a long ride if he gets tired with that lead, but will soon change back after a short RH lead. I'm assuming he is naturally Left Handed or the like.
    Our QH mare on the other hand will naturally lead on the correct leg just by changing directions.

Steve Brady showed me a good way to get him to lead with the RH leg instead of his (my horses) left lead.

Have a circle to the right maked out (or at least in your mind) about 10 metres diameter in your area where you exercise your horse, trot around the circle to the right then when you want to canter on the right lead, turn the horse away from the circle to the left for a few paces then turn hard right using your LH rein on the neck, pull him over back to the circle and ask for the canter using your correct seat, shoulder & leg aides.. You will find your horse will have to canter on the RH leg as he will be heading in that direction & it will be more comfortable for him than to try leading on his LH leg.

"Appaloosa's aren't mad, it's just their owners"

7. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe New Member

How are you asking for a canter? Do you just kick away until the horse canters?
    When you are trotting are you always rising on the correct diagonal to make sure the horse isnt developing stronger on his favorite side.

Your canter aid should be asked with your inside leg on the girth, and outside leg slightly behind it as this makes you open up your inside hip which should encourage the horse to strike off on the correct lead. You should also be asking for a canter from a sitting trot.

Are you getting lessons at all? If not I agree with the above posters....GET SOME. We cant see what you're doing wrong and all those little things that can contribute to the mistakes. An instructor on the ground can, and will be able to show you how to fix your mistakes.

I do not love the sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend

8. supersezabell

supersezabell Well-known Member

i so know what it feels like, my arab will choose if she wants to canter onto the right lead- ive done flexing, around corners, flexing her outside then making her go and had heaps of instructors try and it all comes down to she wont do it unless she wants to, like one week before a test id practised and practised with my friend and ally would start out on the wrong leg then after 3 strides change over to the correct lead and we were coming along really good then on that test day she wasnt having a bar of it cos she didnt want to. all i can say is time can help i first started by making her jump a trot pole and then she would go on the correct leg but then i stopped having lessons as we would only work on ally and i mean it did help but its still all down to whether she will or wont. (and we've had physio and chiro to check her and shes fine and ive had her 2yrs and shes only improved to now she can where as before she couldnt at all.) so i just say try your best.

Sez

9. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

All I can say is stick with the lessons, the instructor will be able to explain things betta then we can here...

Sarah

~All time is wasted what is not spent with horses.~

10. JuSt  Me

JuSt Me New Member

I cant afford lessons atm.

Justme

11. Kasia

Kasia Well-known Member

I understand not being able to afford regular lessons. I'm in the same boat.
    But if you can get a lessons here and there, it's better than nothing. Just do what you can and know how between them, and get your instructor to give you lots to work on so you don't get bored.
    Is there any way your parents could give you an early Christmas present and maybe pay for a few lessons? Or maybe you could go halves with them? Just giving ideas.

Basically, flexion is bend. But a horse must bend around your inside leg. And this is NOT done by just pulling the inside rein. The whole body of the horse must bend, like a rubber band, not just his head and neck. He must be going forward with lots of impultion (energy) first to get any kind of decent bend.
    And a horse much have flexion in walk, trot and canter, on all circles and corners. He must not lean on a circle or corner to go round it. He must bend around the corner, around your inside leg.
    So, in the aid for canter, you have to get flexion first, before you can use your legs to ask for the actual aid.

It's hard to explain on the net. If you can afford one or 2 lessons, please do find someone decent, as a good instructor is priceless.

12. Shaliston

Shaliston New Member

I've got the same problem but with me it is because I lean inwards so I really have to exagerate having all of my weight on the outside. And 9 times out of 10 it works it's just a habit I need to get out of. As my instructor tells me it's usually not the horse it is the rider.
    make sure you are in the correct position - evenly balanced I've noticed that if I'm slightly out in one area everything goes.

13. JuSt  Me

JuSt Me New Member

But the nearest riding school is 10 mins away from me and they charge $88 a week and im kinda scard of them coz when i originally went there b4 i got chester I was riding a little 4yo,Mcbrannis,Hes so cool.lol.Anyway he bucked and cantered into the middle,so she got him and whipped him and he was running away from her and I was upset,im scard they might so the same to chester.

Justme

14. Kasia

Kasia Well-known Member

Get private lessons.

Riding schools are fine, until a certain point. Every single one i've been to never mentioned anything about the seat or weight or how to use either one. When these 2 things are the MOST important in riding. It's not about hands and legs. Your first aid is always your seat. I have yet to learn of a riding school with teaches this, and harder still, teaches it in a proper manner.

And if a riding school teacher does that to a 4yo, i'm sorry, but there has to be something wrong with that person. And it's bad enough they put you on a 4yo in the first place. I would definatelly not be getting lessons from her. You are right to be worried about your horse.
    Speaking of that, if you ever get an instructor who is ever cruel, tell them you don't agree. If they are rude to you and say 'this is how it's done', then say 'no thankyou, goodbuy'. Do not settle for any kind of cruelty to your horse.
    When you find a good instructor, you will be able to trust them in whatever they ask you.

Instructors advertise in the local paper, or on the net, or you could ask around for someone good.

Private instuctors charge from about $30 per hour, depending on how qualified they are. But if you don't want to do an hour, ask for a half hour rate. For a first lesson, i don't suggest more than half an hour anyway, because you may not like the person. And private lessons are a lot harder than group lessons, and you and the horse get mentally and physically very tired. So half and hour in my mind is enough for the first few times. That's what i do anyway.

Also some come to you, some may prefer you go to them.

15. Pepsea

Pepsea Gold Member

i was taught on riding school horses in group lessons for about 5years. My instructor was into dressage, so it was flat work for us, and her sister was into jumping so you didnt jumping some if you were in her lessons, anyway i did flat work most of my lessons, i went to various camps over the years, etc when we were taught to canter it was in the corner, horse flexed, sitting trot, Horse not rushing!! then ask for canter.. if the horse was not flexed or was rushing we would circle untill the horse was relaxed, then ask again. as we got better we would go figure eights with a simple change etc, spiran in and out etc, etc and ask for the canter transition on a straight...

pepper was having a bit of trouble with the correct leg, so now i am doing a lot of exercises to get him bending and flexing more, and 3 out of 5times he will canter on the correct leg, i have to keep working on it now.

<center><font color=green> Emma, Pepper, Saxon

16. Denny

Denny Well-known Member

Bend and flexion - are two different things......

Bend occurs in the horses BODY from the wither to the dock... and the aids for bend come from our legs.....

Flexion occurs at the poll (at the joint below the poll where the skull joins onto the first cervical vertebrae to be correct) and there are two types of flexion - Lateral flexion (ie left and right) and Longtitudinal flexion (up and down or infront of the vertical or behind the vertical....) The aids for flexion comes from the rein.

So when a horse is on a circle eg to the right he must follow the line of the circle with his whole body in correct bend and
    flexion. To determine that you have enough (lateral) flexion on a circle you should be able to see your horses inside eyebrown and nostril - not the flat of its face (too much inside rein) or the outside eyebrow and nostril (too much outside rein)

The amount of bend is determined by the size of the circle or curved line eg a 20 metre circle less bend is needed than on an 8 metre voltre.

Flexion can occur without bend eg in leg yeild we would like the horse straight in its body with flexion to the inside and the horse stepping away from out inside leg.

Bend cannot occur without flexion..... eg our horse on the 20 metre circle or in half pass the horse is bent and flexed in the direction of travel...

LOL - I've probably opened up a can of worms - but one of my biggest pet peeves is students not knowing the difference between bend and flexion. The WORST comment a student can make to me is "my horse is flexed around my inside leg"...... It is impossible for this to happen......

(a bit like a Dressage judge commenting that my horses walk needed "more impulsion" How can I have implusion in the walk when there is no moment of suspension........ What they meant (I hope) is that the walk needed more engery or activity!!!!!

Ok - I'll get back in my box now!!!!

" Make each day count"

17. valkyrie

valkyrie New Member

That was beautifully said Denny. I can't stand it when people get those two mixed up either.

Time is an illusion; lunchtime doubly so.

18. Kasia

Kasia Well-known Member

Hmm, i think that was aimed at me guys?
    Yes, you are right. I was wrong, got it mixed up.

19. Denny

Denny Well-known Member

No Kasia it wasn't aimed at you, rather at everyone on this forum that has made a comment about their horse "flexing" through its body..... or something to that effect!!!

I bring this up every so often..... as its a real pet peeve of mine!!!!

" Make each day count"

20. valkyrie

valkyrie New Member

Don't stress I didn't mean you either, actually until you mentioned it I didn't know you had brought it up. Naughty me just skimmed through the thread without reading it properly.

Sorry, no offence meant.

Time is an illusion; lunchtime doubly so.