Wolf Teeth

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Diana, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Diana

Diana Gold Member

BIL has informed me that Dave has wolf teeth and they're probably upsetting him when I ride. I have ridden since but used a bit with rubber that BIL let me borrow so that it's not as painful for Dave. (I honestly don't know how painful it is for him, he was a lot better with the rubber bit like BIL told me.)

So I'm wondering about costs, how, what the surgery is and recovery and things like that.

If anyone could give me any information they know that would be lovely :)*

2. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Surgery? How old is Dave? My 3.5yo had his (just coming thru) pulled out last week. Cost $55

3. Diana

Diana Gold Member

Oh ok.. Yeah shows how much I know. So it's not a surgery? More like humans getting teeth pulled. That makes sense!! (OW!)

He's 8. I got him as a 5/6 year old.

4. kp

kp Well-known Member

I had Rachel Stone out last time. Cost me $130 for removal of four teeth (two wolf teeth) and floating his teeth. I didn't put a bridle on for a few days after. I wouldn't put a bridle on your horse until they are removed as they can be painful no matter what bit you use. They have wolf teeth come through at around 18 months. I always remove them as soon as possible.

5. kp

kp Well-known Member

Have you had his teeth done since you have had him? If you have, the dentist should have seen them and adviced you to remove them then.

6. Go the Distance

Go the Distance Well-known Member

I had my endurance mares wolf teeth removed in May. Can't remember how much it cost because I had a whole heap of other stuff on the bill as well. I am still finding she is sensitive in the mouth after thier removal so I am staying bitless at the moment.

7. kasper

kasper Active Member

Two of my geldings still have their wolf teeth, one is 6 the other 8 and neither of them have any problems. I did consult my dentist and he was not concerned and said to only remove them if they caused any issues.

8. Diana

Diana Gold Member

Yeah I haven't actually had him done since I got him :eek: I think the dentist will be coming sometime soon cos there are some horses here whose teeth need doing. Dave is definitely one of them.

I was having lessons and the instructor didn't say anything about the wolf teeth. I guess they weren't causing problems then?

How far does Rachel Stone travel?

9. Double Helix

Double Helix Well-known Member

I have a 17yo gelding who I have had for 11 years. In that time he has had regular dental checks by a few different dentists. Last year I used a different dentist who discovered he still had one wolf tooth growing at a funny angle!!! No-one had ever mentioned it...

Needless to say it was removed (can't remember exactly how much but not much more than $100 for wolf tooth removal and general file under sedation). He is no different in the mouth to ride but I am sure it is more comfortable for him.

10. kp

kp Well-known Member

Wolf teeth generally cause problems. Some horses won't tell you so loudly. I don't put bridles on them for a little while after. Having a tooth removed has to hurt. Wolf teeth cause problems as they tend to move when the bit contacts them. Would have to be a horrible feeling. We never leave them in. Rather prevent my horse developing bitting issues because of these than trying to fix it later.

For the OP, please get your horses teeth done by a professional more frequently. I have seen some truly horrible things in horses mouths because they didn't have there teeth done. Nothing worse than opening a horses mouth to find large caudal hooks, severe ulcers on there cheeks and tongue due to sharp edges. Even my broodmares have there teeth done once a year.

11. BitBankAustralia

BitBankAustralia Well-known Member

Ok, two things- A lot of people do this-don't confuse Wolf Teeth (small teeth hard up against the molars) with Canine teeth (the pointy fellas that pop out in the gap between the incisors and molars, and stand alone- mares and geldings can get canines, but generally geldings)

Secondly, please do not ride your horse in a bit until you have the wolf teeth removed. You can do ALOT of damage to the inside of the cheeks that you will not see, and can cause a lot of pain and discomfort. It is a very simple procedure to knock the wolf teeth out and a good dentist will do this for you.

For more information on teeth, I can highly recommend this website Dr Shannon is awesome and a great educator. For some scary photos of things he has found in horse's mouths, check out their FB page.

12. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

ditto to all of the above (including the dentist):D My pony was done a few weeks ago at about 20 months.

not the clearest photo
    [​IMG]

13. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

Buckley had his wolf teeth come in at about 5yrs old. Rachel had done his teeth previously and was sure over the phone that I was mistaken when I said he had wolf teeth to be removed - but sure enough!

Regular dentristry is so important, especially for ridden horses. How can you expect them to have nice soft, willing contact if their mouth hurts, even just a bit?

14. Diana

Diana Gold Member

Yeah I can't imagine it's nice for him at all :( definitely a good thing I've hardly ridden lately (about 3 times in 3 months).

Are there any dentists who can travel about 4 hours from Perth? Or even 2 hours..?

Or even better, are there any vets (who can do horse teeth) around Merredin/Koorda way?

15. Diana

Diana Gold Member

Oops. Yeah I think I mean canine teeth in that case?

checking out the website now :)

Thanks everyone :) hopefully by the end of this week I'll have something sorted out for Dave.

16. BitBankAustralia

BitBankAustralia Well-known Member

Well, the canine teeth don't get removed. If they are bothering him, it may be becuase they are just erupting (like teething children) and the gums are sore, or if your bit sits too low in the mouth and is banging on the canines- this can be very painful and cause a lot of damage to the tooth.

For some info on how the bit should fit in the mouth, see my latest blog post.

17. Diana

Diana Gold Member

Oh alrighty.. Well I'll need to get a dentist out anyway. So I'll ask them what they think. And see what needs doing with my bit. It's just a french link loose ring snaffle...

Thanks for the blog link :) good read.

18. Diana

Diana Gold Member

Mini update :)

The farm is having a vet out for other horses very soon!! :D and Dave will be able to be done then :D WOOT!

Until then I might just do some ground work with him :) get that back in order :D

19. Cadabby

Cadabby Well-known Member

Hi Diana,
    We had a dentist come out this way a couple of months ago. If you send your e-mail address to Max W then she'll put you on her e-mail list and you'll know when the dentist is next coming. We normally have him visit every 6 months, but he's pretty booked up so you have to get in quick.
    Glad that the vet is coming this time, but for next time you'll know :)
    Also, the guy who comes out is accredited with Equine Dental Assoc. of Aust. **) so you know he should do a good job.

20. Diana

Diana Gold Member

Woohoo thanks for that!! I'll send it to her! (pretty sure I have her address on some of the PC stuff I get sent...) **)
    Cheers :)