Wolf Teeth Query?

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Go the Distance, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Go the Distance

Go the Distance Well-known Member

My new little arab mare had her wolf teeth removed today. My vet said no bit in her mouth for a week which is fine but I wondered when it would be OK to ride in a hackamore? She is fine to ride in a hackamore normally. I should have asked him but forgot.

Has anyone else had experience with horses who have had thier wolf teeth removed?

2. taeliesyn

taeliesyn Well-known Member

I would just give her the week off, it's not fun having teeth pulled

3. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

Were they big?

Ty had tiiiiiny little ones - but they were in strange places....much further back in the jaw. Im thinking this may have something to do with his reluctance with the bit recently.

Yeah.....give her the week off.

But honestly - people jump when you touch a post extraction site up to 3 months after extraction, so.....I honestly would be wary for a while.

4. Go the Distance

She never seemed overly concerned by thier removal. She happily had a rope halter on this arvo when I rasped her feet. She then played in the paddock with me at liberty, was stuffing herself with grass and her dinner. The anaesthetic would have well and truly worn off by then. They are very small teeth with a small root that were quite easily removed under sedation.

I can understand why you would not seat a bit over the area where the teeth were removed but wondered about a hackamore or rope halter for ground work and riding. She is pretty 'feral beryl' so I do not want to leave her unhandled for a week.

Then again maybe she should be left for a week';'.

5. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

I reckon she will be fine with riding in a hackamore if they were small **)

6. Jacky Y

Jacky Y New Member

Wolf teeth

I would be listening to my horse in this situation. If she is showing no problems and is happily eating and hooning round the paddock, I would be continuing with ground work etc and if she is happily being ridden in a halter or hackamore I would be continuing with light work. However if she is head shaking or tail swishing or throwing witchy faces at you then I would stop. Wolf teeth are usually very small and don't cause much of a problem but without seeing the inside of her mouth it is hard to say.

7. Go the Distance

Thanks Jacky:). We had a gorgeous walk in hand this morning (7km) with her Renegades on for the first time. We got to visit Sharaway and a few other people so we had a lovely morning together. She was extremely well behaved through out it all and showed no discomfort around her face at all and was stuffing down green grass at every opportunity (I got her from Boyup Brook so she thinks she is in heaven here:D).

8. Mardi

Mardi Active Member

What colour is she GTD? I thought I saw an extra one yesterday.

9. Go the Distance

Hey Mardi:). She is a darker grey and only small 14.1hh. She isn't living with my QH's I have got her at Manni Rd. I saw you working at the outdoor at the AEC**) when I walked past.

10. Mardi

Mardi Active Member

Swear I saw another one there yesterday *#)

11. Go the Distance

Oh she was there yesterday!! She was getting her teeth done. Sorry I thought you meant today:D. Glad someone is keeping tabs on how many horses I have Mardi because I am starting to get confused!

12. Mardi

Mardi Active Member

LOL, yep yesterday.

Thank God because I swear I saw an extra and from a distance she looked pally but grey would make sense.*#)