Wolf teeth in older horses

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Brodie1808, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Brodie1808

Brodie1808 Active Member

When the vet did Banjo's teeth a few weeks ago, he told me that he still has his wolf teeth but because of his age, they couldnt/shouldnt be knocked out. He said they wouldnt be a problem and would just need yearly filing, like the reast of his teeth...

Now, when we had a different vet from a different practice come out to do the 10yr old donkeys teeth, he knocked his wolf teeth out... (i wasnt there so couldnt ask questions)

what are peoples thoughts on this?? and has anyone ever had problems with wolf teeth?

2. himitsu

himitsu Well-known Member

how old?
    Buckley grew wolf teeth as a 5 yr old (even though the dentist was adement over the phone he was too old - she ate her hat when she actually looked in his mouth!) and had them taken out no worries.

3. Brodie1808

Brodie1808 Active Member

he's 8. Yeah i just assumed they would be taken out, and the vet was surprised as he is an ex racehorse. This vet is supposedly the highest trained teeth vet in queensland??? so i just assumed he knew best.

4. pso

pso Gold Member

cant say I've ever heard of that...

I'd want then out if he was mine!

5. OBHH

OBHH Well-known Member

I had my little mare done when i bought her, she is 9 years old and still had wolf teeth. The dentist said that normally they can still have wolf teeth and carry a bit quite happily where as some horses cant, they need to have them removed. My mares would of been causing her discomfort with the bit so he removed them but cracked one off in the process at gum level. He said it should just be fine and to check again in a years time, which is due oct .

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  6. Mouse

Mouse Well-known Member

My gelding is 11 and still has his wolf teeth. They don't bother him at all.

7. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

Funnily...and thankfully neither of my horses have wolf teeth**)
    Where on earth did i hear that mares arent supposed to get them though???

8. Brodie1808

Brodie1808 Active Member

Have been doing a bit of reading and apparently both sexes can get wolf teeth, but only the males get canines? i think that was what i read...

9. Ren

Ren Well-known Member

my boy is rising 6yrs and he still has his wolf teeth and thats by my choice coz he is happy with the bit etc but will get them removed when the dentist is due back so i can get rid of them before it causes problems

10. Brodie1808

Brodie1808 Active Member

hmmmm, all the reading ive been doing suggests that there is no reason why they shouldnt be removed, even if he is older. I think my vet may have been too busy on the day.....grrrrr

But i guess he also took into consideration that he's not a performance horse, they r only very small and close to the back molars and i havent noticed any problems teeth or head wise with him.

but i might bear that in mind next teeth time

11. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

Ummm okay thats prob what i was thinkign of!